GDT: Oilers Rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears | Rexall | 7:00 PM MST | 9.16.15 | Streamed

McDeathbyCheerios*

I can't wait til McDavid is playing with quality NHL linemates. Watching him last night and I get the impression that he would play really well with a player like Eberle. There were numerous times when the puck was chipped to the boards in the Oilers zone to the winger and McDavid was cruising all free waiting for a nice chip pass from the winger but it never materialized. And Eberle is great at those one touch chip passes from the boards.
Hall - McDavid - Eberle would be one of the highest scoring lines in the league in a few years.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Draisitl and McDavid go without speaking.

I don't get this crap about Nurse settling his game down. He rushes the puck a lot but he doesn't get burned from it. He doesn't generate as many scoring chances as you'd like from it is what everyone has a problem with. I think it's something you grow and develop. Not something you Settle down.

I agree with this. Rishaug has been going on about how he wasn't too impressed with Nurse in Penticton because "he's doing too much" or something to the effect. I thought he was great in Pentiction, but had a bit of an off night last night. If he doesn't get burned on it and his play is effective I don't understand why people are insistent that he plays more conservatively.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree with this. Rishaug has been going on about how he wasn't too impressed with Nurse in Penticton because "he's doing too much" or something to the effect. I thought he was great in Pentiction, but had a bit of an off night last night. If he doesn't get burned on it and his play is effective I don't understand why people are insistent that he plays more conservatively.
Nurse thrives with a good system. Something pickup games simply don't have.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Here's my post game report! As I attend about 30+ games a year, I'm gonna try and do this somewhat often!

-snip-

The summary - Great to get back into Rexall. The buzz in the crowd is amazing. I just have this feeling that the McDavid effect (Not the crappy financial situation i'm now in because of him) is really going to carry over to the main team. Even at 75%, he is a competitor. There's a very different feel around the rink. I'm used to going into the games in September/October full of optimism and saying 'This is our year!' I don't feel like saying that this year... But i feel something a little bit more calming. Quiet confidence. And for the first time in a long long time, it's fun to go to a game again.

-Thanks for reading! This was really my first attempt at a post game write up, so any and all feedback, good and bad, is welcome and appreciated. And please don't mind the spelling/grammar mistakes. Cheers!

-Timo

Thanks for doing this! I also miss LMHF's reports. Unless the mods disagree, I'd say feel free to make your own thread for these - LMHF used to have one and I liked having them in a separate place to find.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Thanks for doing this! I also miss LMHF's reports. Unless the mods disagree, I'd say feel free to make your own thread for these - LMHF used to have one and I liked having them in a separate place to find.

The PGTs suffice for these. LMHF sorta got grandfathered in. With some insightful thoughts and good storytelling, I don't see why Timo or anyone else couldnt one day become an exception.

Until then, let's keep it in the PGTs where we can all share and discuss.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I can understand the "he tries to do too much" criticism of Nurse sometimes, but I think also that it's a bit overstated as something he simply must take out of his game.

His absolute greatest asset is his supreme athleticism, which comes out most when he's carrying the puck out of the zone by breaking a forecheck all by himself. Sure it would do him good to sometimes let the puck do the work instead of spending a lot of energy ragging the puck around until he gets himself in trouble, but I sure wouldn't want to completely take his athletic ability out of his game and turning him into a static dman who spends all game trying to thread passes out to the forwards. It's not like his pass out of the zone is poor or anything, but IMO it's not his best asset.

Sometimes I think the "does too much" criticism for him becomes a misrepresentation of what he's really doing, which is him trying to leverage his best asset and be a difference maker in a game. It may get him and his team into trouble sometimes, but it also may result in a great play that never would've materialized if he had pulled back and not put himself in a position of risk.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
The PGTs suffice for these. LMHF sorta got grandfathered in. With some insightful thoughts and good storytelling, I don't see why Timo or anyone else couldnt one day become an exception.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks, guys!

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Agreed. I didn't have a problem with LMHF's reports being in a separate thread, but it did lead to a bunch of duplicated discussion.

oilz89*

After several viewings, I'm not seeing Crosby tier from McDavid. I'm seeing a tier or two below. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really hoping he turns it up and shows more for how he was hyped.

U do know he was barely trying right?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Last year I went to Boston and watched BU and BC with Eichel and Hanifin both played. In March I went to the CIS in Halifax to see Alberta. Without a doubt, Alberta would be a top dog in NCAA

Alberta has the advantage of having all the ex-WHL players. If they were to join the NCAA almost their entire team would be ineligible.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
U do know he was barely trying right?

It was fairly obvious that Mcdavid was on shinny mode but he was still able to pretty much do whatever he wanted. It's still pretty amazing how he is always able to create scoring chances. You can't even blink when he's on the ice or you'll end up missing something.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
McDavids passing is well above average by NHL standards. Coupled with speed and smarts.. His linemates may have career years :)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just want to credit both teams for putting on a great show. Very entertaining game, high quality, talent on ice obvious, and in every way a satisfying game.

Its the only game I will attend this season in likelihood so nice to be able to see a good one and see kids and families witness a contest that was well competed and that the players tried in. Neither club treated this like just another game which was refreshing.

Hats off to all the young players from both teams that showed so much. Credit to the Bears also for handling the nerves of playing in front of a packed NHL arena. That had to be a different feeling for them and they handled it fine other than being shaky on opening shifts. I was amazed how readily the Bears settled in.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
After several viewings, I'm not seeing Crosby tier from McDavid. I'm seeing a tier or two below. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really hoping he turns it up and shows more for how he was hyped.

i agree, mcdavid isn't crosby, but he's likely a bigger kane that plays a more important position, and who takes the game more seriously .... that is fine by me

mcdavid's game won't translate to the NHL like crosby's did, since crosby's game is so cycle-based, and mcdavid's is so rush-based.... the cycle game is the NHL style much moreso... but the same thing can be said about kane, and he is a top-10 forward in the world

people need to stop comparing mcdavid to crosby, they are completely different players style-wise, its not a good comparison at all.... nor is tavarres or stamkos, completely different players.... mcdavid is his own person, and while he isn't likely going to have the same success that crosby did, i'll take a "kane level" center any day of the week and be happy for it

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i agree, mcdavid isn't crosby, but he's likely a bigger kane that plays a more important position, and who takes the game more seriously .... that is fine by me

mcdavid's game won't translate to the NHL like crosby's did, since crosby's game is so cycle-based, and mcdavid's is so rush-based.... the cycle game is the NHL style much moreso... but the same thing can be said about kane, and he is a top-10 forward in the world

people need to stop comparing mcdavid to crosby, they are completely different players style-wise, its not a good comparison at all.... nor is tavarres or stamkos, completely different players.... mcdavid is his own person, and while he isn't likely going to have the same success that crosby did, i'll take a "kane level" center any day of the week and be happy for it

Its my take right now in recent seasons that Crosby isn't Crosby.

I think what gets forgotten in the consideration of greats is that they all have a certain time line when they are truly at their best. Lemieux, Gretz, Crosby, Orr, etc all have periods of time within their NHL careers when they were the best. Theres less and less games in Crosbys canon where he truly seperates himself from the pack in big games like playoff games.

In anycase comparisons are so much noise. Enjoy the players attributes and what they do at face value. Comparison is meaningless and not very fulfilling.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011

really? I think it'll translate just as good as crosbys. I think you're underrating his cycle game. He isn't the absolute greatest at winning board battles but as soon as he gets the puck, he makes a very beneficial pass to someone to open up a lane

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse has certainly trying to do too much in this young stars tourney and da bears game.

But he was not doing too much of that in the playoffs and almost none in the WJC. I think he was just fooling around in these means nothing games. Think he will drop most of that come training camp/preseason.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Not picking on your post, but just building on it a bit.

People keep mentioning the "bigger Kane" thing with McDavid.

I think most people are underestimating what a "bigger Kane" actually is.

5'10" Kane scores PPG playing primarily a perimeter game and in a less influential position than C.

McDavid will be scary once he figures out the NHL game (which won't take long).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not picking on your post, but just building on it a bit.

People keep mentioning the "bigger Kane" thing with McDavid.

I think most people are underestimating what a "bigger Kane" actually is.

5'10" Kane scores PPG playing primarily a perimeter game and in a less influential position than C.

McDavid will be scary once he figures out the NHL game (which won't take long).

oh i agree... i'm one of the guys that uses the "bigger kane" comparison a lot, but in no way whatsoever do i mean that as an insult on mcdavid... i'll take a "bigger kane that plays C" every day of the week thanks :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad