GDT: Oilers Rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears | Rexall | 7:00 PM MST | 9.16.15 | Streamed

Oct 15, 2008
Here's my post game report! As I attend about 30+ games a year, I'm gonna try and do this somewhat often!

Connor McDavid - This was my first time seeing McDavid play live, and I can now fully appreciate what everyone who has seen him play says. Even playing a relaxed game at about, I would say 75% effort, his skills and abilities are undoubtedly the real deal. Watching him on TV or highlights on youtube doesn't do his game justice. The best display of his awareness and skill set was when a pass was flipped up over a defender and him and he used his stick to cradle the puck in the air to set it down and take a shot. If he was standing still it would be an incredible display of coordination... He was in full flight.

Leon Draisaitl - Man amongst boys. Sublime puck protection, passing, and vision. His foot speed still isn't perfect, but it's noticeably better than a year ago. I believe he will earn his spot on this team as a winger. I think with the focus on McDavid, Nurse, Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Etc... he has a real chance to surprise people. Love his game.

Darnell Nurse - I absolutely love how nasty Darnell is, but he is still raw. He seems to hyper focus on rushing the puck up ice rather than finding the best first pass. This could be a product of playing with players that didn't adequately provide an outlet pass to be made, but I sense that Darnell's game is still not as settled as it needs to be. Simply put, he is still trying to do too much. He will not make the team this year, in my opinion. Not if he doesn't settle down his game, which i am confident he can and will do. Physical beast, and dominant presence, which is much needed on this team. We need him to develop the way we know he can.

Joey LaLeggia - I really liked Joey's game tonight. He doesn't seem to have one glaring issue or one glowing facet, but rather a very strong 2 way game. I like that he got popped behind his own net and got back up dutifully to contribute on a scoring chance. Has a really good sense for the play. Size may be his only downside, but his smarts seem to make up for it. I think given some time, we have a gem in Joey.

Eetu Laurikainen - I felt that his first period was decent, but really scambly. Maybe it was a case of nerves, but the moment he got a hair out of position, he was a total mess. That being said, I didn't think that he found himself in that position too too often. Has a great glove and very solid rebound control. I couldn't begin to give him an accurate projection, but I did like his game!

Anton Slepyshev - Big man plays a big game. His skating impressed me. I knew he had hands, but he moves that frame around the ice very well. I wouldn't doubt that he sees some time in the show due to injuries on the big club this year. Still adjusting to a smaller ice surface, it seems, but overall I liked his game quite a bit. He seems to be a big guy who actually realizes he's a big guy. The anti-Penner.

Caleb Jones - Did not like his game very much, actually. I didn't think it was terrible, but he made questionable plays time and time again. I like his physicality, but his puck distribution decisions were not good. He seems to panic easy and fire the puck away without a plan. He actually reminded me of Nurse in his first ever game in an Oilers uniform. I think there is a player there, but he's a long long long ways away.

Braden Christoffer - I really liked Christoffer's game tonight. He was quiet, but reasonably effective. Let's just say he didn't hurt us. I think given some time he could end up playing in the league some day. He needs to work on a few things (Defensive zone, quicker decision making, not holding on the puck as much) But I think he could be a guy with the right development that could actually go somewhere.

Kyle Platzer Meh. Didn't really mind him, but I didn't really care for him. Made me say 'What are you DOING??' a couple times. Plays physical. that's about it.

Ben Betker - Terrible. I don't know if I just watched him on bad shifts, or if they were all bad... I didn't like his game at all. If his thing is being big, then it's not enough for him to go any further than tonight.

Josh Winquist Seems to me like he plays a pretty feisty game. He seems to always be involved in the play. I like that. Still a very raw player, but I see a lot of good offensive upside with Winny.

Cole Sanford Didn't notice him overly much. Maybe I was distracted by his center. Who know who. Colin McDaniel, or whatever his name is. Played good. Didn't really have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Rihards Bukarts No. Just. No. I can't tell you how many times i had my hands in the air screaming 'WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?' Pass.

The rest - Outside of the aforementioned players, I thought the rest of team played a good game. No one stuck out one way or the other for me to really say.

The summary - Great to get back into Rexall. The buzz in the crowd is amazing. I just have this feeling that the McDavid effect (Not the crappy financial situation i'm now in because of him) is really going to carry over to the main team. Even at 75%, he is a competitor. There's a very different feel around the rink. I'm used to going into the games in September/October full of optimism and saying 'This is our year!' I don't feel like saying that this year... But i feel something a little bit more calming. Quiet confidence. And for the first time in a long long time, it's fun to go to a game again.

-Thanks for reading! This was really my first attempt at a post game write up, so any and all feedback, good and bad, is welcome and appreciated. And please don't mind the spelling/grammar mistakes. Cheers!

-Timo

There used to be someone here that used to do these, but then they just disappeared, so we need you now, more than ever, to pick up the baton and finish what that poor long suffering poster started so long ago.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
After several viewings, I'm not seeing Crosby tier from McDavid. I'm seeing a tier or two below. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really hoping he turns it up and shows more for how he was hyped.

I hope these viewing were only the prospects games then. I watched all of his playoff games and see him equal, if not better than Crosby at that age.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Agree with all of them except Papirny. would have liked to see him.

Just saw this - bit surprised that they sent Papirny back so quickly, but they will already have 4 goalies at camp. I would have liked a bit longer look at Bukarts as well, I thought he showed decently well.

Also a little surprised Sanford stuck around - I'm guessing they're still considering him as an AHL option.

Interesting that the only junior eligible guys they kept were Jones, Bear, and the little bulldozer that could, Leveille.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just saw this - bit surprised that they sent Papirny back so quickly, but they will already have 4 goalies at camp. I would have liked a bit longer look at Bukarts as well, I thought he showed decently well.

Also a little surprised Sanford stuck around - I'm guessing they're still considering him as an AHL option.

Interesting that the only junior eligible guys they kept were Jones, Bear, and the little bulldozer that could, Leveille.

They have 6 goalies in camp, so even less space for Papirny. Jones and Bear likely getting some NHL camp experience and Leveille has earn his spot to be in camp at this point, imo.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I honestly think McDavid is so humble that he doesnt wanna show up his teamate rookies and is only trying as hard as he has to out there.

Incredible skating and no one on that team can keep up. His brain is so fast, he anticipates the play like I havent seen in a long time. When you see him wind up its over for the other team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's something everyone on the team will get used to sooner or later. Especially when the team hits the road for games. You think our media is bad about it? Just wait until the first Eastern road trip.

I imagine most of them will just start laughing it off.

Either that or turning it into a joke.

"McDavid is a horrible hockey player - don't get what all the hype was about - we should have sent him back to junior - also he snores really loudly and his feet stink"

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Leveille was easily the third best defenseman last night to me(behind Nurse and Laleggia). He's definitely earned the extra look he's getting in main camp, and I still think he's tracking well towards leaving here with an ELC.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Jones and Bear were a disaster on the ice. They broke them up early thank god, but both still had really rough games. After the split game, they will be sent down for sure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Leveille was easily the third best defenseman last night to me(behind Nurse and Laleggia). He's definitely earned the extra look he's getting in main camp, and I still think he's tracking well towards leaving here with an ELC.

Agreed with this. Admittedly Betker had a rough couple games and looked better earlier on, but I caught myself thinking 'why is this soon to be 21 year old turning pro with an ELC looking like he's holding back an undrafted 18 year old kid?'

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
There used to be someone here that used to do these, but then they just disappeared, so we need you now, more than ever, to pick up the baton and finish what that poor long suffering poster started so long ago.

We all suffer the loss of LMHF's contribution on this board.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I honestly think McDavid is so humble that he doesnt wanna show up his teamate rookies and is only trying as hard as he has to out there.

Incredible skating and no one on that team can keep up. His brain is so fast, he anticipates the play like I havent seen in a long time. When you see him wind up its over for the other team.

I had this feeling at times in the OHL playoffs as well. Sometimes it felt like if he wanted to he could have just kept the puck himself and scored 5 goals a game, but he didn't want to look like a puck hog so he'd pass instead. It is going to be super interesting to see what he can do with players that can actually keep up with him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jones and Bear were a disaster on the ice. They broke them up early thank god, but both still had really rough games. After the split game, they will be sent down for sure.

I think it's more on Bear than anything. Jones was pretty much trying to cover for Bear's mistakes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it was a combo of the both, I thought both had poor games even after they seperated them.

They were never actually separated, not sure why you think that.

They got a bit better as the game went along, they just looked like 18 year olds over matched by the Bears.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Yeah, they both looked a little lost at times for sure. They'll be sent down soon for sure, maybe even before the SS games.

I do think that they're good prospects and they'll play a lot in the dub and come back better. It's hard to judge 18 year old mid to late round picks in these games and tournaments when everyone is either older or a prodigy.

This is just supposed to show these guys how things work at the next level and what it takes to get there.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
They were never actually separated, not sure why you think that.

They got a bit better as the game went along, they just looked like 18 year olds over matched by the Bears.

Hmmm are you sure? I thought they played together in the first, then were split up, managed to play a shift somehow in the 2nd together, then didnt. I could be wrong though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

It was special seeing this wasn't it. Few other players have done this to me. He jumps right up and commands attention in his pay. The sublime skills. Taking a puck out of mid air, batting it down and putting himself on a break. Making players come to him knowing it opens up somebody else. Effortlessly finding others in open ice. Not to mention all the scoring acumen he has.

3 assists on the night against a team that was better than is given credit. McDavid was the difference in this game. Also had solid scoring chances and was stoned but created all night. You could see that the Bears were really keying on him and often 2 Bears on him. They knew they couldn't shut him down but had to try to limit his time and space which is exceedingly difficult.

Frankly McDavid and Drai were on a different level from anybody else on the ice. They were expectedly hard players for the Bears to deal with.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hmmm are you sure? I thought they played together in the first, then were split up, managed to play a shift somehow in the 2nd together, then didnt. I could be wrong though.

I think it was more there were less whistles as the game went along, so they had may pairings that were mid change.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It was special seeing this wasn't it. Few other players have done this to me. He jumps right up and commands attention in his pay. The sublime skills. Taking a puck out of mid air, batting it down and putting himself on a break. Making players come to him knowing it opens up somebody else. Effortlessly finding others in open ice. Not to mention all the scoring acumen he has.

3 assists on the night against a team that was better than is given credit. McDavid was the difference in this game. Also had solid scoring chances and was stoned but created all night. You could see that the Bears were really keying on him and often 2 Bears on him. They knew they couldn't shut him down but had to try to limit his time and space which is exceedingly difficult.

Frankly McDavid and Drai were on a different level from anybody else on the ice. They were expectedly hard players for the Bears to deal with.

Yup Drai was good to, slows down the game so much. Great passer.

Actually if I'm Yakupov or Purcell right now, I'm a little nervous. Drai could take his spot in the top6, he looked that good last night.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Draisitl and McDavid go without speaking.

I don't get this crap about Nurse settling his game down. He rushes the puck a lot but he doesn't get burned from it. He doesn't generate as many scoring chances as you'd like from it is what everyone has a problem with. I think it's something you grow and develop. Not something you Settle down.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
After several viewings, I'm not seeing Crosby tier from McDavid. I'm seeing a tier or two below. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really hoping he turns it up and shows more for how he was hyped.

And there it is! Bust! :sarcasm:

But seriously he has played in two throw away rookie games.....he will find his groove.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I can't wait til McDavid is playing with quality NHL linemates. Watching him last night and I get the impression that he would play really well with a player like Eberle. There were numerous times when the puck was chipped to the boards in the Oilers zone to the winger and McDavid was cruising all free waiting for a nice chip pass from the winger but it never materialized. And Eberle is great at those one touch chip passes from the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad