GDT: Oilers Rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears | Rexall | 7:00 PM MST | 9.16.15 | Streamed

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Also, I'm OK with Metric but that Stadium Love song is going to get REALLY annoying by the end of the first month.

Don't they typically keep the presentation from last year (goal song/entrance song/video) until the start of the regular season?

Come to think of it I'm not sure if they change the goal song every year...

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I need someone to photoshop nurse's face after andersson fight on gladiator "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED" pic
I did it
2f25fd3ca234eb42a3bbedbcfcdfccdc.png

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
I enjoyed watching the game, but the feed wasn't great from where I was, so hard to comment on some things. The best guys everyone else pointed out were what I thought as well.

Drai was awesome
McDavid looked great, but I noticed in the third the puck died on his stick a bit with bad passes, and he put himself in bad positions during his rushes so he couldn't finish.
Nurse was just okay

You could tell it was rookies, I lost count of how many times a Oiler would throw the puck blindly to the middle, only to have a UofA player right there. The Bears did not play that great, but you could tell their system play was far better. They played their age, the Oilers played theirs. Just too much firepower, and those power plays made the difference.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
Here's my post game report! As I attend about 30+ games a year, I'm gonna try and do this somewhat often!

Connor McDavid - This was my first time seeing McDavid play live, and I can now fully appreciate what everyone who has seen him play says. Even playing a relaxed game at about, I would say 75% effort, his skills and abilities are undoubtedly the real deal. Watching him on TV or highlights on youtube doesn't do his game justice. The best display of his awareness and skill set was when a pass was flipped up over a defender and him and he used his stick to cradle the puck in the air to set it down and take a shot. If he was standing still it would be an incredible display of coordination... He was in full flight.

Leon Draisaitl - Man amongst boys. Sublime puck protection, passing, and vision. His foot speed still isn't perfect, but it's noticeably better than a year ago. I believe he will earn his spot on this team as a winger. I think with the focus on McDavid, Nurse, Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Etc... he has a real chance to surprise people. Love his game.

Darnell Nurse - I absolutely love how nasty Darnell is, but he is still raw. He seems to hyper focus on rushing the puck up ice rather than finding the best first pass. This could be a product of playing with players that didn't adequately provide an outlet pass to be made, but I sense that Darnell's game is still not as settled as it needs to be. Simply put, he is still trying to do too much. He will not make the team this year, in my opinion. Not if he doesn't settle down his game, which i am confident he can and will do. Physical beast, and dominant presence, which is much needed on this team. We need him to develop the way we know he can.

Joey LaLeggia - I really liked Joey's game tonight. He doesn't seem to have one glaring issue or one glowing facet, but rather a very strong 2 way game. I like that he got popped behind his own net and got back up dutifully to contribute on a scoring chance. Has a really good sense for the play. Size may be his only downside, but his smarts seem to make up for it. I think given some time, we have a gem in Joey.

Eetu Laurikainen - I felt that his first period was decent, but really scambly. Maybe it was a case of nerves, but the moment he got a hair out of position, he was a total mess. That being said, I didn't think that he found himself in that position too too often. Has a great glove and very solid rebound control. I couldn't begin to give him an accurate projection, but I did like his game!

Anton Slepyshev - Big man plays a big game. His skating impressed me. I knew he had hands, but he moves that frame around the ice very well. I wouldn't doubt that he sees some time in the show due to injuries on the big club this year. Still adjusting to a smaller ice surface, it seems, but overall I liked his game quite a bit. He seems to be a big guy who actually realizes he's a big guy. The anti-Penner.

Caleb Jones - Did not like his game very much, actually. I didn't think it was terrible, but he made questionable plays time and time again. I like his physicality, but his puck distribution decisions were not good. He seems to panic easy and fire the puck away without a plan. He actually reminded me of Nurse in his first ever game in an Oilers uniform. I think there is a player there, but he's a long long long ways away.

Braden Christoffer - I really liked Christoffer's game tonight. He was quiet, but reasonably effective. Let's just say he didn't hurt us. I think given some time he could end up playing in the league some day. He needs to work on a few things (Defensive zone, quicker decision making, not holding on the puck as much) But I think he could be a guy with the right development that could actually go somewhere.

Kyle Platzer Meh. Didn't really mind him, but I didn't really care for him. Made me say 'What are you DOING??' a couple times. Plays physical. that's about it.

Ben Betker - Terrible. I don't know if I just watched him on bad shifts, or if they were all bad... I didn't like his game at all. If his thing is being big, then it's not enough for him to go any further than tonight.

Josh Winquist Seems to me like he plays a pretty feisty game. He seems to always be involved in the play. I like that. Still a very raw player, but I see a lot of good offensive upside with Winny.

Cole Sanford Didn't notice him overly much. Maybe I was distracted by his center. Who know who. Colin McDaniel, or whatever his name is. Played good. Didn't really have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Rihards Bukarts No. Just. No. I can't tell you how many times i had my hands in the air screaming 'WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?' Pass.

The rest - Outside of the aforementioned players, I thought the rest of team played a good game. No one stuck out one way or the other for me to really say.

The summary - Great to get back into Rexall. The buzz in the crowd is amazing. I just have this feeling that the McDavid effect (Not the crappy financial situation i'm now in because of him) is really going to carry over to the main team. Even at 75%, he is a competitor. There's a very different feel around the rink. I'm used to going into the games in September/October full of optimism and saying 'This is our year!' I don't feel like saying that this year... But i feel something a little bit more calming. Quiet confidence. And for the first time in a long long time, it's fun to go to a game again.

-Thanks for reading! This was really my first attempt at a post game write up, so any and all feedback, good and bad, is welcome and appreciated. And please don't mind the spelling/grammar mistakes. Cheers!

-Timo

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

This sums up every interview with Draisaitl since day 2 after drafting McJesus. I love drafting him but constant nagging of other players about playing with him is ridiculous.

Our media loves to repeat itself on the most mundane ****. Trash.

I'm not sure McDavid gets embarrassed about it (I'm sure he just tunes this BS out by now) but I would be haha.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This sums up every interview with Draisaitl since day 2 after drafting McJesus. I love drafting him but constant nagging of other players about playing with him is ridiculous.

Our media is trash.

I'm not sure McDavid gets embarrassed about it but I would.

It's something everyone on the team will get used to sooner or later. Especially when the team hits the road for games. You think our media is bad about it? Just wait until the first Eastern road trip.

I imagine most of them will just start laughing it off.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Here's my post game report! As I attend about 30+ games a year, I'm gonna try and do this somewhat often!

Connor McDavid - This was my first time seeing McDavid play live, and I can now fully appreciate what everyone who has seen him play says. Even playing a relaxed game at about, I would say 75% effort, his skills and abilities are undoubtedly the real deal. Watching him on TV or highlights on youtube doesn't do his game justice. The best display of his awareness and skill set was when a pass was flipped up over a defender and him and he used his stick to cradle the puck in the air to set it down and take a shot. If he was standing still it would be an incredible display of coordination... He was in full flight.

Leon Draisaitl - Man amongst boys. Sublime puck protection, passing, and vision. His foot speed still isn't perfect, but it's noticeably better than a year ago. I believe he will earn his spot on this team as a winger. I think with the focus on McDavid, Nurse, Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Etc... he has a real chance to surprise people. Love his game.

Darnell Nurse - I absolutely love how nasty Darnell is, but he is still raw. He seems to hyper focus on rushing the puck up ice rather than finding the best first pass. This could be a product of playing with players that didn't adequately provide an outlet pass to be made, but I sense that Darnell's game is still not as settled as it needs to be. Simply put, he is still trying to do too much. He will not make the team this year, in my opinion. Not if he doesn't settle down his game, which i am confident he can and will do. Physical beast, and dominant presence, which is much needed on this team. We need him to develop the way we know he can.

Joey LaLeggia - I really liked Joey's game tonight. He doesn't seem to have one glaring issue or one glowing facet, but rather a very strong 2 way game. I like that he got popped behind his own net and got back up dutifully to contribute on a scoring chance. Has a really good sense for the play. Size may be his only downside, but his smarts seem to make up for it. I think given some time, we have a gem in Joey.

Eetu Laurikainen - I felt that his first period was decent, but really scambly. Maybe it was a case of nerves, but the moment he got a hair out of position, he was a total mess. That being said, I didn't think that he found himself in that position too too often. Has a great glove and very solid rebound control. I couldn't begin to give him an accurate projection, but I did like his game!

Anton Slepyshev - Big man plays a big game. His skating impressed me. I knew he had hands, but he moves that frame around the ice very well. I wouldn't doubt that he sees some time in the show due to injuries on the big club this year. Still adjusting to a smaller ice surface, it seems, but overall I liked his game quite a bit. He seems to be a big guy who actually realizes he's a big guy. The anti-Penner.

Caleb Jones - Did not like his game very much, actually. I didn't think it was terrible, but he made questionable plays time and time again. I like his physicality, but his puck distribution decisions were not good. He seems to panic easy and fire the puck away without a plan. He actually reminded me of Nurse in his first ever game in an Oilers uniform. I think there is a player there, but he's a long long long ways away.

Braden Christoffer - I really liked Christoffer's game tonight. He was quiet, but reasonably effective. Let's just say he didn't hurt us. I think given some time he could end up playing in the league some day. He needs to work on a few things (Defensive zone, quicker decision making, not holding on the puck as much) But I think he could be a guy with the right development that could actually go somewhere.

Kyle Platzer Meh. Didn't really mind him, but I didn't really care for him. Made me say 'What are you DOING??' a couple times. Plays physical. that's about it.

Ben Betker - Terrible. I don't know if I just watched him on bad shifts, or if they were all bad... I didn't like his game at all. If his thing is being big, then it's not enough for him to go any further than tonight.

Josh Winquist Seems to me like he plays a pretty feisty game. He seems to always be involved in the play. I like that. Still a very raw player, but I see a lot of good offensive upside with Winny.

Cole Sanford Didn't notice him overly much. Maybe I was distracted by his center. Who know who. Colin McDaniel, or whatever his name is. Played good. Didn't really have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Rihards Bukarts No. Just. No. I can't tell you how many times i had my hands in the air screaming 'WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?' Pass.

The rest - Outside of the aforementioned players, I thought the rest of team played a good game. No one stuck out one way or the other for me to really say.

The summary - Great to get back into Rexall. The buzz in the crowd is amazing. I just have this feeling that the McDavid effect (Not the crappy financial situation i'm now in because of him) is really going to carry over to the main team. Even at 75%, he is a competitor. There's a very different feel around the rink. I'm used to going into the games in September/October full of optimism and saying 'This is our year!' I don't feel like saying that this year... But i feel something a little bit more calming. Quiet confidence. And for the first time in a long long time, it's fun to go to a game again.

-Thanks for reading! This was really my first attempt at a post game write up, so any and all feedback, good and bad, is welcome and appreciated. And please don't mind the spelling/grammar mistakes. Cheers!

-Timo

Thanks for doing this! I miss LMHFs reports so I'm glad someone else has taken up the cause.

Also sorry for not snipping the quote but my phone refused to cooperate.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
trying to watch the play where mcdavid has a partial break off of that lob-ish bounce pass.

When did that happen? was it early? was it 0-0 or 2-1 at the time?

thanks

Near the end of the first period. It was pretty nuts and I was surprised the highlights didnt show it.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Man, you have to think the Golden Bears would be a good quality Div I NCAA hockey team. What a program.

Last year I went to Boston and watched BU and BC with Eichel and Hanifin both played. In March I went to the CIS in Halifax to see Alberta. Without a doubt, Alberta would be a top dog in NCAA

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I love Drai as a C.

:/

I mean, I see the value of keeping him on the top 2 lines, but he's gonna be insanely effective at C.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
McDavid seems to me like he is thinking too much right now while playing - over-stickhandling, trying paralyzer breakaways. Once he settles and gets into his "cerebral" groove... my word. Even now he was barely trying and was 25% better than everyone else on the ice.

Also, so now that the rookie games are done, is main camp starting right away since our first pre-season game is Monday?

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
McDavid seems to me like he is thinking too much right now while playing - over-stickhandling, trying paralyzer breakaways. Once he settles and gets into his "cerebral" groove... my word. Even now he was barely trying and was 25% better than everyone else on the ice.

Also, so now that the rookie games are done, is main camp starting right away since our first pre-season game is Monday?

All training camps start today

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^ Great thanks.

On the note of Nurse, I agree with the write up. Trying to do it all. He could benefit from watching a few tapes of Pronger.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
My only issue with Mcdavid is on one on ones he still trys to go wide or beat the D. He doesnt loose the puck but he gets driven wide and its a weaker chip on net. He needs to learn to shoot from the outside using the screen. This way D have a need to step up on him (and then he can burn them wide with speed)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Was at the game and couldn't help but want a Bears jersey now. They look like actually vintage hockey jersey.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
After several viewings, I'm not seeing Crosby tier from McDavid. I'm seeing a tier or two below. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really hoping he turns it up and shows more for how he was hyped.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Something about McDavid that I noticed during this whole rookie event, is that you can blatantly tell he's focusing on certain aspects of his game.\

-He's focusing on defense.

-He's not deking threw the opposing team like usual.

You can tell that the coaching staff gave him something to work on and hes focused in on it. Once the pre-season hits I think we'll see him at full stride again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad