GDT: Oilers Rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears | Rexall | 7:00 PM MST | 9.16.15 | Streamed

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
oh i agree... i'm one of the guys that uses the "bigger kane" comparison a lot, but in no way whatsoever do i mean that as an insult on mcdavid... i'll take a "bigger kane that plays C" every day of the week thanks :)

Honest question...How much have you watched him play?

He is of course incredible off the rush. It's typically what you see in highlight packages because his speed is so spectacular. But he has a lot more to his game than that. And I agree that Crosby's game is very different. But have you seen what he can do from behind the net?

You have to go back to Gretzky in my eyes to find someone clearly better at the same age in working from behind the net. The pass he made to Loiseau in the Bears game is just one example of what I am talking about. But his vision and quickness makes him deadly from behind the net. Leave a guy open, he'll find him. Give him a split second and his quickness will have him in front of the net where his hands are deadly.

It may take him some time to adapt that part of his game to the NHL. But he will.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honest question...How much have you watched him play?

He is of course incredible off the rush. It's typically what you see in highlight packages because his speed is so spectacular. But he has a lot more to his game than that. And I agree that Crosby's game is very different. But have you seen what he can do from behind the net?

You have to go back to Gretzky in my eyes to find someone clearly better at the same age in working from behind the net. The pass he made to Loiseau in the Bears game is just one example of what I am talking about. But his vision and quickness makes him deadly from behind the net. Leave a guy open, he'll find him. Give him a split second and his quickness will have him in front of the net where his hands are deadly.

It may take him some time to adapt that part of his game to the NHL. But he will.

i guess i've seen maybe 10-12 games of his now, something like that (juniors, playoffs, steamed games)

yeah i agree that his passing is simply ridiculous , and not just from behind the net.... i'm not saying all he has is a rush game, obviously not, but a large percentage of his ability comes from rush and more generally, from speed.... that speed won't be as big of a factor when every player you are playing against in the NHL is significantly faster than mcdavid faced in junior.... mcdavid just won't have the space he did before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad