GDT: Oilers Rookies vs. U of A Golden Bears | Rexall | 7:00 PM MST | 9.16.15 | Streamed

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Does "recent seasons" include the one before last where he scored 104 points in a season where no one else managed even 90?

Or that I specifically mentioned in my post "playoffs" in which he's done next to nothing in several years and been ordinary.

If your on a good enough club and you get nothing done in playoffs regular season hardly even counts in my dictionary. Players that are regular season warriors only end up being forgotten.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
This is what I get from mcdavid. He (to me) epitomizes the definition of raising your game. When the game is won or competition isn't matching him he seems to produce less and slow down a touch (also trying to get other guys opportunities over himself). But as intensity and competition ramps up he produces even more. He destroyed the playoffs this year. I could see him being that guy that is good in the regular season but when the playoffs start that's where you see him unleash.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Can anyone let me know roughly the point in the game when McDavid did that back check?

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is what I get from mcdavid. He (to me) epitomizes the definition of raising your game. When the game is won or competition isn't matching him he seems to produce less and slow down a touch (also trying to get other guys opportunities over himself). But as intensity and competition ramps up he produces even more. He destroyed the playoffs this year. I could see him being that guy that is good in the regular season but when the playoffs start that's where you see him unleash.
I see the same thing. It's why I think his NHL transition will be pretty easy. Maybe a slightly rough month but that's it. He seems to always get better when his opponents are better.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Really have to feel for Draisaitl here...steals the show on this one, star of the night and has to face the media afterwards with questions like " what was it like to play with McDavid on the power play?":laugh:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

THis is a huge point, call it the McDavid x factor. One scout said the differnce between Crosby and McDavid, why McDavid is better, is McDavid has an extra gear. Crosby went all out all the time. but McDavid has an extra level. If the game is on the line, he steps in up a notch. He plays a differnt game when the game is on the line, Crosby just plays the same no matter what game it is.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
THis is a huge point, call it the McDavid x factor. One scout said the differnce between Crosby and McDavid, why McDavid is better, is McDavid has an extra gear. Crosby went all out all the time. but McDavid has an extra level. If the game is on the line, he steps in up a notch. He plays a differnt game when the game is on the line, Crosby just plays the same no matter what game it is.

so Crosby plays 100% all the time and McDavid plays 90%, but only cranks it 100% when he needs to?...that doesn't sound like a compliment.

McDeathbyCheerios*

so Crosby plays 100% all the time and McDavid plays 90%, but only cranks it 100% when he needs to?...that doesn't sound like a compliment.
No... Be is saying they both go 100% all the time but McDavid can go 110%

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
no such thing...you either go all out, or you don't.
If you had an "extra gear", ..than you weren't really going "all out" were you?

Oh. Sorry, I thought you were looking for an explanation.

Crosby's 100% is McDavid's 90%. Does that make more sense to you?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Basically, but while never said. When the game is a blowout etc, why go all out. You don't risk getting hurt etc, you don't run up the score. Despite that it does sound bad in many ways, good players save a bit more energy for when the game is on the line.

For the record I am sure Crosby does that as well, just not as good as McDavid. It is the ability to conserve energy really. You know the season is long. You alwasy play hard, but smart players save a little bit. Say what you want, as you could then take it to mean your slacking of the rest of the time, but whatever, McDavid can save his energy for the real key moments better than Sid can.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Think of it more as both Crosby and McDavid have a fifth gear, but when it matters most, McDavid has a 6th gear that Crosby doesn't.

Your username combined with this post is great.

I don't really buy any of this. I think McDavid goes hard every night, just like Crosby does. McDavid may play a bit more selfishly when the season's on the line, but I find it hard to believe he's conserving energy during the regular season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Your username combined with this post is great.

I don't really buy any of this. I think McDavid goes hard every night, just like Crosby does. McDavid may play a bit more selfishly when the season's on the line, but I find it hard to believe he's conserving energy during the regular season.

Meh, take for what its worth as players will never admit it. THey will say they alwasy play at 100%, but it isn't true. IT is a long season and the true great ones know they have to conserve energy at certain points. Tell you for a fact Micheal Jordon did this. When the game wasn't on the line, he didn't post the same points. Game on the line, and MJ was a machine. Crosby doesn't really have that. He goes pretty much all out all the time. Racks up points when the ame is a blow out etc, playoff time comes and he can't lift his game. McDavid slows down when the game isn't on the line. When it is, he goes MJ out there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Meh, take for what its worth as players will never admit it. THey will say they alwasy play at 100%, but it isn't true. IT is a long season and the true great ones know they have to conserve energy at certain points. Tell you for a fact Micheal Jordon did this. When the game wasn't on the line, he didn't post the same points. Game on the line, and MJ was a machine. Crosby doesn't really have that. He goes pretty much all out all the time. Racks up points when the ame is a blow out etc, playoff time comes and he can't lift his game. McDavid slows down when the game isn't on the line. When it is, he goes MJ out there.

can't lift his game?
only performs when it is a blow out?:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad