Post-Game Talk: Oilers no show in big home game, Smith outplayed by an AHL goalie

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People always try and believe what makes themselves feel better. They have lots of other problems so perhaps it's just cumulative, but this year looks odd to say the least. You can see what he is not doing at present, because he was doing it before.

McD has to get beyond it. The team did obtain Hyman, Kane, Keith, Ceci, this season. Thats a lot of help. Team gets back from injuries and we still have a dog can hunt team on ice. But they have to believe in it, and each other. Its interesting that its external players like Keith and Kane seeing that, and spotting that. That the doubt has got to McD particularly (it seems) is a problem.

Look, last season the stars on this team could legitimately feel there was no point, they had obtained no help. But with a healthy McD, Drai, Kane, Pulju, Nuge, Hyman thats a damn healthy topsix or fruit for topnine config. That should be a juggernaut group of forwards.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tonight wasn’t coaching
There young barely nhl goalie outplayed our old age ( should be retired ) veteran tonight
Who picked the goalie? Who designs the PP and PK? Is THAT on the goalie? Does the goalie design the giveaways?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, they were. Drai has been like this for the last few years and it gets worse every year. He gets away with it due to high skill but it’s absolutely a problem. Nurse got away with it last year because he shot well above his career average.

You're so distorted that you're blaming Nurse and Drai now? They were the two stars on this team that didn't try to quit on the coach and tried to persevere, and generally try to persevere. Entertain for a moment what this Oilers club would look like without Drai and Nurse contributions. you know, the guys every coach here throws big minutes at to try to keep the boat from sinking.

Even after last night you're living in a fantasy where Woodcroft is going to transform with his power stance. Some of the gunk I've had to read on the board over the last month is painfully deluded.

Reactions: TB12

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Hope that is the last we see of Smith. Team played like crap but he was horrible. 4 goals plus the 2 called back is unacceptable

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Strongly disagree with Nurse's value. He just isn't level of Makar, Fox, MacAvoy, Hedman , Josi etc who are on of the guys making ~9mil also.
RFA vs UFA

Plus it is hard to compare them. Those D have more depth around them and better goaltending

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tonight wasn’t coaching
There young barely nhl goalie outplayed our old age ( should be retired ) veteran tonight

The difference was absolutely how the teams played respectively, and the special teams disparity alone should lend creedence to that. We were facing the same garbage goalie, Montembault, that we faced last time we threw several goals in the last time we played them. The difference quite clearly is a league worst Habs team is now playing much better under their new coach. That seems not to have occurred here with the Oilers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hope that is the last we see of Smith. Team played like crap but he was horrible. 4 goals plus the 2 called back is unacceptable
I dont see why we would go one more game of this. I'm holding off of saying it's a bad sign that we haven't heard of this yet, although you'd think we need to call up Skinner ASAP if we are making a change.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Arguably Drai is. McD was SUPPOSED to be the best player in hockey that landed in our lap on the basis of a lottery. Drai is the player that went from good to elite prospect to Legendary HOF caliber player. That Drai has closed the gap to McD (despite carrying coolers like Yama around all season) is a pretty incredible gift. Nobody expected Drai to be this good. To Win scoring race, Rocket Richard, MVP. McD is just performing as expected, and this season he's south of that.

And that's really the saddest part. We have been gifted two of these players where you can have that good debate, and we still can't breach bubble team status because of the dunderheads in charge.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The difference was absolutely how the teams played respectively, and the special teams disparity alone should lend creedence to that. We were facing the same garbage goalie, Montembault, that we faced last time we threw several goals in the last time we played them. The difference quite clearly is a league worst Habs team is now playing much better under their new coach. That seems not to have occurred here with the Oilers.

Before coaching change - "Our goaltending is hot garbage, always 2nd best, what a joke. Get rid of the coach"

After coaching change - "Our goaltending is hot garbage, always 2nd best, what a joke. Get rid of the goalie."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And to be fair, let's give the opposition a little credit here. I said in the pre-game that they were coming in pretty hot. Despite their woeful record, the Habs have won 7 of their last 8 under St. Louis. And they came in here the night after beating a pretty good Calgary squad.

mrjnick

Feb 12, 2022
Playoff teams don't lose necessary points to non-playoff teams. I haven't been this disappointed in a season since pre McDavid/Draisaitl. It feels like we're going to miss the playoffs and lose our best 2 players because our shit show management and toxic media. This timeline is worse than the DOD.

I hope I'm wrong, I really really do.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Playoff teams don't lose necessary points to non-playoff teams. I haven't been this disappointed in a season since pre McDavid/Draisaitl. It feels like we're going to miss the playoffs and lose our best 2 players because our shit show management and toxic media. This timeline is worse than the DOD.

It happens. Colorado just lost to Arizona. That was an outlier though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Before coaching change - "Our goaltending is hot garbage, always 2nd best, what a joke. Get rid of the coach"

After coaching change - "Our goaltending is hot garbage, always 2nd best, what a joke. Get rid of the goalie."
Yep.

Interesting selective logic has been on display on the board for about a month. I get that people do that in the hope that some change should result in magic but its been bordering on mythos. For two weeks we were reading how Woodcraft power stance was transforming positivity in the room. It reminded me of Pyramid Power...;)

The most interesting logic disconnect is the following

1)When winning: "Oh look, Woodcroft has instantly transformed the team. He's come in and immediately made meaningful changes that will alter the course of the team. This is indicative what an "Idiot" Tippett was.

2)When team losing: "Oh this is just indication there has been no time for Woodcraft to instill magic, its still schedule, coaching, management, whats in the water, etc. Somebody just said its Drai and Nurse's fault..

The two points above are stated by the same posters and wildly conflict. Honestly they do.

The clear dichotomy is that Woodcraft is credited for wins and not responsible in the case of losses. If you remember that taxonomy you'll understand the posts better..;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The best teams do lose to crap teams. But the Oilers just have a penchant of losing to crap teams consistently and playing down to their level.

I can only hope that sweeping changes are made when this season is over, but who am I kidding. Dustin Schwartz, Ken Holland, and the crappy scouts will still be here.

mrjnick

Feb 12, 2022
It happens. Colorado just lost to Arizona. That was an outlier though.

"necessary points"

Colorado is 1st in the league, they're guaranteed a play-off spot. They don't NEED those 2 points against bottom feeders. We do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep.

Interesting selective logic has been on display on the board for about a month. I get that people do that in the hope that some change should result in magic but its been bordering on mythos. For two weeks we were reading how Woodcraft power stance was transforming positivity in the room. It reminded me of Pyramid Power...;)

The most interesting logic disconnect is the following

1)When winning: "Oh look, Woodcroft has instantly transformed the team. He's come in and immediately made meaningful changes that will alter the course of the team. This is indicative what an "Idiot" Tippett was.

2)When team losing: "Oh this is just indication there has been no time for Woodcraft to instill magic, its still schedule, coaching, management, whats in the water, etc. Somebody just said its Drai and Nurse's fault..

The two points above are stated by the same posters and wildly conflict. Honestly they do.
We've been screaming at this pathetic org to upgrade the goaltending for two years now and make meaningful changes up top and they continue to do the same things that have made them a failure for the last 15 years. Dave Tippett should never have been hired in the first place, he was cooked as a coach and nothing in his tenure told me that they made the right choice in hiring him. And I know what people will say. "Oh but he made the playoffs twice!" Yeah, playoffs should've been the bare minimum when McDavid was drafted. Missing them should be a fireable offense.

The only, and I do mean ONLY thing this organization does well is win draft lotteries. And we've done exactly nothing to support McDavid and Draisatl since they were drafted. They will never win so long as they're Oilers.

mrjnick

Feb 12, 2022
The best teams do lose to crap teams. But the Oilers just have a penchant of losing to crap teams consistently and playing down to their level.

I can only hope that sweeping changes are made when this season is over, but who am I kidding. Dustin Schwartz, Ken Holland, and the crappy scouts will still be here.

Honestly, I can't see Ken Holland still being the GM if this team misses. McDavid and Draisaitl leaving in FA is basically a lock.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
"necessary points"

Colorado is 1st in the league, they're guaranteed a play-off spot. They don't NEED those 2 points against bottom feeders. We do.
All points can be considered necessary in the National Hockey League.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We've been screaming at this pathetic org to upgrade the goaltending for two years now and make meaningful changes up top and they continue to do the same things that have made them a failure for the last 15 years. Dave Tippett should never have been hired in the first place, he was cooked as a coach and nothing in his tenure told me that they made the right choice in hiring him. And I know what people will say. "Oh but he made the playoffs twice!" Yeah, playoffs should've been the bare minimum when McDavid was drafted. Missing them should be a fireable offense.

The only, and I do mean ONLY thing this organization does well is win draft lotteries. And we've done exactly nothing to support McDavid and Draisatl since they were drafted. They will never win so long as they're Oilers.

Its always better to stop screaming..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2