Post-Game Talk: Oilers no show in big home game, Smith outplayed by an AHL goalie

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You're not wrong but Tippett was still well past his due date.
True, but I have to laugh at some of those on here that thought this team was going to be instantly transformed with a coaching change when we still have massive holes in goal, on defence, inexperience, bottom forward group, a top group that sometimes just wants to go their own way, and a GM that's also arguably well past his own due date.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're right, apathy is the route to go here. If people stop caring maybe then the Oilers will realize how much they've f***ed up this past decade and a half.

Stop buying tickets, said me, after 2006 season. Stop buying tickets, said me, after Lowe was trying to make Mike Comrie "pay his way out of a contract" in order to trade him for Corey Perry. Stop buying tickets, said me, after the Oilers selected Steve Kelly while the home crowd were chanting Shane Doan.

At least I listened after 2006. Haven't bought a game ticket since.

This should be posted to the team. I'm a fan of the org since 1972. A ticket buying fan. Yet never bought into the faux rebuild which I knew was flawed from the start. I've never bought a single game during the McDrai era despite Drai being here and me being German heritage. (I will at some point, just for the sake of seeing Drai in person) but thats about it. I mean thats the degree that this org pushes fans away.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
True, but I have to laugh at some of those on here that thought this team was going to be instantly transformed with a coaching change when we still have massive holes in goal, on defence, inexperience, bottom forward group, a top group that sometimes just wants to go their own way, and a GM that's also arguably well past his own due date.
I thought Woodcroft would give them a bump, which he did, but Mike Smith is still putrid as a goalie. But the organizational issues run very, very deep. A proactive org this offseason would've canned Tippett and gone after Gallant in addition to prioritizing goaltending above everything else. That the Oilers focused solely on Duncan Keith, who was basically theirs regardless, shows a distinct lack of vision by this team. This last offseason was an unmitigated disaster by the GM, and it should (but won't) cost him his job.

They decided Tippett's job was no longer in jeopardy despite losing 14 straight games as a head coach, because he (or rather Koskinen) beat Calgary. A proactive org would've turfed him long before that... But I digress.

Until there are significant changes up top this team will never succeed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It happens. Colorado just lost to Arizona. That was an outlier though.
A very different situation. The Avs totally outshot and outplayed them, and have the best record in the NHL. We just finished losing to another also ran in Chicago the game before. What was distressing about this game, is that Montreal was the better team, for the most part. Apathy in one game for a top tier team is a lot more excusable, than a bunch of them for a team thinking they're good enough for a playoff spot and trying desperately to get there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Stop buying tickets, said me, after 2006 season. Stop buying tickets, said me, after Lowe was trying to make Mike Comrie "pay his way out of a contract" in order to trade him for Corey Perry. Stop buying tickets, said me, after the Oilers selected Steve Kelly while the home crowd were chanting Shane Doan.

At least I listened after 2006. Haven't bought a game ticket since.
I haven't spent a dime on this org (save the occasional 50/50) in the past few years and see no reason to attend another game in that building. I'll happily go see them in California or Vegas or New York, but Katz deserves no revenue of mine. It's downright comical how often this organization gets everything wrong. Even the Cleveland Browns have managed to finally start looking like they know what they're doing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Truth speaker.

I've loved what Kane has brought this team. He's also a smart, insightful guy. Says an awful lot in his Hawks post game interview without saying a lot. With the smallish sample size of playing on this team his assessment is spot on to really fundamental, systemic issues that abound "more drive" "more grit" "simplify their game".

No excuses, no moral victories, no pom pom raising for the road trip run of big baddy Eastern teams just 'average'.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We've been screaming at this pathetic org to upgrade the goaltending for two years now and make meaningful changes up top and they continue to do the same things that have made them a failure for the last 15 years. Dave Tippett should never have been hired in the first place, he was cooked as a coach and nothing in his tenure told me that they made the right choice in hiring him. And I know what people will say. "Oh but he made the playoffs twice!" Yeah, playoffs should've been the bare minimum when McDavid was drafted. Missing them should be a fireable offense.

The only, and I do mean ONLY thing this organization does well is win draft lotteries. And we've done exactly nothing to support McDavid and Draisatl since they were drafted. They will never win so long as they're Oilers.
And we can't even win lotteries properly, other than the McDavid one. We lucked (?) out in the Yak one, and the Nuge one, both of them weak years. Never got a sniff in the Matthews, McKinnon years.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Truth speaker.

I've loved what Kane has brought this team. He's also a smart, insightful guy. Says an awful lot in his Hawks post game interview without saying a lot. With the smallish sample size of playing on this team his assessment is spot on to really fundamental, systemic issues that abound "more drive" "more grit" "simplify their game".

No excuses, no moral victories, no pom pom raising for the road trip run of big baddy Eastern teams just 'average'.

He sounds and looks like he "gets it". But he's been like that since he got here. Wish some of that would rub off on some other people.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And we can't even win lotteries properly, other than the McDavid one. We lucked (?) out in the Yak one, and the Nuge one, both of them weak years. Never got a sniff in the Matthews, McKinnon years.
Well we did win McDavid, so...

The Oilers for many years were always content to shove their first round pick immediately into the lineup without regard for actual play. Hell, even Leon Draisatl early on didn't look promising before they mercifully sent him back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Truth speaker.

he means I should post more...

jk

You know my opinion that this is all bang on. Kane has been pretty amazing here, and on and off the ice. We can't ask for more.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This is a top 10 team in the league if they were getting even average goaltending and fixed their PK. A lot of the PK struggles can also be attributed to the goaltender so the #1 deficiency is currently goaltending. Most on here can agree that Koski has been an average NHL goalie this year and we are 19-8 with him in net. That tells you everything you need to know.

Seeing the jump in play from McLeod has been amazing and should do this team a lot of good once Nuge and Pulju come back.

Goaltending and special teams are the 2 biggest things holding this team back at the moment and it's sad to see because last year those were 2 of our strengths.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
This is a top 10 team in the league if they were getting even average goaltending and fixed their PK. A lot of the PK struggles can also be attributed to the goaltender so the #1 deficiency is currently goaltending. Most on here can agree that Koski has been an average NHL goalie this year and we are 19-8 with him in net. That tells you everything you need to know.

Seeing the jump in play from McLeod has been amazing and should do this team a lot of good once Nuge and Pulju come back.

Goaltending and special teams are the 2 biggest things holding this team back at the moment and it's sad to see because last year those were 2 of our strengths.
Completely agreed

Reactions: gordonhught

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
he means I should post more...

jk

You know my opinion that this is all bang on. Kane has been pretty amazing here, and on and off the ice. We can't ask for more.

Haha, regarding your post the cliche "less is more applies too." J/k.

Myth building has been a part of hockey forever. Your Pyramid Power is a funny great example. As is the Canucks changing their team colours and jersey to the Flying V on basis it was psychologically more intimidating. The modern equivalent might be transferring team success from quality or not of its on-ice personnel to super sizing the impact coaching carries. Accompanying unfortunately with binary new coach genius everything they do is golden and old coach evil wrong doer of everything wrong. Not unique to this team and fanbase but we've seen a turnstile of new geniuses and lot of outgoing morons. The consistent throughout has been a team highly erratic in its play, poor habits and lower effort than opposition too often.

Woodcroft is a solid young coach deserving of his opportunity as Tippett's growth/performance growth over 2 and 1/2 seasons stalled out. Substantive injuries throughout the year have had effect on both coaches' results with this team's personnel. I just don't coaching as a binary 'good/bad' scenario virtually ever (there are of course exceptions). But when one listen's to the Kane interview there's a lot said but not said directly about how this team's personnel chooses to play this game. There's a lot of carry over for a long time with the team's personnel.

Perhaps there's a way forward with the Leaf's Pyramid Power?

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I fell asleep after the first period last night.

It looked like Broberg was dominant that period. Seemed like he had a lot more ice time , playing on the right side , and handle the puck a lot more. Did he follow that play up through the rest of the game? He looked brilliant.

Reactions: gordonhught

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Holland had to throw Yamo in as a sweetener to dump Smith :sarcasm:.

Cool, now a stomach flu is going to decimate the team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Mike Smith to Robidas Island.

Holloway has to come up, we are decimated with injuries and he looks like he can play at the NHL level for sure.

Reactions: Sanchez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2