Post-Game Talk: Oilers no show in big home game, Smith outplayed by an AHL goalie

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Idk man. It's getting to the point where I'm caring less and less about this team. The team is so far away from contending that it's not even worth the effort tuning in for every game. That would be such a chore in my opinion.
this is the only way to be. be a bandwagaon fan. to follow this team religiously is like a beaten wife that won't leave. there is no light at the end of the tunnel. They're like the Bluejays for me; I get pumped when they have a good run, and redundant in between. its the only way to stay sane.

Reactions: McDrai

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
JONES: Time for Oilers to move on from goaltender Mike Smith | Edmonton Sun

Jones going scorched earth on Smith and throws a few pot shots at Holland too.

200w.gif

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Considering Smith was Tippett's guy, I suspect the media won't hold back much on dog piling on Smith now that they are safe from the former coach.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The year he took over the team they went to the conference finals. They were already a top team when he took them over. He did an unreal job keeping them on top and eventually putting them over the edge. It’s just completely ridiculous to discredit Holland and chiarelli’s achievements in Boston and Detroit based on “inheritance” then credit guys like Zito and Yzerman. Just not a logical argument.
Kind of funny looking at the first years of Yzerman's time in Tampa. Stamkos and St Louis being at the top of the scoring year after year and the team still missing the playoffs for consecutive years after 2010/2011. Has an air of familiarity to it :laugh:

I am not at all an expert on Tampa, but with those two on the roster and a young Hedman, they still missed 2 years in a row and when they finally made it in 13/14 they where swept 4-0 by Montreal. Not until his 5th year did Yzerman start to see some consistency of success.

Reactions: TB12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I said it in another thread as well... but it's not even respectful to Smith to let him play when he's not 100%... it hurts his own image out there when he's allowed to repeatedly shit the bed and obviously it also hurts his teammates as they lose because of that. That falls on the coaches and management to keep players out for the good of the player and the team.

I also truly don't think other players in that dressing room like to see players fail repeatedly... it's like someone being beaten and watching it over and over... just f***ing stop it at some point... everyone can see the issue and the players are playing the game... they obviously know what's going on as well and can feel the energy draining from the team because of those goalie performances... again not good for the player or the team when this is allowed to continue.

Rask didn't let it continue... he obviously knew he was done... but if Smith can't pull himself... the management and coaches certainly owe it to both Smith and the team to do the "humane" thing and pull the plug.

Smith has been a warrior and a solid teammate but his legacy will be tarnished and he'll become a has-been and a pariah here if this continues.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Who would have thought we'd just go from Chia doing rag-tag trades to try and save his job, to Holland doing nothing to save his job. Both accomplished zero.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It’s a terrible bottom 6, a weird mix of D and awful goalies. The only thing that’s good on this team is the top 6. Way too many passengers Ryan, Foeggele, Turris, Sceviour, Shore, Yamamoto are all useless
Thought Yamamoto was good and one of the only player ready to pay the price and go the net. He led to a goal by screening Montembault.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
They won't. Guys like Ken Holland are all about old school way of doing things.

For example you don't grind down Chicago when you have all the leverage. You help out Stan bowman. I mean no team helps us out but it's disrespectful to only extend Smith 1 year. So he gets 2. Now because he's a poor player looking 40 send him down? Lol not going to happen.
I'm mad that you're right

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman. Detroit will be the first time he’s actually built a team from the ground up.

lol- so how is that more than Holland? He inherited those two and built the rest of the team through trades and drafts. He also built an analytics dept, scouting dept, and management team. Lol- there really is no comparison between Holland and Yzerman. You can actually argue he inherited more players in Detroit than he did with Tampa

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Curious if Turris has any gas left.

Based on what I saw on Saturday the answer is clearly no.

He has a family though - so can't send him down!

We can't ice the best lineup because we're afraid Mike Smith might get too mad and Kyle Turris has a family. Missing the playoffs? Who cares.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Based on what I saw on Saturday the answer is clearly no.

He has a family though - so can't send him down!

We can't ice the best lineup because we're afraid Mike Smith might get too mad and Kyle Turris has a family. Missing the playoffs? Who cares.

The Edmonton Oilers Country Club

Not wanting to send players down because they have family (though apparently it didn’t matter to them that Sam Gagner had a newborn back home…) reminds me a lot of a previous employer that would let employees that had kids work 5 days a week and those that didn’t worked 6 days a week. :rolleyes:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
It's a mad world when we're praising Terry Jones.

Truly. Mark Spector and Jim Matheson are a special kind of terrible

I’ll add that if Stauffer was slinging mud at Holland on a Calgary station, could mean he’s done if he doesn’t “fix” this

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Truly. Mark Spector and Jim Matheson are a special kind of terrible

I’ll add that if Stauffer was slinging mud at Holland on a Calgary station, could mean he’s done if he doesn’t “fix” this

Also heard Stauffer on the pre-game before Chicago talk about how he "wishes the team could have been a bit more proactive adding depth forwards."

That's about as viscerally you will ever hear Stauffer criticize anyone currently employed by the team.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Also heard Stauffer on the pre-game before Chicago talk about how he "wishes the team could have been a bit more proactive adding depth forwards."

That's about as viscerally you will ever hear Stauffer criticize anyone currently employed by the team.

I was thinking it wasn’t likely for them to move on from Holland so quickly but there’s a lot more pressure to make the playoffs now than seasons past and to miss it by a the thinnest of margins would be an absolute fail when a few assets to shore up the bottom 6 (or shit, even a waiver wire claim might have helped?) playing your two best goalies and getting a cheap shut down D could have been a top 2 finish in the division

It should be utterly embarrassing for Katz to have this team clawing for a WC spot at this point. I’m sure his MVP’s agents are pushing that same thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad