Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
^its Edmonton, man. Everything is always blown way out of proportion when it’s Edmonton.

I don’t see people saying that the Islanders or the Sabres would have to include a first or one of their best prospects to move Ladd or Okposo.

Ladd > Lucic

Okposo > Lucic

Lucic's foot speed is not good and I would be concerned. Just like with Alzner with the Habs.

Best I would offer is this... Lucic, 2019 1st (top 10 protected for one year), and a 2020 2nd for Patch. Best I could do and not sure I like it. Lucic's skating is a concern.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I'd be willing to explore a Lucic+ for Patch trade. Not many Habs fans would though.
Wow, seriously man, the + would have to be absolutely massive for Montreal to consider taking on the buyout proof brutal contract that Lucic has. Lucic has a negative value in a trade because of this. Even after an injury riddled season Pacioretty still has positive value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow, seriously man, the + would have to be absolutely massive for Montreal to consider taking on the buyout proof brutal contract that Lucic has. Lucic has a negative value in a trade because of this. Even after an injury riddled season Pacioretty still has positive value.

Oh I know the + would have to be serious. It starts with a 2019 1st and 2020 2nd. You probably ask for more but I'm not afraid of Lucic on our rebuilding team. Lucic's foot speed is just brutal but if the Oilers want to unload him and add Patch, I'd be willing to talk but a 1st and 2nd is the minimum add. If they can't swallow that, then the conversation is over.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
A trade around Alzner Lucic might be something to consider, Edm adds obviously due to Lucic's higher cap hit and extra year on his contract

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
A trade around Alzner Lucic might be something to consider, Edm adds obviously due to Lucic's higher cap hit and extra year on his contract

Lucic is still better than Alzner, I think it is Montreal who would be adding in that scenario. Congratulations, you actually came up with a player who is less valuable to a team considering the cap hit and how well they play.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'd be willing to explore a Lucic+ for Patch trade. Not many Habs fans would though.
I'm not in the "trade Lucic" camp, as I believe he will bounce back and put up 45+ points this year.

I'd do Lucic + 1st round pick in 2019 for Patches though. Habs wouldn't

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lucic at 50% retained for Matt Martin.....

Do fans not think ? Lucic is owed 4.5 million in real money over the next 5 years . At 50% retained that is 2.25 million a year Lucic is worth more then that . If he was a UFA today I am sure he would have offers of 4 million for 4 years . So while Lucic has negative value at 6 million cap hit for 5 years you can not sign a player that can take over a game like Lucic at 2.25 million . The reason Edmonton would move him is to get another player that helps the team more . What player helps the Oilers more that can be signed at a 3 million cap hit while being paid 2.25 million . Lucic at 50% has value . Not another cap dump

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do fans not think ? Lucic is owed 4.5 million in real money over the next 5 years . At 50% retained that is 2.25 million a year Lucic is worth more then that . If he was a UFA today I am sure he would have offers of 4 million for 4 years . So while Lucic has negative value at 6 million cap hit for 5 years you can not sign a player that can take over a game like Lucic at 2.25 million . The reason Edmonton would move him is to get another player that helps the team more . What player helps the Oilers more that can be signed at a 3 million cap hit while being paid 2.25 million . Lucic at 50% has value . Not another cap dump

Wow, you really used the way back time machine to dig for my post. LOL

Martin isn't a Leafs property anymore, so a bit irrelevant, but the premise was that the Oilers end up reducing their exposure to two years on the full hit, instead of the full five. Leafs and Oilers split the contract after two years. It's a move where Oilers can move from Lucic, without it actually costing them a good asset to move Lucic... no picks or good prospects having to be moved.

Do fans not think? You are arguing about real money pay, which frankly isn't even relevant to an organization with the revenues of the Leafs.

Based on his play last year, and any theory where he is regressing, no chance he gets $4 mil for 4 years. Look, we took on half the responsibility, and risk, for basically no cost to you.... It's ok to say, we'll keep Lucic, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
He had a horrendous back half of last year, prior to that he was on pace for his usual output, I really don’t think the last half of the season is indicative of him bobsledding into his decline. I still think he can be productive, just not necessarily in the way Mclellan was using him. I think he will bounce back this year...maybe not a 55 point player, but still more than serviceable, his contract sucks, but we will survive it, and I would be loathe to have to pay a team a premium just to send Looch packing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
no they're not. They just have to take back another rancid deal or retain salary

or fabricate a career ending injury/ilness that lets Milan collect his money and gets the Oil off the hook when they trade his contract to the Coyotes

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
or fabricate a career ending injury/ilness that lets Milan collect his money and gets the Oil off the hook when they trade his contract to the Coyotes

Clarkson was dealt, Hossa and Pronger were too. It may cost you some assets, but no one is untradeable in the NHL

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Agreed. The biggest problem is the way the contract is structured. It's buyout proof. Nmc and ntc. With the likelihood of an expansion draft next season, his is a contract you would have to protect as well.
Personally, I think lucic becomes an ltir guy really soon. It's the only way out of this deal for both sides (there is just no way anyone is taking him). The league is quite lenient on this stuff.
Cap space is so valuable in this league. He is not tradable and he might not waive to a team that might be willing. The Oilers desperately need to keep their young assets with their salary cap crunch. They just can't afford to pay the price to move him. I think the price would be astronomical.
It won't be long until some "nagging" injury keeps him out for good. The suggestion that he could be moved along with a top ten protected first is not realistic.
The Oilers will shelf him soon at no cost at all and will be able to spend that money by next offseason. I would bet something similar with seabrook in Chicago

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Lucic is still better than Alzner, I think it is Montreal who would be adding in that scenario. Congratulations, you actually came up with a player who is less valuable to a team considering the cap hit and how well they play.

How valuable was Lucic last year, didnt he go like 20+ games without a point. Past this year, alzners real dollars go down significantly and if need be, is a much better buyout option...Edmonton adds

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
These boards have their heads so far up their collective asses where Lucic is involved that it's humorous.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oilers would still need to throw in their 2019 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad