Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree on this point . I also gear my post towards cap floor teams . TML have their forwards set especially after signing JT . Cap ceiling team care about 1 thing cups and cap hit . Only way Lucic help TML is if the kids were being pushed around and that isn't the game in the east .

Point 2 isn't correct he regressed in the 2nd half of the season . They first 1/2 of the season he was on pace for 55 points . I am sure Leafs fans would argue the same things if one of their players had 1/2 a down season .

Inclusion some of what you said applies to TML,s of the world not the Arizona,s . As for Lucic it is a given soon or later his contract will become a problem . He may rebound from 1/2 a bad season but for how long ?

Yes, I should have said regressed in the second half of the season. Of course, the reason there is this talk, and thread, is that some Oilers fans are worried about this being a regression as well, otherwise, there isn't a need to move him. The talk to move him, is to reduce the risk of further regression, given that contract.

Any fan of another team, is only involved in this discussion, with the thoughts that he will rebound some.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Based on what? Lucic outproduced both the last two years since their contracts and brings a physical element neither guy comes close to matching.

Based on skating... in a league where skating is very important and Lucic looks like a boat anchor out there. I'm not on the bandwagon where I think Lucic sucks but if you want to unload his contract, it's not going to be a pill you want to swallow. Same goes for Ladd but I think Okposo should not be in this mix. Ladd is decent comparable but his skating is much better.

If I had too choose between them... 1. Okposo, 2. Ladd, 3. Lucic.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Do fans not think ? Lucic is owed 4.5 million in real money over the next 5 years . At 50% retained that is 2.25 million a year Lucic is worth more then that . If he was a UFA today I am sure he would have offers of 4 million for 4 years . So while Lucic has negative value at 6 million cap hit for 5 years you can not sign a player that can take over a game like Lucic at 2.25 million . The reason Edmonton would move him is to get another player that helps the team more . What player helps the Oilers more that can be signed at a 3 million cap hit while being paid 2.25 million . Lucic at 50% has value . Not another cap dump

The question seems to be....can Lucic actually take over a game anymore? When do you expect that to happen, a couple of times a season? Is THAT really worth it?

Removing him seems more like addition by subtraction at this point.
Let's be serious.....nobody is taking that player at that term and salary unless there is a major sweetener.......nobody.
Edmonton moves him to get away from his hellish cap hit.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Only way you move that contract is for one that is even worse but shorter term. The returning player would have to cost more but have less term on a team with raazor thin cap room where freeing up 1-2m makes a big difference. I can't think of anyone that fits that mold. The other option would be a similar dollar amount for shorter but a much worse player or a slightly better player with a longer contact/

SO you are looking at Loui Eriksson, Kyle Okposso (but i think the oilers would have to add for this one) Andrew Ladd (islander might need a small add) and Ryan Callahn but because his term is SOOO much shorter the oilers would have to add a lot.

Thats just how i see it though. Who knows what happens.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Based on skating... in a league where skating is very important and Lucic looks like a boat anchor out there. I'm not on the bandwagon where I think Lucic sucks but if you want to unload his contract, it's not going to be a pill you want to swallow. Same goes for Ladd but I think Okposo should not be in this mix. Ladd is decent comparable but his skating is much better.

If I had too choose between them... 1. Okposo, 2. Ladd, 3. Lucic.
So how did Lucic outproduce all of them so badly last year? He’s never been fast. Always been productive. I guess the speed of the game passed him by in January of this year or something.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So how did Lucic outproduce all of them so badly last year? He’s never been fast. Always been productive. I guess the speed of the game passed him by in January of this year or something.

Run a poll... Who do you prefer between Lucic, Okposo, or Ladd. See for yourself.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I'd be happy if the Canucks traded Eriksson for him
We have skilled swedes like Pettersson and Dahlen who can replace him
Lucic will be a broken down piece of meat easily directed toward LTIR by the time the Canucks make the playoffs and start looking for cap space

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'd be happy if the Canucks traded Eriksson for him
We have skilled swedes like Pettersson and Dahlen who can replace him
Lucic will be a broken down piece of meat easily directed toward LTIR by the time the Canucks make the playoffs and start looking for cap space

He's missed 4 games in the last 5 years, and one of those was a suspension. 10 games in the last 8 years. Based on that he'll probably be fit and healthy, just slower than a glacier.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The question seems to be....can Lucic actually take over a game anymore? When do you expect that to happen, a couple of times a season? Is THAT really worth it?

Removing him seems more like addition by subtraction at this point.
Let's be serious.....nobody is taking that player at that term and salary unless there is a major sweetener.......nobody.
Edmonton moves him to get away from his hellish cap hit.

If I’m Edmonton I’d give him a shot at a bounce back. Not saying it can happen, but last year was really his first down year. Why eat it this year to off that contract? Seems he’s still motivated to play, wouldn’t shock me to see 45-50 points from him next year. Give it one more year before trying to sell the farm to get out from under the contract.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
A player with a nmc is going to want to go to a contender, but contenders don’t have the room to spare under the salary cap to add him.

Finding a team that wants him, and that he wants to go to, and in a way that can make the numbers work... challenging.

You’d probably have to find a third team willing to weoonize its cap space.

-Edmonton trades lucic and sweeteners for a middling pick, to...

-A rebuilding club that has cap space, which takes lucic and sweeteners and then retains cap space in a new deal, flipping lucic to ...

-A contending club, which passes along sweeteners to the middle man as well, and receives lucic for, let’s say, $2-3M per season.

It’s doable, but complicated. Those sorts of deals usually take months to work out.

Proposal: Maybe Edmonton trades lucic and a first rounder for a third rounder.

The rebuilding club then trades lucic at 50 percent retained to a competing club for a second rounder.

Edmonton gets out from under that cap crunch and a third rounder, but it costs them a steep draft choice. The competing team gets a good player at a proper cap hit, giving up a second rounder. The middle man double dips, getting a first and a second rounder, and gives up a third and dead cap space for several more years (although this is cap space which it wasn’t planning to use anyway).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lucic 4.0M (33.3% retention)
5-years left

for

Darren Helm 3.85M
3-years left

Edmonton has to live with almost same caphit, but shorter time.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
A player with a nmc is going to want to go to a contender, but contenders don’t have the room to spare under the salary cap to add him.

If we are to believe Lucic, he chose Oilers to play with McDavid and be with Chia. Apparently a dozen or so team were courting his services some with more money/longer contracts.

Former Los Angeles Kings player Milan Lucic was offered longer terms and more money by other teams, but chose Edmonton because he wanted to play with Connor McDavid.
“Connor McDavid, and also my loyalty to Peter [Chiarelli]. Obviously I’ve been with him for eight years in Boston, and saw, you know, what he was able to do with the team there and turned us into champions,” Lucic said during a Friday news conference in downtown Edmonton near Rogers Place, the future home of the Oilers.

Milan Lucic signed with Edmonton Oilers because of Connor McDavid

Unless the honeymoon is over, he is there to stay.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree they do but that contract has to scare a lot of teams off. Edmonton would have to sweeten the deal IMO if they want to trade Lucic.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If we are to believe Lucic, he chose Oilers to play with McDavid and be with Chia. Apparently a dozen or so team were courting his services some with more money/longer contracts.

Unless the honeymoon is over, he is there to stay.
I don’t know that I’d agree with that completely. I do think he’s only leaving to go to a contender, as he has put down roots and his GM would have to make it worth his while to move again. Yet the situation has not been all roses since he arrived; the Oilers are stuck in idle.

So I don’t think it would be impossible to entice him to move, but it probably needs to be a very select number of true contenders. Otherwise agreed, he will simply stay where he is and exercise his NMC rights.

It does make threading the needle on this particular trade very complicated and therefore a long shot.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is this the best time to try and move Lucic to clear cap space? Who does EDM want to acquire in the near future off the UFA list?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I don’t know that I’d agree with that completely. I do think he’s only leaving to go to a contender, as he has put down roots and his GM would have to make it worth his while to move again. Yet the situation has not been all roses since he arrived; the Oilers are stuck in idle.

So I don’t think it would be impossible to entice him to move, but it probably needs to be a very select number of true contenders. Otherwise agreed, he will simply stay where he is and exercise his NMC rights.

It does make threading the needle on this particular trade very complicated and therefore a long shot.

That is why I refereed to the "honeymoon". Does he still hold Chia in high esteem? Is playing with McDavid still all the rage? Is family happy in Edmonton? Back then Edmonton seemed like the best place but time may change his perspective.

Mar 26, 2010
There is not a GM in the NHL that is taking that contract.

EDM will have to buy him out if they want him off the roster. Only way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad