Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
People can use their crystal ball to predict that this contract will be crap by its end or even sooner, but he is currently earning his pay and adds a ton of intangibles to the Oilers. We had to give him security so that he'd come to our team, we did, it is a trade-off. I for one liked the deal when it was signed and so far so good.

these things are what they are and for what its worth I have consistently said lucic at his best when hes healthy and motivated is a special player and one of few who can single handedly be a difference maker in not just games... but even a whole series. ive seen it with my own eyes

but anyone that isn't terrified by that contract really doesn't pay attention to reality and how this all works. lucic was one of my favorite players and I dread the future when he becomes one of the most hated players on the team for the 'burden' he will become. heck I hated when Andrew ference became the scorn of oiler fans and his contract was no where near 6 million but it was too much for too long and there was no chance he was able to live up to it and his career ended in shame and ridicule

I'm glad you like lucic today... I still like lucic today too. if someone told me he was signed for 6 mill today and a free agent at the end of the year I would easily say it was a good contract. I know hes playing okay this year.

if someone took me seabrooks contract or towes contract was worth it the day they signed... that year... the next year... id say ok

if someone tells me that alexi yashins contract was worth it the first year or two in ny id probably agree to that too...

its term that makes a lot of these contracts scary scary scary

some fans might never understand this... and that's ok. enjoy your favorite players when they play well. but some like myself have been paying attention to where this type of thing ends up and its not very pretty and it makes me sad

I wish there was a solution... but I cant blame the players for wanting to get paid. so I don't see a solution other than having to watch one of these train wrecks after another after another

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He wanted the security of such a deal and we wanted a leader, a bad ass that could change the attitude of our team and a proven winner. We are getting what we paid for and as long as our team rebounds we as fans should never crap on Looch as long as he's trying hard. He will be a tough son of a gun throughout the entirety of his contract and will have earned his teammates respect even if his play falls off a cliff.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
these things are what they are and for what its worth I have consistently said lucic at his best when hes healthy and motivated is a special player and one of few who can single handedly be a difference maker in not just games... but even a whole series. ive seen it with my own eyes

but anyone that isn't terrified by that contract really doesn't pay attention to reality and how this all works. lucic was one of my favorite players and I dread the future when he becomes one of the most hated players on the team for the 'burden' he will become. heck I hated when Andrew ference became the scorn of oiler fans and his contract was no where near 6 million but it was too much for too long and there was no chance he was able to live up to it and his career ended in shame and ridicule

I'm glad you like lucic today... I still like lucic today too. if someone told me he was signed for 6 mill today and a free agent at the end of the year I would easily say it was a good contract. I know hes playing okay this year.

if someone took me seabrooks contract or towes contract was worth it the day they signed... that year... the next year... id say ok

if someone tells me that alexi yashins contract was worth it the first year or two in ny id probably agree to that too...

its term that makes a lot of these contracts scary scary scary

some fans might never understand this... and that's ok. enjoy your favorite players when they play well. but some like myself have been paying attention to where this type of thing ends up and its not very pretty and it makes me sad

I wish there was a solution... but I cant blame the players for wanting to get paid. so I don't see a solution other than having to watch one of these train wrecks after another after another

Sounds like Sour grapes to me.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It is time that the Oilers move away from Lucic. He is not the old Lucic they wanted ..... he has slowed down. He still has upside but just Not a good fit with the Oilers.

Would rather use that $6 million salary else where.

So that being said ..... What team would take him?? And what could the Oilers get in return??

24 points in 33 games and he's 'not the same Lucic'? Yeah sure, alrighty then :loony:

Reactions: THall4

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
24 points in 33 games and he's 'not the same Lucic'? Yeah sure, alrighty then :loony:
He's hardly the same force he once was in Boston and everyone knows it

Most of the times he's a ghost and acting like some big enforcer but he shies away from the heavyweights

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Most of the times he's a ghost and acting like some big enforcer but he shies away from the heavyweights
How many players like that actually are around? Even when Lucic was at the top of his game he didn't play like that on a daily basis.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
When a player reaches free agency it is because he has earned it, he has the right to "get paid" That is how it works in the NHL. If a team is going to acquire a player via free agency there is a price to pay thus they have to step up in order to get desirable free agents. Some teams choose not to do much is free agency because the don't have the balls to do so or don't like the risk.

Complaining about Lucic is asinine. Up to date he has done everything that the Oilers and fans have wanted. You can't ask for anything more. If in the future Lucic is playing poorly and not earning, fine. But these threads about him and his contract are pointless.

I don't understand how people can complain something that hasn't happened yet, as if its guaranteed.

In free agency the value in the contract is in the first half of the contract vs the end. Its like financing a new car. The payment is the same when the car is brand new as it is when its 5 years old. You are getting better value in the beginning than the end.

Reactions: TrentonF

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

What the hell are you talking about?

How about you try to name 3 of those "True heavyweight" he is ducking?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Alzner & Byron for Lucic. Oilers get faster and create cap space. A lot of Habs fans don't touch Lucic's contract but If you want to take Alzner's contract, I would make this deal. I'd even add a future pick if it was a deal breaker

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
When a player reaches free agency it is because he has earned it, he has the right to "get paid" That is how it works in the NHL. If a team is going to acquire a player via free agency there is a price to pay thus they have to step up in order to get desirable free agents. Some teams choose not to do much is free agency because the don't have the balls to do so or don't like the risk.

Complaining about Lucic is asinine. Up to date he has done everything that the Oilers and fans have wanted. You can't ask for anything more. If in the future Lucic is playing poorly and not earning, fine. But these threads about him and his contract are pointless.

I don't understand how people can complain something that hasn't happened yet, as if its guaranteed.

In free agency the value in the contract is in the first half of the contract vs the end. Its like financing a new car. The payment is the same when the car is brand new as it is when its 5 years old. You are getting better value in the beginning than the end.

This post is exactly right. The team and the fans might regret Lucic's contract in the coming years... but they don't right now. Lucic is playing well, contributing consistently on the score sheet and off. There isn't a problem here worth 14 pages of comments.

We can revisit this topic in, say, 2020 when he is a few years older and getting paid 6 Million AAV. If he continues to play the way he is right now no one will want him traded then, either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm just saying, everyone thinks he's out there protecting mcdavid. If one of the big guys wants to take a run at him lucic isn't going to stop them or stand them up
Sure he is. There isn't exactly any super heavyweights anymore anyway. Who out there would he say no to?

Two of the guys with the most fights this year he fought last year. Reaves isn't exactly big and I'm sure he'd go with him. I'm trying to think who out there wouldn't he fight.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
The thing is in 2020 a 6 million dollar contract will be like a 4 million contract. There will be so many guys making 6+ million.

Reactions: TrentonF

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Based on what? What heavyweights does he avoid? And who is left that is a heavyweight even worth fighting? The league is not what it used to be like when he was in Boston. He’s adjusted well

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
For one thing, when in the hell do plugs like "super heavy weights" line up against any line Lucic plays on?
Secondly its a disservice to Lucic and his team for him to fight a guy like that, and sit for 5 minutes..which would likely be more than the total ice time these Super Heavies would play in a game.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Nah, most of the time this year he has been a beast 5v5 and is more valuable on the ice than fighting some "heavyweight" (those barely exist anyway).

You could use some examples to back up your point, but I don't think you actually watch the Oilers and your post was probably just an opinion you tried to turn into a fact.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
nah the oilers need to keep Lucic because hes been great all season for us and plays great on any line he is asked to play on. the other guys look up to him and hes a great leader.

Reactions: THall4

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sure he is. There isn't exactly any super heavyweights anymore anyway. Who out there would he say no to?

Two of the guys with the most fights this year he fought last year. Reaves isn't exactly big and I'm sure he'd go with him. I'm trying to think who out there wouldn't he fight.
Are we just forgetting when he kept his arms down against prout and got his clock cleaned? Then only fought him a second time because he got embarrassed the first time to try and salvage some reputation. Or when he pretty much ran away from Colton Orr during a fight years ago. Or when he tried covering up his face and turning away during a fight with Chris Neil?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are we just forgetting when he kept his arms down against prout and got his clock cleaned? Then only fought him a second time because he got embarrassed the first time to try and salvage some reputation. Or when he pretty much ran away from Colton Orr during a fight years ago. Or when he tried covering up his face and turning away during a fight with Chris Neil?
So you are going back to 13 and 14 when he was a Bruin yet, as an Oiler he fought and got the decision this year against Prout.

Man are you reaching with some horrid examples.

You also said he wouldn't even stand up to this guys which is clearly wrong as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How about when he fought Gazdic when he was still in Boston. How about when he fought Prout this year and Engelland twice last year? This idea that he runs from anyone is hilarious. He doesn't need to fight other teams 4th line enforcers but he still often obliges. Surely he should do it more often and trade a consistent 50P player for a consistent 5P player in the penalty box. That seems like a good idea :rolleyes:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How about when he fought Gazdic when he was still in Boston. How about when he fought Prout this year and Engelland twice last year? This idea that he runs from anyone is hilarious. He doesn't need to fight other teams 4th line enforcers but he still often obliges. Surely he should do it more often and trade a consistent 50P player for a consistent 5P player in the penalty box. That seems like a good idea :rolleyes:
I still want to know who these heavyweight goons are anyway. There's the list of leaders below. Who is a superheavy and who is he afraid of?

NHL Fighting Major Leaders for the 2017-2018 regular season - hockeyfights.com

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

you mean when he went punch for punch with Orr until Orr caught him and broke his nose?

turning away a fight with Chris Neil??? Dream on Habs boy. He has split Neil's face wide open more than once.

Prout is all you got? Wow, he got him with a sucker punch. But nice job ignoring Lucic dropping Prout in the other fights...including this season.

In his career he's beaten Ruutu, Brookbank, Erskine (2x), Bell, Boll (2x), Jackman, Ivanans, Winchester, Clarkson (3x), Neil (3x), Boulton, Komisarek (3x), Oreskovic, Crombeen, Mair, Harrison, Brewer, McCormick, Prust (2x), Rosehill, Carkner (2x), Sestito, Kaleta, Rechlicz, Barch, Prout (3x), Manson, Bollig, Maroon, McLeod

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad