Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
How valuable was Lucic last year, didnt he go like 20+ games without a point. Past this year, alzners real dollars go down significantly and if need be, is a much better buyout option...Edmonton adds

I'm not buying that. I kept hearing from Canadiens fans about how terrible Alzner was and when I saw him play he was so bad that he should not have been playing at all.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It is time that the Oilers move away from Lucic. He is not the old Lucic they wanted ..... he has slowed down. He still has upside but just Not a good fit with the Oilers.

Would rather use that $6 million salary else where.

So that being said ..... What team would take him?? And what could the Oilers get in return??
Lucic + 3th for Komorov

member 157595

:laugh: right after I get called out for having a victim complex. It’s just too perfect.

I'm not so sure that Lucic being an Oiler is the reason his contract is viewed so negatively, but I'd be lying if I said that this site doesn't massively exaggerate both the positives and negatives on teams with large fanbases (TO, MTL, EDM, etc.)

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Do fans not think ? Lucic is owed 4.5 million in real money over the next 5 years . At 50% retained that is 2.25 million a year Lucic is worth more then that . If he was a UFA today I am sure he would have offers of 4 million for 4 years . So while Lucic has negative value at 6 million cap hit for 5 years you can not sign a player that can take over a game like Lucic at 2.25 million . The reason Edmonton would move him is to get another player that helps the team more . What player helps the Oilers more that can be signed at a 3 million cap hit while being paid 2.25 million . Lucic at 50% has value . Not another cap dump

What does take over include?

I just see a negative value of 6M$ since it's really hard for me to imagine the player that current Lucic (at any value) could replace. Ye, he is likely to bounce back, but the current Lucic is immovable.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What possible indications are there that Lucic is going to bounce back other than mere optimism?

His skating is gone, that doesn’t get better as you age into your 30s, it gets worse.

At this point he’s a depth winger, And it’s hard to name a team in the league would be happy with him making 6.5 million on their third or fourth line. Even with 50% retention, that’s still a really expensive depth piece.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wow, you really used the way back time machine to dig for my post. LOL

Martin isn't a Leafs property anymore, so a bit irrelevant, but the premise was that the Oilers end up reducing their exposure to two years on the full hit, instead of the full five. Leafs and Oilers split the contract after two years. It's a move where Oilers can move from Lucic, without it actually costing them a good asset to move Lucic... no picks or good prospects having to be moved.

Do fans not think? You are arguing about real money pay, which frankly isn't even relevant to an organization with the revenues of the Leafs.

Based on his play last year, and any theory where he is regressing, no chance he gets $4 mil for 4 years. Look, we took on half the responsibility, and risk, for basically no cost to you.... It's ok to say, we'll keep Lucic, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

I agree on this point . I also gear my post towards cap floor teams . TML have their forwards set especially after signing JT . Cap ceiling team care about 1 thing cups and cap hit . Only way Lucic help TML is if the kids were being pushed around and that isn't the game in the east .

Point 2 isn't correct he regressed in the 2nd half of the season . They first 1/2 of the season he was on pace for 55 points . I am sure Leafs fans would argue the same things if one of their players had 1/2 a down season .

Inclusion some of what you said applies to TML,s of the world not the Arizona,s . As for Lucic it is a given soon or later his contract will become a problem . He may rebound from 1/2 a bad season but for how long ?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not buying that. I kept hearing from Canadiens fans about how terrible Alzner was and when I saw him play he was so bad that he should not have been playing at all.

I'm not sure why that means they think Lucic doesn't suck too. And Montreal needs warm bodies on D. They don't need wingers, even if they do trade Pacioretty.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006

he is terrible but not enough that the Habs should add on to take on lucic's contract lol

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
he is terrible but not enough that the Habs should add on to take on lucic's contract lol

I think he's probably terrible enough that they wouldn't trade Lucic for him. What's the benefit? I am pretty sure that there are teams that would give Lucic a shot if they weren't paying much of anything at all, I don't see why the Oilers would take a worse player and still have a cap hit and add something else to it, never mind adding a 1st like someone said.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sure why that means they think Lucic doesn't suck too. And Montreal needs warm bodies on D. They don't need wingers, even if they do trade Pacioretty.

The person I responded to said Lucic+ for Alzner, I said I don't think the Oilers are the ones adding a + in that scenario. I think the Canadiens should just keep Alzner if he is important at all to them. Someone else said Lucic and a 1st for Alzner which is pretty ridiculous considering Lucic is still the better player and only has a $1.375 million higher cap hit. The only thing better about Alzner is that his deal is one year shorter. Is that really something that makes this a deal where the Oilers have to add something to it? A 1st according to someone? I don't buy it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lucic was playing some real good hockey before Christmas: 23 points in 28 games, tied for 64th in overall scoring, and tied for 16th among LWers. No way did he suddenly become permanently terrible over the four day holiday break. I think he'll be much better next season.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Proposition:

To Edmonton: Karl Alzner

To Montreal: Milan Lucic + Puljujarvi

Lucic have + 1 year contract et he have 1.5M plus per year... so Puljujarvi is the compensation

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Bobby Ryan for Milan Lucic is probably the most interesting swap of bad contracts one could make. Ottawa saves money but adds two more years of a bad player. Edmonton spends $1.25M on the cap more but get out of a bad contract two years earlier.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Lucic was playing some real good hockey before Christmas: 23 points in 28 games, tied for 64th in overall scoring, and tied for 16th among LWers. No way did he suddenly become permanently terrible over the four day holiday break. I think he'll be much better next season.

we have 2 ways we can look at this... 1) he suddenly become too slow in the span of a couple games
or
2) he possibly contacted a nagging injury...

and then? maybe he lost some of his mojo either because the slump/and the fans got on him... or maybe its just very hard to play his style of hockey on a losing team

so, where does that take us to this year? very unlikely hes finished as a physical specimen. it would require someone with a very whacky imagination to think the game got too fast for him overnight

but... will his health/attitude improve?

its possible he wont bounce back...

but the reason wouldn't be because the game got too fast between December 31 2017/jan 1 2018

Reactions: Del Preston

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
we have 2 ways we can look at this... 1) he suddenly become too slow in the span of a couple games
or
2) he possibly contacted a nagging injury...

and then? maybe he lost some of his mojo either because the slump/and the fans got on him... or maybe its just very hard to play his style of hockey on a losing team

so, where does that take us to this year? very unlikely hes finished as a physical specimen. it would require someone with a very whacky imagination to think the game got too fast for him overnight

but... will his health/attitude improve?

its possible he wont bounce back...

but the reason wouldn't be because the game got too fast between December 31 2017/jan 1 2018
A couple members of the local media have hinted there was some off-ice issue(s) that contributed to his game falling apart. His decline after Christmas also happened at the exact time the Oilers season went into the dumps for good. They were on a 4-game winning streak and finally back in the playoff picture before the break; they lost 7 of the next 8 and were done for good before mid-January.

This seems like a player who began struggling and couldn't fix the problems for reasons you have mentioned. Last season sucked for everyone on the team except McDavid.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
There are far too many awful proposals here to respond to all of them.

So just no, for what's proposed here the team is much better off just keeping Lucic.

Especially lol at Alzner for Lucic and Puljujarvi. Take back an equally bad contract for a significantly worse player that doesn't fill a need and throw in Puljujarvi on top of it? Sure, that sounds great!

I wouldn't trade Lucic for Alzner straight up let alone add.

Reactions: 780il

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
There are far too many awful proposals here to respond to all of them.

So just no, for what's proposed here the team is much better off just keeping Lucic.

Especially lol at Alzner for Lucic and Puljujarvi. Take back an equally bad contract for a significantly worse player that doesn't fill a need and throw in Puljujarvi on top of it? Sure, that sounds great!

I wouldn't trade Lucic for Alzner straight up let alone add.

So you will keep Lucic for a long time and he will take a big part of the salary cap

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think this would be a case of what are you willing to give up to shed the contract, not how much you'd get back. Right now giving him that contract looks like a glaring error in judgement so there's probably not going to be a lineup of teams to bail you out of the last 5.5 years of it, even rebuilding teams are likely to see that as a cap hindrance because of the term
This^.
Oil insist that there is real upside still to Lucic, and the odds are against that; without any return to high productivity, he is not worth big $ paid. That applying to the Oilers also applies to other teams, so chance of backscratch favor with a trading partner is less than minimal.

Mark Staal for Milan Lucic!

Oilers save $300,000 per year, and are done with the contract in 4 years.
Sorry LH, no.
Staal is a lot this year, but buy out next year, the numbers are very doable.
No interest in that swap.

Why would the Rangers be adding to a Staal-Lucic trade with the extra years on Lucic's deal and higher cap hit?

Prefer Staal as a 3LD, ideally no longer misused by AV, 12ish mins/game, pref with a a fast RD partner. There is no such workaround for Lucic.
It cannot be emphasized the cost of cap space as an increasingly precious resource will continue to go up. Term screws Oil, and the nature of retention is across the board each yr of contract deal, not I'll buy out last x number of years off the back end, so options with trade partner limited.

Ryan and Seabrook are worse contracts.
Other than that, there is no hope w/out Oil paying HUGE bribe to have partner take bad contract.

best chance for EDM is if there are amnesty buyouts in the next CBA, and that happens sooner than later [if the deal were approved now, to take place when current deal expires, except ok for amnesty buyouts to take place immediately instead of later].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->