Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He has played like 5-6 games this season with McDavid (and I believe has 7 points with him in those games). 95% of the time he's on Nuge's line, the 2nd line, and Maroon is on the top line (or recently, someone else like Caggiula or whomever). I'd take 55-60 points from a big, bruising 2nd line winger who's not afraid of the net, and can be a pest in the playoffs, any time. 6m is fine -- a bit high, but not egregious. Think how many teams would want him if he was getting 4.5m or even 5m. It's not that far off, if it's off at all.

I was just reading the thread... not a lot to say on it other than your last line caught my attention cause its a pet peeve for me

this whole "if he was only" thing

its like when they say if torey krug was only 6'1 then think how great he would be

or when they say if phil kessel only played better defense

or when they say if jaromir jagr was only 15 years younger

etc etc etc

that's the whole point of the debate though... I really don't get when someone says if he was only this... and only that... because usually that's the whole point of the debate

if lucic was only getting 4.5 for the next couple years my bruins would never ever have traded him in the first place... LA would never have let him go... and Edmonton wouldn't be looking at him as a huge problem today...

but why is this even a relevant point to bring up? because hes not ONLY getting 4.5 and hes not even ONLY getting 5. and it isn't ONLY just for 1-2 years either

for what its worth though you are correct... if his contract was a great contract then everyone would want him

Reactions: Sami Salo

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I was just reading the thread... not a lot to say on it other than your last line caught my attention cause its a pet peeve for me

its like when they say if torey krug was only 6'1 then think how great he would be

etc etc etc

that's the whole point of the debate though... I really don't get when someone says if he was only this... and only that... because usually that's the whole point of the debate

if lucic was only getting 4.5 for the next couple years my bruins would never ever have traded him in the first place... LA would never have let him go... and Edmonton wouldn't be looking at him as a huge problem today...

but why is this even a relevant point to bring up? because hes not ONLY getting 4.5 and hes not even ONLY getting 5. and it isn't ONLY just for 1-2 years either

for what its worth though you are correct... if his contract was a great contract then everyone would want him

I'm speaking in relative terms. An abstraction. Of course many of those things would be true. I'm using the terms figuratively in a relative way to show that his paycheck isn't off what many (if not most) teams would gladly pay him and make room for him to fit in their cap. UFAs in demand get paid. I'm sure there are many other GMs that would even pay the 6m to have him; I believe it was reported around the time he signed with the Oilers that he received basically the same deal from a couple other teams, but the Oilers threw in the NMC and that's what closed the deal. My memory could be wrong, but that's what I recall. But anyway, UFAs usually get overpaid to some extent; that's always been the case. If he's overpaid by 1m, so be it; that's pretty common for signed UFAs, so that's something you have to accept.

Lucic has always been a slow starter to the season, and that's something that's getting over-looked, too. Yet he's on pace for 60 points. Would like to see more goals, but he usually scores in spurts, so I don't have much doubt he'll get his 20-25 goals this season -- he's close to on pace for 20 as it stands.

Last edited:

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Yet we never hear of Loui Eriksson who also got 6m for a pretty long term, and has been much worse, is somewhat injury prone and brings much less to a game. He would be harder to trade than Lucic; some very good assets would have to go with him to dump him.

Troy Brouwer, while it was "only" 4.5m he got per season, has been an unmitigated disaster. His value is way below zero or neutral, without a doubt, and that's on a deal that pays him 1.5m per less and signed for fewer years than Lucic.

If anyone recently signed in the past two years have been disasters for the Canadian teams, it's been those two much more so than Lucic. Funny how we never hear about those two guys. Now someone explain that one to me. I know the reason why, but I want to see if anyone can realize the reason why. It's quite simple, so it should be easy.

What? Calgary gets made fun of for Bennett all the time and Vancouver still catches heat for choosing Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. I see those alot more than anything Lucic related.

As a team though, the Oilers probably get the most flack on the main boards. It's pretty funny actually.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What? Calgary gets made fun of for Bennett all the time and Vancouver still catches heat for choosing Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. I see those alot more than anything Lucic related.

As a team though, the Oilers probably get the most flack on the main boards. It's pretty funny actually.

Oh, I know. And I know the reasons why, which makes it funny at a different level which only someone from my perspective would appreciate. Laugh it up, everyone! Enjoy it, because I sure do. ;)

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as to the whole question of lucic in general... anyone that has watched him play the past 6-7 years should have seen he has a pattern. he cant show up everygame. I think its very understandable. this guy isn't a greatly skilled player as far as being able to have things come easy for him. this guy makes his own breaks happen on the ice mostly by running people over and creating a sense of intimidation.

to play the way lucic needs to play... requires more effort than most players need to put out to have their results. and lucics overall skill level doesn't look as good when hes not in his full-on beast mode.

if lucic isn't running people over... and if he starts to fall a step behind the play... he begins to stand out as a not very good player and starts to draw the ire of fans.

but because lucic runs the risk of injury when he is playing beast mode... he really does need to pick his spots. ive seen lucic playing with a nagging injury at playoff time and it is very disappointing. playoff time is when you need lucic healthy. ive seen him healthy at playoff time and he is one of those few individuals in the nhl that can turn a shift... a period... a game... and even a series around almost single handed.

when lucic is healthy and engaged and able to give 100% out there he is still a very special player.

but you honestly cant expect that 82 games in a regular season.

sadly Edmonton is in desperate need for experienced winning leadership and lucic is pretty much their most experienced winning player. the team is overly dependent on him for leadership and when he is a notoriously inconsistent player that doesn't make him an ideal leader/example for a young team

lucic would probably be far more valuable to a legit cup contender that has a layer of leadership above him. I know he was very valuable to my bruins in that type of role.

where would I see him fitting in now? maybe a team like the ducks? from what I understand lucic wants to stay out west for family reasons. if that's true you got to find a team he would accept a trade too. a lucic for perry trade with a couple other things thrown in on either side to balance the value might make some sense for both teams? perry seams to be slowing down a bit in Anaheim and might be able to benefit from a change of scenery? perry is a much better goal scorer and would theoletically be a better linemate for McDavid. Anaheim meanwhile has been a playoff disappointment and could probably benefit from a more playoff specific force of nature. I think nick Ritchie could benefit from being able to be around lucic and learn how lucic is so effective on a day to day basis too.

my prediction is that lucics contract will be very ugly by the end... but its not that ugly today. and hes still healthy enough today that he can be a true difference maker at playoffs for a team that wants to catch lightning in a bottle and have a shot at a cup

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hagelin + Jarry

I think the Penguins need Jarry too much currently for me to trade him, unless they add another good backup goalie. I don't think the value is bad, I just don't think it's a move the Penguins can make right now.

If they'd add Huchinson or someone like that, I'd have to think for a while about that offer.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I really hate to mention this and absolutely think it makes no sense from the Canucks perspective, but ...

Benning prizes grit. He overpaid Dorsett, he overpaid to acquire Gudbranson, he thought he was getting something positive when he got an over-the-hill Prust and he was wining and dining Lucic last summer. Since then the Canucks have lost Dorsett for the season (and probably permanently) and Gudbranson has missed time with injury again. The Canucks are short on grit.

Would the Canucks still be willing to take him? They'd have to clear some cap space this season-but with Dorsett on LTIR, it's possible. Eriksson was suggested earlier in this thread but I can't see the Oilers taking on an older player on a contract that is just as bad. Lucic's contract is for too many years and so bonus-laden that it's essentially buyout-proof, but so is Eriksson's. The Canucks might give something though-Gudbranson +, for example. They might even give more.

Of course, acquiring a rental d-man whose main attributes are strength and character isn't a great return, but it would rid the Oilers of Lucic's contract in return for a lesser contract

I don't think it makes sense for the Canucks, but think it quite possible Benning would give up some value for Lucic even given his contract. Of course, Lucic having chosen Edmonton over Vancouver in the first place might well refuse to waive his nmc.

As a Canucks fan, I am hoping that:

1. Chiarelli doesn't want to move Lucic, who is performing largely as should have been expected; or
2. Lucic won't waive his nmc to come to the Canucks.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I honestly see potential for a Pacioretty-Lucic trade. Edmonton would need to add a good piece, but I can see why both teams would have interest

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So Lucic is at a sub 60 point pace while playing with McDavid? Yikes. Can't imagine what would happen if he was taken off McDavids line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating but look at what happened to Kunitz after he left Crosby.

Considering you are talking out of your butt and don't know that he's barely played with McDavid...umm...yeah.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
This thread is looking worse and worse as time goes on.

21 points in his last 24 games. Hurts little people.

His contract is top 3 in the league for 6 million dollar players.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev
Feb 24, 2017

etc etc etc

Thank you. I too hate it when people say completely stupid and asanine things.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I really hate to mention this and absolutely think it makes no sense from the Canucks perspective, but ...

Benning prizes grit. He overpaid Dorsett, he overpaid to acquire Gudbranson, he thought he was getting something positive when he got an over-the-hill Prust and he was wining and dining Lucic last summer. Since then the Canucks have lost Dorsett for the season (and probably permanently) and Gudbranson has missed time with injury again. The Canucks are short on grit.

Would the Canucks still be willing to take him? They'd have to clear some cap space this season-but with Dorsett on LTIR, it's possible. Eriksson was suggested earlier in this thread but I can't see the Oilers taking on an older player on a contract that is just as bad. Lucic's contract is for too many years and so bonus-laden that it's essentially buyout-proof, but so is Eriksson's. The Canucks might give something though-Gudbranson +, for example. They might even give more.

Of course, acquiring a rental d-man whose main attributes are strength and character isn't a great return, but it would rid the Oilers of Lucic's contract in return for a lesser contract

I don't think it makes sense for the Canucks, but think it quite possible Benning would give up some value for Lucic even given his contract. Of course, Lucic having chosen Edmonton over Vancouver in the first place might well refuse to waive his nmc.

As a Canucks fan, I am hoping that:

1. Chiarelli doesn't want to move Lucic, who is performing largely as should have been expected; or
2. Lucic won't waive his nmc to come to the Canucks.

1. He probably wouldn’t. His contract really isn’t bad, despite the HF groupthink, so to get him, we’d need to be offered a player who can fill the same role, and that defeats the purpose of the trade for both teams.

2. He won’t. He had no interest in playing in Vancouver

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

etc etc etc

This post sure is looking pretty dumb. He's three points back of Marchand. lol

That Marchand contract is an albatross.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I don't really get why people think Lucic is some terrible anchor of a contract. Which of these other big money UFA contracts handed out the same week are better?

Milan Lucic- 7 years, 6M
82gp-23g-27a-50pt
32gp-7g-15a-22pt

Kyle Okposo- 7 year, 6M
65gp-19g-26a-45pt
31gp-5g-9a-14pt

Loui Eriksson- 6 year, 6M
65gp-11g-13a-24pt
21gp-5g-6a-11pt

David Backes- 5 year, 6M
74gp-17g-21a-38pt
12gp-2g-2a-4pt

Andrew Ladd- 7 year, 5.5M
78gp-23g-8a-31pt
32gp-8g-7a-15pt

Frans Nielsen- 6 year, 5.25M
79gp-17g-24a-41pt
32gp-8g-4a-12pt

Troy Brouwer- 4 year, 4.5M
74gp-13g-12a-25pt
32gp-2g-6a-8pt

And just in case you think these are cherry-picked, this is every UFA forward contract over 4.5M average handed out from July 1st to the start of the season.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This thread is looking worse and worse as time goes on.

21 points in his last 24 games. Hurts little people.

His contract is top 3 in the league for 6 million dollar players.

This. The 'durrr it's all McDavid' crowd should note that Lucic was doing plenty of damage with RNH. He got promoted because he was wildly outperforming Pat Maroon, who has been a big ol bag of suck this year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
1. He probably wouldn’t. His contract really isn’t bad, despite the HF groupthink, so to get him, we’d need to be offered a player who can fill the same role, and that defeats the purpose of the trade for both teams.

2. He won’t. He had no interest in playing in Vancouver

Exactly.

Also that guy's offer was what, Gudbranson+ for Lucic? Woof. We sure do need another slow barely NHL quality #5 defenceman for our 1LW...

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Lucic was signed to send a message to Mcdavid. The intent was to surround Mcdavid with winners, talent and toughness.
You can't just read the stats page and assess Lucics contribution.
I can't think of any better ufa signing in the past few years.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't really get why people think Lucic is some terrible anchor of a contract. Which of these other big money UFA contracts handed out the same week are better?

Milan Lucic- 7 years, 6M
82gp-23g-27a-50pt
32gp-7g-15a-22pt

Kyle Okposo- 7 year, 6M
65gp-19g-26a-45pt
31gp-5g-9a-14pt

Loui Eriksson- 6 year, 6M
65gp-11g-13a-24pt
21gp-5g-6a-11pt

David Backes- 5 year, 6M
74gp-17g-21a-38pt
12gp-2g-2a-4pt

Andrew Ladd- 7 year, 5.5M
78gp-23g-8a-31pt
32gp-8g-7a-15pt

Frans Nielsen- 6 year, 5.25M
79gp-17g-24a-41pt
32gp-8g-4a-12pt

Troy Brouwer- 4 year, 4.5M
74gp-13g-12a-25pt
32gp-2g-6a-8pt

And just in case you think these are cherry-picked, this is every UFA forward contract over 4.5M average handed out from July 1st to the start of the season.

is it possible to have more than one bad contract in the league? maybe you would like every single one of these contracts on your team? is that what you want? it seams that you are saying if one contract is the same as the others it makes them all good? is that what you are saying?

if you were gm of the oilers I'm sure you could get this entire list of players without having to trade away much... and I kind of think youd be able to get lucic for around the same cost because a bad contract is a bad contract is a bad contract

of course to compound how bad these contracts are most have a ntc so they are not actually movable in the first place for that reason but comparing a bad contract to another bad contract doesn't make it a good contract

no more than adding one pail of pig manure to a pail of icecream would result in anything more than 2 pails of pig manure

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
is it possible to have more than one bad contract in the league? maybe you would like every single one of these contracts on your team? is that what you want? it seams that you are saying if one contract is the same as the others it makes them all good? is that what you are saying?

if you were gm of the oilers I'm sure you could get this entire list of players without having to trade away much... and I kind of think youd be able to get lucic for around the same cost because a bad contract is a bad contract is a bad contract

of course to compound how bad these contracts are most have a ntc so they are not actually movable in the first place for that reason but comparing a bad contract to another bad contract doesn't make it a good contract

no more than adding one pail of pig manure to a pail of icecream would result in anything more than 2 pails of pig manure

People can use their crystal ball to predict that this contract will be crap by its end or even sooner, but he is currently earning his pay and adds a ton of intangibles to the Oilers. We had to give him security so that he'd come to our team, we did, it is a trade-off. I for one liked the deal when it was signed and so far so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad