Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So based on the replies... Shea Weber for Lucic is fair because both contracts will suck in 3 to 5 years? Oilers want to win now and don’t care about 5 years from now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lucic has 6 years left. good luck getting anything of value in return for your 20g/50pt 2nd line winger.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lucic has 6 years left. good luck getting anything of value in return for your 20g/50pt 2nd line winger.

On a related note... Oilers have almost $6M in cap this season (half will go to McJesus bonuses though). I rather have $6M player who can contribute 50pts rather than a $2M scrub or nothing... In fact that's what we did with the Eberle-Strome trade and look what happened.

You must hate Kessel too? Wrong side of thirty, declining production, overpaid, etc.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
On a related note... Oilers have almost $6M in cap this season (half will go to McJesus bonuses though). I rather have $6M player who can contribute 50pts rather than a $2M scrub or nothing... In fact that's what we did with the Eberle-Strome trade and look what happened.

You must hate Kessel too? Wrong side of thirty, declining production, overpaid, etc.

You're not going to want to pay Lucic that starting next year. Yikes, huge blunder by Chia.

Kessel is ppg+ and plays a relatively safe game. Lucic on the other hand, plays a game that takes a toll on your body. Not comparable.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You're not going to want to pay Lucic that starting next year. Yikes, huge blunder by Chia.

Kessel is ppg+ and plays a relatively safe game. Lucic on the other hand, plays a game that takes a toll on your body. Not comparable.

Fake news. Kessel hasn't been PPG for years and is PPG only this season mainly because of 19 PP points and he's not helping the Pens at ES (they are terrible at ES). Both Lucic and Kessel have the exact same ES points (17) and both are close at +/-

Phil Kessel hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

That wasn't my point though... would you want $6.8M of cap space or Kessel this season? Who cares about 3 or 5 years from now?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You guys are all looking at this wrong. Next CBA 2020 Lucic will be gone. He only has to hold value until then and either get traded or bought out. Wont even have a $1 of cap retained implications.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Lucic gets a stupid amount of undeserved hate on here.

Is it undeserved?

Lucic has earned such hate. There is not a fan out there who hasn't seen their favorite player/team get pummeled and manhandled and beat up by Lucic. Then they have to watch that damn goon play in the top six and score a couple goals while doing it. Oh, he's earned his hate all right. He's no Matt Cook. That frustrates them even more. Don't even get me started on the pacifistic/Beta crowd.

He deserves it and that is the ultimate compliment.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Fake news. Kessel hasn't been PPG for years and is PPG only this season mainly because of 19 PP points and he's not helping the Pens at ES (they are terrible at ES). Both Lucic and Kessel have the exact same ES points (17) and both are close at +/-

Phil Kessel hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

That wasn't my point though... would you want $6.8M of cap space or Kessel this season? Who cares about 3 or 5 years from now?

So Lucic sucking on the PP is a slight against Kessel?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lucic gets a stupid amount of undeserved hate on here.
Pretty much. Not surprised that he's looking better this year than last. Its not uncommon for guys to take a year to settle in with a new team. He's actually looking good playing with McDavid now over the past few games, so he might have even found himself in the spot where we originally envisioned him. The Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi line have been very good.

I got no problem paying Lucic 6M if he can put up 55-60 points, and thats fine if its alongside McDavid for the rest of the year. Based off what HF seems to believe I should be expecting him to be declining right now, but he's actually getting better compared to last year.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much. Not surprised that he's looking better this year than last. Its not uncommon for guys to take a year to settle in with a new team. He's actually looking good playing with McDavid now over the past few games, so he might have even found himself in the spot where we originally envisioned him. The Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi line have been very good.

I got no problem paying Lucic 6M if he can put up 55-60 points, and thats fine if its alongside McDavid for the rest of the year. Based off what HF seems to believe I should be expecting him to be declining right now, but he's actually getting better compared to last year.

So Lucic is at a sub 60 point pace while playing with McDavid? Yikes. Can't imagine what would happen if he was taken off McDavids line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating but look at what happened to Kunitz after he left Crosby.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So Lucic sucking on the PP is a slight against Kessel?

Think he's wondering why Leafs fans ran him out of town to begin with. He's always been about a PPG in the playoffs, and regular producer in the regular season, and as you say, he's pretty responsible and has a lot of speed. I thought it was the right move to trade Phaneuf, but never understood the Kessel move. Well, I guess it helped you tank for Matthews, so there's that.

From my memory (and I live in Ontario), I believe Leafs fans were just very sick and tired of that team and wanted huge changes all around, kind of for the sake of it, but also for the sake of rebuilding. But I try my best to ignore all Leafs garbage, so I might be remembering incorrectly.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So Lucic is at a sub 60 point pace while playing with McDavid? Yikes. Can't imagine what would happen if he was taken off McDavids line.

He has played like 5-6 games this season with McDavid (and I believe has 7 points with him in those games). 95% of the time he's on Nuge's line, the 2nd line, and Maroon is on the top line (or recently, someone else like Caggiula or whomever). I'd take 55-60 points from a big, bruising 2nd line winger who's not afraid of the net, and can be a pest in the playoffs, any time. 6m is fine -- a bit high, but not egregious. Think how many teams would want him if he was getting 4.5m or even 5m. It's not that far off, if it's off at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Think he's wondering why Leafs fans ran him out of town to begin with. He's always been about a PPG in the playoffs, and regular producer in the regular season, and as you say, he's pretty responsible and has a lot of speed. I thought it was the right move to trade Phaneuf, but never understood the Kessel move. Well, I guess it helped you tank for Matthews, so there's that.

From my memory (and I live in Ontario), I believe Leafs fans were just very sick and tired of that team and wanted huge changes all around, kind of for the sake of it, but also for the sake of rebuilding. But I try my best to ignore all Leafs garbage, so I might be remembering incorrectly.

Wrong thread kiddo. This thread is about the Oilers, not the Leafs. Follow the link below and you should get what you're looking for:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/toronto-maple-leafs.17/

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oilers would need to retain on Lucic to make him enticing to teams, he's still producing at a respectable rate (sort of, his contract demands more out of him). Or at worst, another player that needs a change that has a similar cap hit.

It was a bad contract to begin with.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Wrong thread kiddo. This thread is about the Oilers, not the Leafs. Follow the link below and you should get what you're looking for:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/toronto-maple-leafs.17/

I'm following the conversation, and this conversation is in this thread. Thanks for the patronization, though, "kiddo." Shows a ton of class.

That you don't want to answer the question says all we need to know. You project more than you probably realize.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers would need to retain on Lucic to make him enticing to teams, he's still producing at a respectable rate (sort of, his contract demands more out of him). Or at worst, another player that needs a change that has a similar cap hit.

It was a bad contract to begin with.
For all the criticizing of his contract, he's easily been the best forward out of that UFA year who got upwards of 6M per.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
For all the criticizing of his contract, he's easily been the best forward out of that UFA year who got upwards of 6M per.

Yet we never hear of Loui Eriksson who also got 6m for a pretty long term, and has been much worse, is somewhat injury prone and brings much less to a game. He would be harder to trade than Lucic; some very good assets would have to go with him to dump him.

Troy Brouwer, while it was "only" 4.5m he got per season, has been an unmitigated disaster. His value is way below zero or neutral, without a doubt, and that's on a deal that pays him 1.5m per less and signed for fewer years than Lucic.

If anyone recently signed in the past two years have been disasters for the Canadian teams, it's been those two much more so than Lucic. Funny how we never hear about those two guys. Now someone explain that one to me. I know the reason why, but I want to see if anyone can realize the reason why. It's quite simple, so it should be easy.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
I'm following the conversation, and this conversation is in this thread. Thanks for the patronization, though, "kiddo." Shows a ton of class.

That you don't want to answer the question says all we need to know. You project more than you probably realize.

Well, how was what you said relevant? He's talking about current Kessel and Kessel plays for Pittsburgh. He got traded a couple years ago.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Well, how was what you said relevant? He's talking about current Kessel and Kessel plays for Pittsburgh. He got traded a couple years ago.

It's not like he completely changed his game when he got to Pittsburgh -- let's be honest, now. Leafs wanted to tank, and did so in a much more obvious manner than the Oilers ever did. While that's debatable, I think the facts when laid out would show it to be true. But the Leafs got what they wanted. Everything worked out, so why try to duck it?

Only allowed to trash the Oilers here or something?

I think Babcock would be THRILLED (not the Phil kind) to have Lucic on that Leafs team. Certainly a big upgrade over Hyman. And let's not pretend Babcock wouldn't have Lucic on the Leaf's top line. Well that's the price for a player that brings what Lucic does. That's just reality.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad