Proposal: Oilers need to trade Lucic

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Kings be like...

PSekj-.gif

Not for lack of trying though.

member 290103

Lucic is nice bottom 6 addition, but that contract. f*** me, keep that f***ing guy far away from my team. That's boat anchor of a deal.

I also hate the player's character. The most unsportsmanlike player in the league. A giant baby.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If one of the main reasons to trade him is fear he can suck as time passes... then trading him during a 10 game hot streak is probably smart

But is this 10 game hot streak enough to convince anyone to gamble on years 4,5,6?

Honestly no one should be surprised if he has a good year this year. Most of us said for 2-3 years he will be a good signing. It was always a question of those last years

Lucic is prob the type of leader edmonton needs. Maybe he will agree to be an enforcer as his speed and skill detererate? Edmontons prob stuck with him but i feel its ok. He helps some

But as far as timing of this proposal... if anyone were to offer to take him... its more likely they would when hes hot

There are lost of ways to rid yourself of bad deals if you have to. At this point Lucic is producing at a level consistent with his contract and he also provides important intangibles. If he falls off a cliff they can deal with that then.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
There are lost of ways to rid yourself of bad deals if you have to. At this point Lucic is producing at a level consistent with his contract and he also provides important intangibles. If he falls off a cliff they can deal with that then.

There are a series of opt out clausesin the CBA set for Sept 2019,
New cba's could potentially provide a free pass to buyout any contracts.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If one of the main reasons to trade him is fear he can suck as time passes... then trading him during a 10 game hot streak is probably smart

But is this 10 game hot streak enough to convince anyone to gamble on years 4,5,6?

Honestly no one should be surprised if he has a good year this year. Most of us said for 2-3 years he will be a good signing. It was always a question of those last years

Lucic is prob the type of leader edmonton needs. Maybe he will agree to be an enforcer as his speed and skill detererate? Edmontons prob stuck with him but i feel its ok. He helps some

But as far as timing of this proposal... if anyone were to offer to take him... its more likely they would when hes hot

If we weren't prepared to gamble on years 4, 5 and 6 we probably wouldn't have signed him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So in the last 4 seasons:
Lucic
13-14 80gm 24G 59P
14-15 81gm 18G 44P
15-16 81gm 20g 55P
16-17 82gm 23G 50p
he has averaged 81gm 21G 52P

this year he is 27gm 5g 19P
on pace for 15G 57P were he would average 82gm 19G 53P in the 2 years as an oiler.
Part of repeatability of base performance is games missed.
A # 13/14 forward replaces missed games.

His worst season has been 18G 44P
from 13-14 to 16-17 the wingers to achieve 18G 44P all 4 seasons are.

there were 15 wingers who achieved this:
Ovechkin LW(32yr) 4@ 9.54M
Benn LW (28) 8@ 9.5M
Marleau LW (38) 3@ 6.25M
Lucic LW (29) 6@ 6M
Saad LW (25) 4@ 6M
Pacioretty LW (29) 2@ 4.5M

P. Kane RW 6@ 10.5M
Perry RW (32) 4@ 8.625M
P. Kessel RW (30) 5@ 8M
Eberle RW (27) 2@ 6M
Okposo RW (29) 6@ 6M
Oshie RW (31) 8@ 5.75M
Wheeler RW (31) 2@ 5.6M
Hornquist RW (30) 1@ 4.25M
Simmonds RW (29) 2@ 3.975M

Repeatability of baseline performance is a critical measure for player affect.
Lucic is one of the 6 most consistent offensive LW in the game.
He gets replaced by 13/14 forwards 1-2 gm a year.

So you are tired of a player with an elite level of base repetitive play.

You are saying you are tired of consistent upper level performance and you want inconsistent lower level of performance.

Repeatable baseline performance!
Belichek and I look for that!

This is a great post. Thanks!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No thanks, I'd rather keep Alzner
We are so lucky Lucic decided to choose the Oilers
That's hilarious. You'd rather the guy who just signed and already sucks (and did before he signed too) for a guy who signed a few years ago and has been productive every year. Sounds like homer bias to me. HF talks about "what about when Lucic's body breaks down?" Well, you're finding out this season that it has already on Alzner.

We're pretty lucky that Lucic chose Edmonton too. You can't have him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
That's hilarious. You'd rather the guy who just signed and already sucks (and did before he signed too) for a guy who signed a few years ago and has been productive every year. Sounds like homer bias to me. HF talks about "what about when Lucic's body breaks down?" Well, you're finding out this season that it has already on Alzner.

We're pretty lucky that Lucic chose Edmonton too. You can't have him.

No worries, we don't want him.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm so confused now..What is the knock on Lucic and why do the Oilers think they don't need him? His size, his numbers...you figure there are so many other players on the team that deserve a kick in the butt before him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At some point we may regret signing him but the only people in Edmonton that are likely whining about him are the ones that are ticked that he was signed as Hall's replacement once we traded for Larsson. There's a lot wrong with the Oilers right now, Lucic is not part of that.

Reactions: TrentonF

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Lucic has been fine so far. He's not as physical as I expected but right now, no complaints.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Lmfao at clueless posters in this thread Lucic has been fine, yes he's slow but he has underrated smartness.
Not sure why this is a thread but ok.

Alzner for Milan Lucic :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you've got to be kidding me

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It is time that the Oilers move away from Lucic. He is not the old Lucic they wanted ..... he has slowed down. He still has upside but just Not a good fit with the Oilers.

Would rather use that $6 million salary else where.

So that being said ..... What team would take him?? And what could the Oilers get in return??

So your pitch is that we’ve got an overpaid player who is only going to get worse and that you’ll have for another four years? Where do I sign up for that!

Face it, your GM didn’t learn the rule that if he listens to the fans, he’ll end up sitting with them. Smarter GMs aren’t going to do you any favors.

Enjoy wasting McDavid.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So your pitch is that we’ve got an overpaid player who is only going to get worse and that you’ll have for another four years? Where do I sign up for that!

Face it, your GM didn’t learn the rule that if he listens to the fans, he’ll end up sitting with them. Smarter GMs aren’t going to do you any favors.

Enjoy wasting McDavid.

off topic, but great username I loved Sneakers

setec astronomy=no more secrets

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I really haven't had an issue with Lucic's performance as an Oiler so far. I'm sure he will slow down eventually but no complaints with his production since he joined the team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm still of the belief he has very positive value. Maybe not a first and a top prospect, but Alzner for Lucic? Yeah I'm hoping for a trade like that as a Canucks fan, but people really think that?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Lucic + Oilers 2nd round pick
for
Hagelin

What the what? NO, never. Lucic is a productive player, but the Pens can't be chained to that contract. If the Pens did this deal, they would promptly kiss Hornqvist goodbye. They have a slew of RFA deals over the next few years that need. They have to keep Horns (unique player, locker room glue). Its already a gamble without going after a completely different player.

Hagelin expires in two years. If he improves he can be retained. If he stagnates he can be moved with retention or to a non-contender as a salary makeweight. Either way, he's gone within 2 years. We have to leave that be or trade him for a rental fix.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm still of the belief he has very positive value. Maybe not a first and a top prospect, but Alzner for Lucic? Yeah I'm hoping for a trade like that as a Canucks fan, but people really think that?
Lucic the player has more value than Alzner, but his contract sucks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lucic the player has more value than Alzner, but his contract sucks.

Absolutely, but he isn't exactly slumming it to cause the contract value to decrease, it's the term and his style of play that make it likely he won't play out his contract at the same level that makes the contract bad. I'm confident they could find someone to take Lucic at full value due to the buying party over looking the long term ramifications if they chose to. GMs aren't always secure in their jobs and playoffs NIW might be better then cap hell later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad