Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wish it would work out... I would absolutely love to see EK with McDavid and Drai... But I totally get why it most likely won't work out... 4 years remaining for a team to have that cap nowadays is just too much

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not sure anything is more likely to happen in the offseason. Karlsson, with or without a Norris, won’t be quite as shiny then to any team who might want him. Much of his appeal comes from his lightning-in-a-bottle season, and I’m sure teams realize that the combination of his age and injury history, that that contract can south quick. It’s definitely a risk for the Sharks to hold on to him and for other teams to miss out this season.
If you're not sure then I don't think you've thought this through all that much. More teams with more cap dollars pretty much makes it more likely in the offseason by default and it has been what was expected to occur by those in hockey circles for practically the entire season. There's very little risk on San Jose's end to hold on to Karlsson through the rest of this season and the Sharks are plenty capable of handling any potential worst case scenario as it relates to Karlsson but if you want the Sharks or any team to retain on a contract with term, you're going to pay somehow and Edmonton simply isn't willing to yet. But them missing out on one of the best players in the league and settling for someone like Klingberg or Gostisbehere probably won't help the Oilers win a Cup and/or keep McDavid when his contract is up.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I expect only severe disappointment this year. If Holland fails to have any creativity again…

It’ll be hard to stomach as a fan. At what point do you pay for the asset and give SJ another 1st to retain on a piece that will immediately improve the breakouts on the team.

I’m so sick of watching low IQ D-men throw the puck off the glass and immediately get scored on when that doesn’t work.

Reactions: Kerberos and Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I’m so sick of watching low IQ D-men throw the puck off the glass and immediately get scored on when that doesn’t work.
Edmonton-Oilers-prospect-Evan-Bouchard-post-practice-presser1.jpg

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It's great that Karlsson is having an amazing year but the fact that he has four years remaining and looking back at his previous four years is concerning.
Players break down with age; the odds are that this will be a one off season and he will revert to previous years(or worse)

Holland has to keep in mind that it will cost him assets to have a team take him on in 2-3 years or condition the hell out of the initial trade.

Klingberg? I don't see ANA retaining 50% and giving up assets to move him for 20 games

Gostisbehere? I don't know who comes out of the line up for him. He's not enough of an upgrade defensively over Nurse, Broberg, or Kulak. Would he be paired up with Bouchard? Seems scary

Reactions: Seachd

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If you're not sure then I don't think you've thought this through all that much. More teams with more cap dollars pretty much makes it more likely in the offseason by default and it has been what was expected to occur by those in hockey circles for practically the entire season. There's very little risk on San Jose's end to hold on to Karlsson through the rest of this season and the Sharks are plenty capable of handling any potential worst case scenario as it relates to Karlsson but if you want the Sharks or any team to retain on a contract with term, you're going to pay somehow and Edmonton simply isn't willing to yet. But them missing out on one of the best players in the league and settling for someone like Klingberg or Gostisbehere probably won't help the Oilers win a Cup and/or keep McDavid when his contract is up.

San Jose clearly wants to trade him. That's where the risk is. The problem is that the contract needs to be retained. And while I haven't looked, I don't know if many contenders open up $10 million in cap in the offseason.

If Karlsson disappears again next year, that also doesn't help the Oilers win a Cup, and definitely works against keeping anyone, let alone McDavid.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Karlsson @ 7 million

For
Tyson Barrie
Kailer Yamamoto
2023 1st
Xavier Bourgault
2024 1st conditional on him playing 75% of games from now until the end of next post season
2025 2nd

Reactions: GreeningOil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Karlsson has said he would waive his NMC for Edmonton, but right now SJ is only willing to retain 20%

need a 3rd team
You think a 3rd team will retain anything on a contract with 4 years remaining? That won't happen. If the two teams are to come to an agreement, they're going to have to come up with a solution between the two of them.
I'm guessing that both teams are willing to move a bit more anyway. They're just playing chicken right now. Seeing if the other guy will flinch.

Karlsson @ 7 million

For
Tyson Barrie
Kailer Yamamoto
2023 1st
Xavier Bourgault
2024 1st conditional on him playing 75% of games from now until the end of next post season
2025 2nd
I don't see us getting Karlsson for 7. I will never say another bad word about Kenny if he can get that amount. I'd expect maybe 8 - 8.5 is doable. That's 3 to 3.5M that the Sharks would be paying for 4 more years. It's a significant amount.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Karlsson @ 7 million

For
Tyson Barrie
Kailer Yamamoto
2023 1st
Xavier Bourgault
2025 2nd
2024 1st should be if the Oilers win the cup, if not it'll be 2024 2nd

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
San Jose clearly wants to trade him. That's where the risk is. The problem is that the contract needs to be retained. And while I haven't looked, I don't know if many contenders open up $10 million in cap in the offseason.

If Karlsson disappears again next year, that also doesn't help the Oilers win a Cup, and definitely works against keeping anyone, let alone McDavid.
I don't think we should expect Karlsson to "disappear" though. He was splitting his role with Burns until this year, and rumour is that he had all sorts of nagging injuries for the past few years that seem to be behind him. Some Sharks fans have said that he changed up his offseason training and that is what helped him get over his injury issues.

That said, I understand the concern of course. The Oilers need to protect themselves from the risk of Karlsson's injuries returning and/or his age catching up to him. I still think they need to find a way to make it work if there is any realistic deal to be had, as its Edmonton's only chance at getting a legitimate #1 defenseman.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Don't get the Oilers interest in offensive defencemen, given they have Tyson Barrie

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think we should expect Karlsson to "disappear" though. He was splitting his role with Burns until this year, and rumour is that he had all sorts of nagging injuries for the past few years that seem to be behind him. Some Sharks fans have said that he changed up his offseason training and that is what helped him get over his injury issues.

That said, I understand the concern of course. The Oilers need to protect themselves from the risk of Karlsson's injuries returning and/or his age catching up to him. I still think they need to find a way to make it work if there is any realistic deal to be had, as its Edmonton's only chance at getting a legitimate #1 defenseman.

You don't need to expect it, but you need to prepare for the possibility that it could become a nightmare.

And I agree, for the Oilers, at a decent price, it could be worth the risk.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You think a 3rd team will retain anything on a contract with 4 years remaining? That won't happen. If the two teams are to come to an agreement, they're going to have to come up with a solution between the two of them.
I'm guessing that both teams are willing to move a bit more anyway. They're just playing chicken right now. Seeing if the other guy will flinch.

I don't see us getting Karlsson for 7. I will never say another bad word about Kenny if he can get that amount. I'd expect maybe 8 - 8.5 is doable. That's 3 to 3.5M that the Sharks would be paying for 4 more years. It's a significant amount.
At 8.5 I take out the 2023 1st. The risk is just too high with Karlssons history and going into the riskiest part of his contract.
Team's do weird stuff and I'm not sure actual dollars matter as much as we think. How much of Brent Seabrooks 6.8m contract was actually insured? That's millions they are paying for LTIR space

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
At 8.5 I take out the 2023 1st. The risk is just too high with Karlssons history and going into the riskiest part of his contract.
Team's do weird stuff and I'm not sure actual dollars matter as much as we think. How much of Brent Seabrooks 6.8m contract was actually insured? That's millions they are paying for LTIR space
We can't take out the biggest asset for the Sharks though. That 2023 1st has to be in there. 2023 1st, Barrie and one of Yamamoto/Pulujarvi all have to be a part of the deal. It's the rest of the pieces that might have some wiggle room.

The Seabrook situation is a bit different. They didn't have any other options than to keep him on LTIR and pay him out. Buying him out wouldn't make sense. Nobody was trading for him. Actual dollars might not matter a ton to teams that turn a lot of profit. Are the Sharks profitable? I'm honestly not certain how much they make, but I don't think they are one of the teams at the top of the profits list. Millionaires and billionaires don't get/stay wealthy by not caring about losing a few million bucks.

Reactions: Homesick

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Why are the Oilers targeting these kinds of defenseman anyways? Are they just doubling down **** it we’ll try and win every game 7-6?
That approach does make some sense to me. Just adding a shut-down guy (or even 2) to EDM isn't going to change how the entire team plays defense. I feel like that there are times (especially at the trade deadline) that it's better to embrace your strengths and double down instead of trying to fundamentally change the entire team.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That approach does make some sense to me. Just adding a shut-down guy (or even 2) to EDM isn't going to change how the entire team plays defense. I feel like that there are times (especially at the trade deadline) that it's better to embrace your strengths and double down instead of trying to fundamentally change the entire team.
So the Oilers add more scoring and give up on defense?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Toronto tried that with barrie. It was stupid. It's better to go after someone like chychrun and wait until the coach gets fired so that someone can come in and implement a good structure.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Don't get the Oilers interest in offensive defencemen, given they have Tyson Barrie
Because Karlsson does waaaay more than Barrie. It’s not 100% the defense that sucks at defending. It’s the never ending cycle of not getting the puck out. A dman with transition skills will greatly affect our team defense.

Reactions: Mr Positive

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
He's the leading 5v5 scorer in the league, forwards included. Oilers want to be able to win (score) away from the PP for the playoffs.
Oilers have given up the 30th goals against while also scoring the most in the NHL. They need to work on keeping the puck out of their own net. Not scoring more goals. EK is having an insane season but a lot of futures being spent on more offense would be silly. Even thought it would be fun to watch.

Also, this isn’t just this year. EK has an injury history. Just LAST YEAR he was considered one of the worst contracts in the NHL. All of a sudden it’s the guy you move heaven and earth for? Come on

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Toronto tried that with barrie. It was stupid. It's better to go after someone like chychrun and wait until the coach gets fired so that someone can come in and implement a good structure.
Because it didn't work with Barrie in TOR doesn't mean that it can't work, and this is the perfect example of confirmation bias. You make it sound like getting Chychrun would be an easy task. The trade price for Chychrun is going to be VERY high. He's obviously would be a GREAT add, but because of that I'm not sure if the Oilers can (or at least are willing to) pony up the necessary assets to get that deal done.
So the Oilers add more scoring and give up on defense?

In the short term - that would be the direction I would go. I don't think that adding a SAH home guy is going to fundamentally change the Oilers team structure or ability to defend as a team. How do you think that Luke Schenn would look on the Oilers? 15 of the 16 teams which make the play-off's end up disappointed. It would be a "big balls" type move, because it's hard to defend if the Oilers fail and you don't follow the conventional wisdom like "You win with defense". While that is true, I just don't think that the Oilers can change the way they play with 25 games to go, and they're better off trying to outscore their mistakes. YMMV.

EDIT: And for those saying the Oilers should concentrate on defense (which I agree with in principle) - that is pretty damn obvious. I would ask that if it's more likely that the coaching staff hasn't tried that, or if the current roster just hasn't been able to make that work? And if the current roster hasn't been able to make it work, does upgrading Kulak to Schenn (or the equivalent) really move the needle?

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Of course they want to trade Karlsson. They're going through a rebuild and Grier is trying to accommodate players that would like to compete like he did for Burns. That doesn't mean you bend the knee to the first team that comes calling. Every contender has the flexibility in the offseason to open up 10 mil in cap if they so choose for the purposes of trading for Erik Karlsson. It really isn't that hard considering the Sharks' willingness to retain and take back cap. Seattle, for instance, has roughly 19 mil in cap space without talking about who they'd send the other way. Ottawa has 16 mil if they feel like they can mend fences with Karlsson and compete. Pretty sure Tampa has about 9 mil after Seabrook goes on LTIR. Dallas and Vegas are almost always in the mix for elite talent. There's always cap moving around in the offseason for the purposes of picking up other players. It's not at all difficult to find the cap dollars here if someone's willing to pay the price.

Also, Karlsson hasn't disappeared and won't disappear. He may get hurt from time to time but when he's in the lineup, he's very effective regardless of who is on the ice with him. The reality is that Edmonton has the opportunity to get one of the best players right now to play with two of the best players in the league right now. They can get the Sharks to retain 40% if they pay the appropriate price. Asking a team to retain 4.6 mil for four years and change isn't going to come cheap when the player is arguably the best player at his position right now. For that kind of retention, it's three first round picks alone before you even get to the player themselves and the dumps you're still sending the other way anyway. You're not going to get Karlsson out of San Jose just because you're the only serious suitor now when it's pretty well established that there will be other suitors in the offseason. Make it worth Grier's while if you want him now otherwise you will wait just like everyone else is waiting.

The team with the pressure to make this move now is Edmonton because they're competing now. The Sharks will be losing one way or the other just fine whether the deal happens or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad