Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Edmonton want the Sharks to retain nearly 45%?!

$6,5m against the cap for the next 4 seasons. If Karlsson was a $6.5m cap defenseman, every team in the league would want him. He's not Neal Pionk nor Adam Pelech.

According to the analytics guys over at a prominent subscription site, he's playing at an expected value of $9.5m per. Retaining 20% is all the Sharks should accept and at that point, the cost should be whatever the prevailing rate for a Norris Trophy-level future HOF Dman is right now. Cups aren't won with paper - this guy is a phenomenal hockey player.

I'm not averse to trading Karlsson as this team won't be competing and the guy deserves a shot at a Cup. But we can't afford to gift another team for the privilege...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizen

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Edmonton want the Sharks to retain nearly 45%?!

$6,5m against the cap for the next 4 seasons. If Karlsson was a $6.5m cap defenseman, every team in the league would want him. He's not Neal Pionk nor Adam Pelech.

According to the analytics guys over at a prominent subscription site, he's playing at an expected value of $9.5m per. Retaining 20% is all the Sharks should accept and at that point, the cost should be whatever the prevailing rate for a Norris Trophy-level future HOF Dman is right now. Cups aren't won with paper - this guy is a phenomenal hockey player.

I'm not averse to trading Karlsson as this team won't be competing and the guy deserves a shot at a Cup. But we can't afford to gift another team for the privilege...

Then keep him. He won’t do anything positive for the sharks who are going into a rebuild and no one else is in position to afford him. Wait 2 years maybe he’ll keep this up and he’ll be worth trading or maybe he’ll go back to what he was a year ago and you’re stuck again.

End of the day they have one trading partner so get assets into your rebuild now or wait.

Reactions: Ragdoll

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Both klingberg and Ghost are the exact opposite of what the Oilers need.
I don't understand why anyone would want either of those poor man's Phil Housleys for the playoffs, unless they desperately need a powerplay QB due to injury or something.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Of course the money didn’t work.

This isn’t Monopoly money in terms of a high AAV and low salary remaining trying with a 3rd team retention to lower the AAV.

He’s owed $39 million after this season
With $14 mill in SB’s
Which are back loaded

Hell his base salary is 8 figures for the next two years

Even a 3rd party in this trade is paying a fortune and I doubt the return is there in terms of picks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Karlsson has said he would waive his NMC for Edmonton, but right now SJ is only willing to retain 20%

need a 3rd team
2 problems

To make things work in Edmonton. They can only take 60 to 65% of his contract. He is signed for 4 more years . Oilers will need to add a lot of cheddar to get teams to do that.

Oilers have Barrie and he is just like Ghost and Kling.

Oilers are in cap hell. For every buck in they need to send a buck out

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
From the Sharks side, this never really seemed like it could work. Too many cap gynamstics. And while Holland doesnt have the best record for making smart trades, this was always a bad idea especially given there are a few PMDs available for less.

Maybe something can work in the offseason

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ahahah the Oilers want $5m retained? No way in hell they get a Norris d-man for $6m cap hit long term without giving up every little piece of value in the their prospect pool. And even then, not much enticing there.
I don't really think thats the case. Retaining 2.3M of 11.5M leaves 9.2M left and with Karlsson last few years of play there too much risk. There a reason no other team is involved. I think somewhere in between is the sweet spot. 3.5M bring his contract down to 8M still has lots of risks. San Jose gets a few 1st and prospects to start their rebuild. Karlsson isn't helping the Sharks and if you are the owner do you prefer to pay out 46M over the next 4 years or 14 million.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I wonder if the Oilers were ever serious about this. It was always going to be Ghost or Klingberg but Holland wanted it to look like he tried for an actual top pairing D

This could very well be accurate.

When the Wings were still trying to win, there were many deadlines where he would say these two things.....

1) We kicked the tires on a few guys

and

2) We tried to make moves, but the prices were just too high

To be followed by acquiring a less sexy piece that no one besides maybe him, was excited about and generally didn't do well.

I think he is really done with regards to accessing what a team needs as Karlsson never really made sense when the Oilers have other issues that need fixing.

Ahahah the Oilers want $5m retained? No way in hell they get a Norris d-man for $6m cap hit long term without giving up every little piece of value in the their prospect pool. And even then, not much enticing there.

You realize he could get hurt at any moment and is still making a boatload of money in tight cap times? Any trade sees the Sharks having to retain much more than the 20% they want to, as virtually none of the contenders have anything close to enough space for even half his cap hit, and none of the teams with space would trade for him as most are rebuilding teams.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Karlsson has said he would waive his NMC for Edmonton, but right now SJ is only willing to retain 20%

need a 3rd team
No random team is going to retain 3 million for 5 years for a player not on their team 💀

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
From the Sharks side, this never really seemed like it could work. Too many cap gynamstics. And while Holland doesnt have the best record for making smart trades, this was always a bad idea especially given there are a few PMDs available for less.

Maybe something can work in the offseason

I’m not sure anything is more likely to happen in the offseason. Karlsson, with or without a Norris, won’t be quite as shiny then to any team who might want him. Much of his appeal comes from his lightning-in-a-bottle season, and I’m sure teams realize that the combination of his age and injury history, that that contract can south quick. It’s definitely a risk for the Sharks to hold on to him and for other teams to miss out this season.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Probably won’t see Karlsson moved until some of the bigger fish like Schenn are off the table.
Dominoes.
Schenn is not a bigger fish he is a bottom 4 depth dman that get moved every deadline for a 2nd or a 3rd he is not blocking crap.
Karlsson is the whale of this deadline which will block other defense moves while they determine how to slice up the retention needed to get him to move. Then it is Gavrikov. Then there are the Parayko rumours, etc...

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016

Well if Edmundson is worth a 1st!... Karlsson is untouchable.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Is it just me or is this an odd year for RHD? Especially offensive ones.

Normally it's the premium position, but this year it seems like there's good supply and only few buyers.

As for here, I think Klingberg is a better target for Edmonton. It seems clear that Holland wants an upgrade on Barrie and Bouchard, someone with a bit more "dynamic" to their game. Karlsson is the gold standard, but Klingberg's also up there too, and he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get.

Nurse-Klingberg
Broberg-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

Meh, still not cup caliber, but at least Klingberg is a guy with a history playing on the top pairing minutes.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As for here, I think Klingberg is a better target for Edmonton. It seems clear that Holland wants an upgrade on Barrie and Bouchard, someone with a bit more "dynamic" to their game.

I'm not seeing how Klingberg is an upgrade on Barrie.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Translation - price is too high. Edmonton is hoping rumours about interest in other players scares the Sharks into lowering the price.
to SJ:
Soup
puljujarvi or Yamamamoto-SJ choice
Barrie
2023-1st
Bourgault or Schaefer-SJ choice
2024 or 2025 - 1st conditional on Oilers getting to the stanley cup final in either 23 or 24 or it becomes a 2nd.-SJ choice

to Oilers:
Karlsson 20% retained
Kahkonen

SJ gets a medocre starter but keep the retention palatable. they get a young forward prospect and potentially 2 1st's. Puljujarvi or Yamamoto are the wild card in this as they might actually be players as well, but you can let them walk to save cash. Barrie is a quality offensive d-man they could get assets for at the line.

Its expensive but this is a big piece and getting rid of the Cambell contract makes the conditional pick paletable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ppp
to SJ:
Soup
puljujarvi or Yamamamoto-SJ choice
Barrie
2023-1st
Bourgault or Schaefer-SJ choice
2024 or 2025 - 1st conditional on Oilers getting to the stanley cup final in either 23 or 24 or it becomes a 2nd.-SJ choice

to Oilers:
Karlsson 20% retained
Kahkonen

SJ gets a medocre starter but keep the retention palatable. they get a young forward prospect and potentially 2 1st's. Puljujarvi or Yamamoto are the wild card in this as they might actually be players as well, but you can let them walk to save cash. Barrie is a quality offensive d-man they could get assets for at the line.

Its expensive but this is a big piece and getting rid of the Cambell contract makes the conditional pick paletable.
The only issue with this? I'm not sure if Holland wants to get rid of Campbell's contract. I'd consider it, although I wouldn't be too happy with a duo of Skinner and Kahkonen. Not that I'm satisfied with Skinner and Campbell either, ha ha.

I'm not seeing how Klingberg is an upgrade on Barrie.
He's not. In the past he has been a better puck carrier though. Edmonton is getting caught in the defensive zone an awful lot, and its mostly because our defensemen are having trouble clearing the zone. I'm not sold on Klingberg helping that, but he might be able to move the puck out a bit more effectively than some of our guys are right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad