Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Oilers are 9th and in even strength scoring and 17th in even strength goals against. Oilers aren’t 3rd worst in goals against overall in the league, hell they aren’t even 3rd worst in the Pacific.

If you want to argue a point try getting your facts remotely right first.
You’re right. I stand corrected. I thought I saw they were 30th in GA. My point still stands… they don’t need offense whether it’s 5v5 or not. Do oiler fans not remember giving up an insane amount of goals last playoffs? Yes, they were able to outscore their problems with Mcdrai on an insane run but their Defense was terrible. Dreadful. Not sure why spending the farm for another four years on an aging but offensive dman will fix their issues. Again, EK was considered one of the worst contacts in the NHL just last year… now he’s the savior?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not seeing how Klingberg is an upgrade on Barrie.

Ehh he is better with the puck on his stick at generating offence, especially at evens. Barrie is an outstanding distributor, but doesn't really challenge defences; Though that works well when you're distributing to McDavid and Drai most of the time.

He's not. In the past he has been a better puck carrier though. Edmonton is getting caught in the defensive zone an awful lot, and its mostly because our defensemen are having trouble clearing the zone. I'm not sold on Klingberg helping that, but he might be able to move the puck out a bit more effectively than some of our guys are right now.

Basically this. That, and his ability to walk and attack from the offensive blueline is most likely why Holland has been interested in him. It's an element that the Oilers lack, and becomes evident whenever McDrai have an off game: the defence struggles to create. Imo he's a guy you can staple Nurse, and it gives you a passable top pairing that generates more than it gives up (similar to 2021 with Nurse and Barrie).

If you can get a deal where you find a way to swap him and Barrie without giving up too much, I'd be all over it. Plus if you can get him to sign on the cheap due to his poor year, then I'd even be okay with moving Bouchard to get value elsewhere.

The way I see it.

You clear Barrie's contract for next year, leaving you a couple options:

1) You re-sign Klingberg at a team friendly caphit. Bouchard is either kept as good 2nd option or dealt for big return. You now have your go-to OFD locked up on a good contract.

If Klingberg can't be re-signed...

2) You re-sign Bouchard on a value/bridge deal. Without top PP time, he wouldn't be in a spot to get a big payday and will sign a team friendly contract (most likely a bridge deal). You hope he takes the a step forward next season, and becomes a key piece during the last years of McDrai's deals.

3) If you're not feeling confident about Bouch, then you can target Karlsson proper. Plus you'll have already moved Barrie's 4.5mil out of the way, so that'll be one less (major) roadblock in the way.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Holland needs that first rounder so in 3 years he can see what he's got in another handsome blonde bust

I think this has more to do with the fact that EK is still making almost a billion dollars for four more seasons and that this season he will likely have more points than in the last three seasons combined.

Trading for EK at 100%, or even 75%, is likely going to be a disaster, but hey yea, let's blame the GM for not being willing to give away first-rounders an potentially shoot themselves in the foot in the process.

At 8 mils/year, I think the Oilers should not take him even for free, let alone sell the farm for him.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
i wouldn’t buy into all this speculation. It’s all trade negotiation tactics. March 3 is the moment of truth

Holland is a wuss when it comes to big trades so I doubt it happens

Reactions: Macheteops

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Karlsson might be an injury or two away from turning into a Klefbom situation. Let's go after Josi.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oilers looking for an offensive guy in the back end. I think this is a good play for the oilers. Too bad oel not willing to waive to Edmonton.

• Haha
Reactions: La Bamba

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Ducks can and likely will retain given its expiring and they will be seeking a 1st.
Uh I mean they can seek all they want but I think it'd be tough to find takers to give away a first for him at full retention. This may have been the plan when he was signed but he's been pretty shit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
People saying they shouldn't spend too much getting EK....this is an organization that gave Nurse an 8 year / $74,000,000 contract.

Do whatever you can to land EK.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers looking for an offensive guy in the back end. I think this is a good play for the oilers. Too bad oel not willing to waive to Edmonton.
Yeah, it's a shame. We could've taken Vancouver's two prospects as incentive to take that albatross of a contract.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If SJ wants 20% and EDM wants 40%, I get the sense they'll settle on 30% as the TDL approaches. The question now is probably just down to price. EDM has to know this is going to cost a 1st + a decent prospect. I wonder if there is an addon they are trying to slip in under the radar? Possibly trying to take back one of the NHL-ready-ish LD's SJ has in the AHL without raising the price? Maybe trying to convince SJ take back Campbell in a bad contract swap?

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
If SJ wants 20% and EDM wants 40%, I get the sense they'll settle on 30% as the TDL approaches. The question now is probably just down to price. EDM has to know this is going to cost a 1st + a decent prospect. I wonder if there is an addon they are trying to slip in under the radar? Possibly trying to take back one of the NHL-ready-ish LD's SJ has in the AHL without raising the price? Maybe trying to convince SJ take back Campbell in a bad contract swap?
Like it or not Campbell will more than likely be an oiler for at least 3 years. As bad as he has been you don't trade a UFA who just signed with your roster the next year, that's just bad faith and a surefire way to make the Oilers (who already struggle to sign high quality UFA's) a worse destination in the future.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There is no settling for Oilers because they are not choosing to ask for retention..they are forced.

Oilers have Shore playing at 0 caphit otherwise they can't even afford to keep up league minimum players like Desharnais and Holloway on the big club.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Like it or not Campbell will more than likely be an oiler for at least 3 years. As bad as he has been you don't trade a UFA who just signed with your roster the next year, that's just bad faith and a surefire way to make the Oilers (who already struggle to sign high quality UFA's) a worse destination in the future.
I know this is a popular phrase to toss around here because it requires 0 IQ from the poster but Edmonton has been pretty good signing quality (at the time) UFAs for a while now

Reactions: TFHockey

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Edmonton was never a serious EK65 landing spot to begin with.

They're never gonna win the Cup with half the cap tied up on their top line.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why would the Oilers not trade their pick? What on earth are they doing? Their firsts are never any good (outside the obvious ones at the tippy top), and they always just draft a guy, sign through RFA years and he just kinda sucks. They need to maximize McDavid's window NOW

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Why would the Oilers not trade their pick? What on earth are they doing? Their firsts are never any good (outside the obvious ones at the tippy top), and they always just draft a guy, sign through RFA years and he just kinda sucks. They need to maximize McDavid's window NOW
To clarify….Holland won’t trade 1st rounders for rentals. The EK trade hasn’t stalled because of draft picks - it’s the retention and add on contracts that haven’t been sorted ( at least according to the best local info).

Reactions: LTIR

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Edmonton should be looking at someone to complement Nurse. We need someone who we can rely on to play solid D. Nurse can’t be trusted to do that. Maybe if he’s not expected to do it all he’s settles in and becomes a 7/8 million dollar Dman. (Not 9.25 ever, that contract should be in the agent HOF). Is that Karlson? Who knows. All I know is that it’s sure as shit not Cody Ceci, Evan Bouchard, Brett Kulak, Duncan Keith’s long hair skeleton of his former self, or Shayne Fking Gothescantspellhisnamebear.

Reactions: Macheteops

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
I know this is a popular phrase to toss around here because it requires 0 IQ from the poster but Edmonton has been pretty good signing quality (at the time) UFAs for a while now
I'm not saying your wrong but there is 0 reason to change that reputation and go back to the way it was before hand. Thanks for the back handed insult though really shows your class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad