Rumor: Oilers may be out (for now) on Karlsson due to $$. Looking at Klingberg & Gostisbehere as alternatives

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Makes sense on both sides. Hard to justify to the SJ market not only trading a guy like EK having a historical season but also retaining money just so someone would take him. At the same time, Last season at this point the Sharks would have basically given him away.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I kinda doubt the Canucks would be willing to retain on the Karlsson contract due to the length. They would definitely do it for any expiring contracts like the Wild did.

Reactions: Oryxo

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A third party retention would be pretty expensive. It's 4 years. Would that be like two 1sts for like 1 million retention?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Makes sense on both sides. Hard to justify to the SJ market not only trading a guy like EK having a historical season but also retaining money just so someone would take him. At the same time, Last season at this point the Sharks would have basically given him away.
That's why.

Reactions: Conbon

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

- Sharks willing to retain $2m-$3m on the deal. Oilers want $5m retained.

- Oilers looked at Gavrikov but was too expensive and dont want to give up their 1st for a rental.

- Oilers looking at Gostisbehere and Klimgberg as Alternatives.

Might want to edit title…big difference between Heiskanen and Klingberg haha

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
lmao at this tweet, it makes it seem Heiskanen and Gostisbehere are even close to the same tier

Oh ok, Klingberg not Heiskanen. The two d-men who don't play on the same team anymore. Even then Klingberg's contract is an albatross. Ducks need to retain.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
4 more years after this one? Canucks shouldn't be looking at retaining here, if the plan is to be competitive in 2 years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The title says Heiskanen. The post says Klingberg?

Bond

May 10, 2012
A third party retention would be pretty expensive. It's 4 years. Would that be like two 1sts for like 1 million retention?
It’d be crazy expensive. Not only the cash and cap hit but would limit their ability to retain for the next four years

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Might want to edit title…big difference between Heiskanen and Klingberg haha
The error in the title had me flipping upside down.
The title says Heiskanen. The post says Klingberg?
lmao at this tweet, it makes it seem Heiskanen and Gostisbehere are even close to the same tier

Oh ok, Klingberg not Heiskanen. The two d-men who don't play on the same team anymore. Even then Klingberg's contract is an albatross.
Apologies. My bad. Fixed title.

Was reading Heiskanen article as I was posting this.

Forgive me:laugh:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I kinda doubt the Canucks would be willing to retain on the Karlsson contract due to the length. They would definitely do it for any expiring contracts like the Wild did.

Haven't you guys learned to live with deadcap with the whole Luongo thing? With no deadcap left (if we don't count Horvat this season) you can probably live with it if the return is good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad