Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose the game, lose a body, nothing has changed

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
So is Chiarelli going to trade anybody or are we just going to keep losing and remain in the basement?

Too many players on this team have that 'losing mentality' considering all the god awful seasons we've had in the past forever years.

We need to mix things up. Plain and simple.

But whatever. Lets just keep this same losing team together and remain the joke of the league. Who needs to win anyways? Clearly not us. We don't have enough high draft picks lets add another one into the mix. It's worked in the past for us. ****.

Yes, I've lost my patience. It only took nine years.

Last edited:

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I never made that argument before. This season, with McDavid, Klefbom, Draisaitl, etc.. It's a much different team. The team isn't great but it's much better than the standings would otherwise indicate. There's a reason the correlation between team performance and lack of injuries is so strong.

No other team in the league has come close to what the Oilers have endured this season.

This team is exactly what the standings indicate...has been for 10 years. A few good forwards who show up sporadically, get injured. A defence core made up of young guys who shouldn't be in the NHL along with veterans playing above their talent level. Injuries don't change the dynamics. Only the names change.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The thing is we have too many passengers. As much as we don't like it, players, even your top ones, are inevitably going to have a night off.

This team rides on a select few a bit much. For a good part of the season, it was pretty much Drai-Hall for offense and that's it.

The amusing thing is, I don't think even having Nuge tonight would've made a difference. We'd probably end up with the same score anyway.

My comments on the game have been positive so far but i'll let loose on one player..

pouliot. Passenger extraordinare. Almost always has been throughout his career. I received so much flak on this board for pointing out this was not the right player addition, not the right use of a high priced contract, not the right veteran.

Lets analyze his play tonight;

Absent mindedly deflects puck in, actually moves his shaft to achieve the deflection. I mean WTF? Every player since peewee is taught not to try to block a shot with your stick in front of the net. You can try that at the point but NEVER around your net. pouliot does it, goal.

FF to 3rd period. A very rare moment of passion from pouliot. gets slammed into the boards, looks for a number, and heat seeks a check to even the score. But not a team score, his own agenda. Just getting back. he didn't even care if that charge netted the Oil a penalty.

This selfish **** can gtfo out of here. His attitude and me first play is not helping this team. One of the worst vets on the team as far as attitude. With a continued penchant for taking bad penalties that will never leave him.

Coaches keep trying to find a player here due to the immense skill, power, and potential the player could bring, which he never does. no player on this team infuriates me more.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I'm calling it now, Hall collides with John Scott at the ASG and and gets seriously injured.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So is Chiarelli going to trade anybody or are we just going to keep losing and remain in the basement?

Too many players on this team have that 'losing mentality' considering all the god awful seasons we've had in the past forever years.

We need to mix things up. Plain and simple.

But whatever. Lets just keep this same losing team together and remain the joke of the league. Who needs to win anyways? Clearly not us. We don't have enough high draft picks lets add another one into the mix. It's worked in the past for us. ****.

Or maybe he realizes with the amount of injuries we've had that there's no point to make a deal just to make one. I feel pretty confident that there will be deals, its just going to take time because the D we need aren't going to be available for our forwards in the middle of the season. I expect a lot of change this off-season between free agency and trades. You can hate on Chia all you want, but he didn't make this mess, he's the one trying to figure out how to clean it up. He's already brought in a good goalie and the best D that was on the free agent market, and if not for butt hurt Sweeney and Neely he would have brought in another top 4 D.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
My comments on the game have been positive so far but i'll let loose on one player..

pouliot. Passenger extraordinare. Almost always has been throughout his career. I received so much flak on this board for pointing out this was not the right player addition, not the right use of a high priced contract, not the right veteran.

Absent mindedly deflects puck in, actually moves his shaft to achieve the deflection. I mean WTF? Every player since peewee is taught not to try to block a shot with your stick in front of the net. You can try that at the point but NEVER around your net. pouliot does it, goal.

FF to 3rd period. A very rare moment of passion from pouliot. gets slammed into the boards, looks for a number, and heat seeks a check to even the score. But not a team score, his own agenda. Just getting back. he didn't even care if that charge netted the Oil a penalty.

This selfish **** can gtfo out of here. His attitude and me first play is not helping this team. One of the worst vets on the team as far as attitude. With a continued penchant for taking bad penalties that will never leave him.

Coaches keep trying to find a player here due to the immense skill, power, and potential the player could bring, which he never does. no player on this team infuriates me more.

To the bolded I would include RNH, Eberle, Purcell, Yak, and even Hall on given nights. They all fail to show up on a regular basis.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Good points. I am a Pouliot fan, but I do agree that he is pretty inconsistent with the effort he brings. He has great skating, size, a good shot, and can hit like a truck. If he wanted to he could be a hell of a power forward. I'd say that he's a guy who's expendable in the future, but not until we add a similar player who does it consistently. Hell, if the Oilers somehow managed to land Lucic this off-season, then Chia be my guest and trade Pouliot, Eberle, or even Nuge if it can net you back the defenders this team needs.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wonder how Dallas would have faired without Seguin, Spezza, and Klingberg in the lineup.

Everyone always **** talks the Oilers in the pre-games proclaiming them losers before the puck even drops. Many predictions have them being destroyed. Others even find comfort in proclaiming they have better things to do instead of watching the game, which seems to be the cool trend around here these days. Then, with a decimated squad, critic the team as if it should be preforming as a healthy group.

Anyone that calls the injuries an excuse is delusional in my books. This team is performing pretty much how it should be considering the circumstances, if not better.

:handclap:

Even without the critical long term injuries, it's not like you can just flip a magic switch and turn the winning on, or just call up another GM and say hey trade me an impact roster player mid season k? Cool, thanks.

Team is showing improvement regardless of what the cry babies think, Chia will make his moves this off season when he's got more options/cap space and team will progress even more.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
To the bolded I would include RNH, Eberle, Purcell, Yak, and even Hall on given nights. They all fail to show up on a regular basis.

There are very few players in this league who show up on every night, probably actually zero. Hall is not even comparable to any of them, regardless of whether he has a few off-nights or streak of off nights here and there. He more than makes up for it.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
There are very few players in this league who show up on every night, probably actually zero. Hall is not even comparable to any of them, regardless of whether he has a few off-nights or streak of off nights here and there. He more than makes up for it.

We are vying for another first overall pick. Our "core" has done nothing to prevent that. You have seen Chicago win 12 in a row. They show up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We are vying for another first overall pick. Our "core" has done nothing to prevent that. You have seen Chicago win 12 in a row. They show up.

Yeah Taylor Hall can do it all by himself.

I have no problem with you saying the core in general is not a good fit, but to put the blame on Hall is just beyond incomprehensible.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The losses are just like whatever now. They don't hurt, they don't feel like anything. It's like breathing, it's so natural.

I feel for fans who are so upset by their respective team losing this year and are not used to it. Bunch of rookies. :laugh:

You mean that "core" who hasn't been completely healthy all season? Not one game yet. When it has been close, someone else goes down. :laugh:

Also it's a team sport. Still need contributions from everyone else or you won't go anywhere.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
A few of you came into this with some pretty high expectations,
I mean our lineup is fairly decimated and the stars are one of the power houses this year

We lost 3-2 and nailed the post about 3 times, it's not that bad.

Eh, we're far past the point of being okay with moral victories. No loss is okay at this point. When we become a respectable team, I'll be okay with a close loss now and then.

Longest playoff drought record incoming. This team is still excruciating to watch. Just bonehead play, after bonehead play. Only a few Oilers didn't leave this game with **** stained shorts. And not to rag on one guy, but Teddy Purcell was a ****ing scrub tonight. He got set up with a bunch of plays, and ****ed every one of them up. Also want to mention Benoit Pouliot. Like I've said many times before, he is so infuriating to me, because any time he throws a hit, he ****ing crushes guys. Unfortunately he hardly ever hits anyone. Only if he gets hit, or gets mad does he throw the body. Play pissed off more, and you will find a lot more space out there for yourself Benoit.

Whatever though, this team is circling the bowl as usual. Tear this team apart, Chiarelli.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

He seems to have trouble staying onside as well. Good old Pouliot though ... guy seems to live a charmed life on this board.
Yak, Schultz, Eberle, RNH ... we roast these guys all night, every night. Barely hear a peep about Pouliot.

I wouldn't be quite as harsh as you were in your evaluation above, but this guy is precisely what people were thinking of when they coined the term floater. Many, not all, posters don't take that into their consideration when evaluating some of the weaker games turned in by the second line this season. Its like RNH and Eberle playing by themselves at times out there. Until Pouliot goes offside again.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Yeah Taylor Hall can do it all by himself.

I have no problem with you saying the core in general is not a good fit, but to put the blame on Hall is just beyond incomprehensible.

Yep, that's what I said...:help:. Thank goodness the coach understands what I meant when he talked to Hall other game and put him at the end of the bench.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm surprised so many people were happy with this game. Sure, we're injured like crazy, but we had our share of stupid plays.

I'm calling it now, Hall collides with John Scott at the ASG and and gets seriously injured.

Guaranteed Hall is stuck on a line with Scott. Pretty lame that Scott is still Captain of the Pacific division.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
:handclap:

Even without the critical long term injuries, it's not like you can just flip a magic switch and turn the winning on, or just call up another GM and say hey trade me an impact roster player mid season k? Cool, thanks.

Team is showing improvement regardless of what the cry babies think, Chia will make his moves this off season when he's got more options/cap space and team will progress even more.

You'd think after a decade of losing, and being a whisper away from 30th again this year, people would drop this condescension for once. People are sick of losing, no matter the takeaway. Can you blame them? Jesus.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, that's what I said...:help:. Thank goodness the coach understands what I meant when he talked to Hall other game and put him at the end of the bench.

Well you included him in the core, and then went on to say that the core was the issue. So yes you did say Hall was the problem.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I feel for fans who are so upset by their respective team losing this year and are not used to it. Bunch of rookies. :laugh:

You mean that "core" who hasn't been completely healthy all season? Not one game yet. When it has been close, someone else goes down. :laugh:

Also it's a team sport. Still need contributions from everyone else or you won't go anywhere.

See you at the draft party...again. The "core" has been ripped to shreds on this board and rightfully so. They have yet to show they can lift this team out of a lottery pick.

You want to congratulate them on their efforts...good for you. We will be in the bottom five again.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Jonathan Toews is having the worst season of his career. He's playing well now, but for the first couple months of the season he was practically a no show. That team was being carried entirely off the backs of an otherworldly performance from Patrick Kane. Sidney Crosby, who is undoubtedly the best player on the planet started the season with points in only 2 of his first 10 games.

No player is immune to the ebs and flows of a season. Not even the very best in the world.

To the game... I thought it was a close game. The Oilers bare down on some of their chances in the first period and it's a different game.

This wasn't a case of a goalie standing on his head and keeping a game close. The Oilers had plenty of chances including what... three crossbars?

Just think about how different the game might have been if Pakarainen bares down 30 seconds in and buries that gimme that he had in front of the net. Or Purcell puts away that slick pass from Hall a few minutes later on that 2 on 1?

I mean... none of those things happened. So it doesn't matter. They lost. One step closer to season being definitively over (if it isn't already. 8 points out is almost insurmountable. 8 points out when the teams ahead of the Oilers have ~4 games in hand... yeah, not gonna happen).

It was a competitive game though from start to finish imo.

Anyway. For those who want to blame the "core" ....

This team had Eric Gryba out there in the final minute to try and tie the game up. Consider that. People love to point fingers at players like Hall, Eberle, Nuge etc. But this team will never go anywhere when they consistently ice the worst defensive group in the league. They had the worst group of d-men going into the season. This was pointed out by lots of people. Being a crap team should be no surprise to people when at the best of times we've got 2 d-men who can make any sort of consistent pass. How pathetic is it that Davidson, a player who would be at best a #6/7 on any even semi-decent team in the league, is a devastating loss for this team?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

So what? He then encouraged Hall in the beginning of the 3rd period. A coach is being a coach with his player. Big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad