Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose the game, lose a body, nothing has changed

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Talbot was the reason in the third that this was a one goal game.

Pretty much. Normally he stops the goal Spezza scored, but that was a god awful turnover by Schultz. The Benn goal was a rocket with traffic in front, and the 3rd goal was an idiotic play by Pouliot. Fault him for 1 if you want, but Nilsson is usually at fault for at least 2 if not more over his pathetic ECHL quality goaltending stretch.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Just getting very sad now. Back to the same old thing, need centers and defense because the depth still isn't good enough. Too small, players that don't understand the concept of a team game even after 5 years, and too many injuries.

I already decided the season was a wash as soon as Klefbom got injuried, and if Davidson is now hurt as well, is this team going to have to be forced to call up Nikki again? Yikes.

I think it's time that other people should be prepared that one if not 2 of the super kids will be gone before the start of next season. It just isn't working with the core we have even after 5 years.

They have heart, at least this year, but it is just not enough.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I agree he hasn't played well since Talbot turned it up but it seems like some disregard Talbot's poor play, which isn't a good thing when he's the one the team signed for 3 more years.

Replay the third period...Talbot kept the game close.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A few of you came into this with some pretty high expectations,
I mean our lineup is fairly decimated and the stars are one of the power houses this year

We lost 3-2 and nailed the post about 3 times, it's not that bad.

Positives;

Very good performance by Oilers first line.

Very good performance by Letestu, Pak, Kassian who are continuing to impress.

Reasonable job by D to suck it up playing with only 5 D and this being the 3rd game in 4 nights and with the Oil having travelled tons over the last week.

Absolute respect that the Oilers laid out every bit of energy they had tonight. Loved the intensity. This was a tough tough game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I guess we have a different understanding of the word great.

Including the non goal the team in front of him exposed him and he let in a few that were saveable, just like Nilsson in Tampa.
Which goals were saveable tonight? First goal was another amateur giveaway in the slot and the third goal was going right into his glove until Pouliot forgot which net he was standing in front of. Only debateable one was Benn's and that was just a nice shot imo.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Can't help but think that in all these one goal losses, the PP could have gotten us at least a point out of some of them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree he hasn't played well since Talbot turned it up but it seems like some disregard Talbot's poor play which isn't a good thing when he's the one the team signed for 3 more years.

I just have no idea how you can be commenting on Talbots poor play when he has been playing simply fantastic hockey for nearly 2mths. Sorry but that speaks to some weird agenda. Talbot is playing a lot of games here and more than he's used to as he hasn't been a number 1 before. The team would be playing Nillson some more games if they could.
Talbots stats since early December are insanely good.

Going into this game Talbots stats are basically identical to Niemi. Not bad company for a young goalie learning.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This was a hard fought game by an undermanned team against a very strong Dallas team. Nothing to be ashamed of here. Quit yer *****in.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Can't help but think that in all these one goal losses, the PP could have gotten us at least a point out of some of them.

The Dallas broadcast was amazed at how cohesive the PP looked tonight. They actually were surprised at the puck movement. Take it for what it's worth.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Just getting very sad now. Back to the same old thing, need centers and defense because the depth still isn't good enough. Too small, players that don't understand the concept of a team game even after 5 years, and too many injuries.

I already decided the season was a wash as soon as Klefbom got injuried, and if Davidson is now hurt as well, is this team going to have to be forced to call up Nikki again? Yikes.

I think it's time that other people should be prepared that one if not 2 of the super kids will be gone before the start of next season. It just isn't working with the core we have even after 5 years.

They have heart, at least this year, but it is just not enough.

how would you ever have enough depth to replace two top 6 centres, your #1 defender, your #4 defender, and your 2 best bottom 6 wingers/PKers?

On top of that since they've been injured in multiple positions since the start of the season....they've already tapped the well for injury callups.....probably finished that in early December.

A "good team" wouldn't be able to handle that much injury....a "good team" would trap their way into probably a little under 500 hockey while they scramble to patch holes somehow.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Leafs beat the Stars twice. The Jackets beat them a week or two ago. They're not invincible.

I knew there'd be posts like this.

Look, every team, no matter how good, has up, and down moments. The stars had a string there where they were playing uncharacteristically poor hockey. This happens to all teams.
Against LA the Stars were brilliant in a game that was one of the best played games of the season. So I knew the Stars were back and going to be real tough in this one.

We beat the Stars as well. Why always so negative?

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Talbot sv% .914 against a team that shoots at a rate of 10.22%. So he actually played significantly better than the average goalie has against the Stars this year. He wasn't spectacular but calling him out for this game is silly.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It was actually a great effort if you consider the team we iced. Playing on the road against at top team. I just don't understand our injury luck. Like I really don't get it.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Season is over. Why is our team always at the highest end for man games lost? Every damn year. We are way too soft and weak.

Do you subscribe to the theories about the Oiler's training regiment and its correlation with our team's injury problems? I'd like to know your opinion.

I personally find it hard to believe as all the players train independently throughout the summer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Which goals were saveable tonight? First goal was another amateur giveaway in the slot and the third goal was going right into his glove until Pouliot forgot which net he was standing in front of. Only debateable one was Benn's and that was just a nice shot imo.

Surprising comment. Benn got all of it from what is gimme range for him. Not many goalies stop that shot. Benn has just a fantastic release and goalies don't even know he's shot the puck and the goal light is flashing. For my $ possibly the best shot in the league. Benn is right on top of his game and will score 40 goals this season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I knew there'd be posts like this.

Look, every team, no matter how good, has up, and down moments. The stars had a string there where they were playing uncharacteristically poor hockey. This happens to all teams.
Against LA the Stars were brilliant in a game that was one of the best played games of the season. So I knew the Stars were back and going to be real tough in this one.

We beat the Stars as well. Why always so negative?

That game we won because of our goaltending. :laugh: Outshot 43-24.

We've come to a point where "close losses" are the best we can hope for.

And I don't know why I'm so negative. Maybe it's because we're 1 point out of 29th place with no games in hand on any team surrounding us?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Dallas broadcast was amazed at how cohesive the PP looked tonight. They actually were surprised at the puck movement. Take it for what it's worth.

I'd agree our power play actually looked really good (I missed the one in the third though cause I had to go out for 5 mins). They were moving the puck and moving their feet and finding lanes to shoot in with some traffic in front. They also hit like 2 or 3 posts on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad