Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose the game, lose a body, nothing has changed

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Just getting very sad now. Back to the same old thing, need centers and defense because the depth still isn't good enough. Too small, players that don't understand the concept of a team game even after 5 years, and too many injuries.

I already decided the season was a wash as soon as Klefbom got injuried, and if Davidson is now hurt as well, is this team going to have to be forced to call up Nikki again? Yikes.

I think it's time that other people should be prepared that one if not 2 of the super kids will be gone before the start of next season. It just isn't working with the core we have even after 5 years.

They have heart, at least this year, but it is just not enough.

I don't think I am the only one that is not only prepared, but SALIVATING over it. Change this core.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That game we won because of our goaltending. :laugh: Outshot 43-24.

We've come to a point where "close losses" are the best we can hope for.

And I don't know why I'm so negative. Maybe it's because we're 1 point out of 29th place with no games in hand on any team surrounding us?

The Oilers played very well tonight, played decent on this whole road trip.

Look, If we're playing weak teams and giving out half ass efforts I'm the first person here to lay into the team for that.

But think of this roadtrip. Florida, Tampa, Dallas. All in 4 nights. Just before this trip the Oil played a game all the way in SJ. They been getting frequent flyer miles.
An East coast team doesn't have this kind of travel ever in a season.

Team is short staffed, tired, and they absolutely refused to go down. They kept coming.

kudos

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think I am the only one that is not only prepared, but SALIVATING over it. Change this core.

I have no issues with it, as long as its from Eberle, Nuge, or Yak (even though I think it would be dumb to trade Yak with what his trade values at). If its Hall moving, it better be for a top 20 Dman in the NHL.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd agree our power play actually looked really good (I missed the one in the third though cause I had to go out for 5 mins). They were moving the puck and moving their feet and finding lanes to shoot in with some traffic in front. They also hit like 2 or 3 posts on it.

better late than never.....i guess....still if there is one glaring thing to scapegoat it would be the powerplay. They needed to be good on the powerplay.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Dallas broadcast was amazed at how cohesive the PP looked tonight. They actually were surprised at the puck movement. Take it for what it's worth.

Forgot to mention this as one of the positives. The PP was very good tonight and generating a lot of chances. It wasn't a passive perimeter set tonight.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers played very well tonight, played decent on this whole road trip.

Look, If we're playing weak teams and giving out half ass efforts I'm the first person here to lay into the team for that.

But think of this roadtrip. Florida, Tampa, Dallas. All in 4 nights. Just before this trip the Oil played a game all the way in SJ. They been getting frequent flyer miles.
An East coast team doesn't have this kind of travel ever in a season.

Team is short staffed, tired, and they absolutely refused to go down. They kept coming.

kudos

We played like **** the first two periods. Turned it up in the third but by that time it was too late. The Oilers are like a teenager who's late for school, only hustling because he slept in too late.

Just another game for the opposition where they were never in danger of losing. Also the last 2 minutes of the game were laughable. Did we even get a chance to score?

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Which goals were saveable tonight? First goal was another amateur giveaway in the slot and the third goal was going right into his glove until Pouliot forgot which net he was standing in front of. Only debateable one was Benn's and that was just a nice shot imo.

I thought the non goal was a good shot that he should have been better positionally, same with the Jokipakka goal. Overall he was solid but then again Nilsson wasn't as bad last game as some made him out to be.

Unfortunately until the defence is better (broken coverage and failure at covering the slot) goaltending isn't going to be great.

RattsSSV

May 4, 2006
I just have no idea how you can be commenting on Talbots poor play when he has been playing simply fantastic hockey for nearly 2mths. Sorry but that speaks to some weird agenda. Talbot is playing a lot of games here and more than he's used to as he hasn't been a number 1 before. The team would be playing Nillson some more games if they could.
Talbots stats since early December are insanely good.

Going into this game Talbots stats are basically identical to Niemi. Not bad company for a young goalie learning.

I'm a fan of Talbot, just worried that a 2 month span isn't enough time to judge & garner his contract.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We played like **** the first two periods. Turned it up in the third but by that time it was too late. The Oilers are like a teenager who's late for school, only hustling because he slept in too late.

Just another game for the opposition where they were never in danger of losing. Also the last 2 minutes of the game were laughable. Did we even get a chance to score?

I disagree, I thought we had a pretty good 1st and easily could have had 2 or 3 goals if that puck wasn't bouncing on the gaping net for Pakarinen, and if Teddy could have you know buried one that most players would have on that Hall pass. The second was pretty bad so I'll give you that.

Draisaitl just barely missed the net from the slot in the last 2 minutes, and we got a few other shots (or blocked attempts at least). Definitely didn't hem them in though.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder how Dallas would have faired without Seguin, Spezza, and Klingberg in the lineup.

Everyone always **** talks the Oilers in the pre-games proclaiming them losers before the puck even drops. Many predictions have them being destroyed. Others even find comfort in proclaiming they have better things to do instead of watching the game, which seems to be the cool trend around here these days. Then, with a decimated squad, critic the team as if it should be preforming as a healthy group.

Anyone that calls the injuries an excuse is delusional in my books. This team is performing pretty much how it should be considering the circumstances, if not better.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder how Dallas would have faired without Seguin, Spezza, and Klingberg in the lineup.

Everyone always **** talks the Oilers in the pre-games proclaiming them losers before the puck even drops. Many predictions have them being destroyed. Others even find comfort in proclaiming they have better things to do instead of watching the game, which seems to be the cool trend around here these days. Then, with a decimated squad, critic the team as if it should be preforming as a healthy group.

Anyone that calls the injuries an excuse is delusional in my books. This team is performing pretty much how it should be considering the circumstances, if not better.

I agree. These threads are almost intolerable at times.

RattsSSV

May 4, 2006

It's damn frustrating. Well said Fitter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

No, we didn't play like ****. We were playing a well coached team with big bodies that when they are playing their game dictate the play. That's the world turning as it should. That we gave a team that is this good, fits tonight on many shifts, and with a depleted lineup, is something to be pleased with, not hang heads.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It's almost as if this is a bad team in the midst of another disappointing and losing season with the only thing to look forward to being the draft lottery. ;)

I just don't find losses of any kind acceptable.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I agree. At the same time though. This team has no killer instinct.....in recent memory.....I suppose we havnt seen them healthy in a while.

The "finding ways to lose" thing is somewhat valid. Valid and frustrating.

They've actually done well dealing with injuries but for that aforementioned flaw.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, we didn't play like ****. We were playing a well coached team with big bodies that when they are playing their game dictate the play. That's the world turning as it should. That we gave a team that is this good, fits tonight on many shifts, and with a depleted lineup, is something to be pleased with, not hang heads.

The bolded is debatable. Eerily reminiscent of the 2010 Capitals.

Dallas had too many scoring chances. Oilers were fortunate the score wasn't worse than it was.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Dallas is once of the healthiest teams in the NHL and have 10 players that hasn't missed a single NHL game this season while the Oilers have only had 3 players play all the games. Add Benn to your list as well.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Nailed it. No other team in the league is close to the Oilers in terms of quality-adjusted man-games lost. It's actually insane how many injuries they've sustained. Any team in the league would have taken a big hit.

If everyone is healthy next season, I think the Oilers make the playoff even if no trades are made.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Nailed it. No other team in the league is close to the Oilers in terms of quality-adjusted man-games lost. It's actually insane how many injuries they've sustained. Any team in the league would have taken a big hit.

If everyone is healthy next season, I think the Oilers make the playoff even if no trades are made.

This has been the argument since 2007...if only we were healthy. Reality is that other teams have injuries - they have the depth to compensate. We don't. This is not a good team. The core is suspect. The defence is horrid. Thankfully we have a goalie that appears to be competent that is signed.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Forgot to mention this as one of the positives. The PP was very good tonight and generating a lot of chances. It wasn't a passive perimeter set tonight.

Plain old shooting instead of always trying to get the perfect shot helps

RattsSSV

May 4, 2006
So who's getting called up if Davidson isn't available?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Not a chance

Even if the team was completely healthy, the defense would still be killing them on a nightly basis. Too many guys that can't pass, can't think the game fast enough, refuse to play physical, and make far too many mistakes on a nightly basis. The forward group has it's problems, but the Oiler's defense has been the organizational Achilles heel for half a decade now, if you don't count the former management/coaching groups that is.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This has been the argument since 2007...if only we were healthy. Reality is that other teams have injuries - they have the depth to compensate. We don't. This is not a good team. The core is suspect. The defence is horrid. Thankfully we have a goalie that appears to be competent that is signed.

I never made that argument before. This season, with McDavid, Klefbom, Draisaitl, etc.. It's a much different team. The team isn't great but it's much better than the standings would otherwise indicate. There's a reason the correlation between team performance and lack of injuries is so strong.

No other team in the league has come close to what the Oilers have endured this season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

The thing is we have too many passengers. As much as we don't like it, players, even your top ones, are inevitably going to have a night off.

This team rides on a select few a bit much. For a good part of the season, it was pretty much Drai-Hall for offense and that's it.

The amusing thing is, I don't think even having Nuge tonight would've made a difference. We'd probably end up with the same score anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad