Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-0

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Team played well tonight. They just couldn't capitalize on their chances. Oh and one more thing.

Shoot. The. Friggin. Puck! We had a few 2 on 1's and were looking pass the entire way. FFS

draisatl is improving IMO, he is definitely better than yakupov was last year. I think it may not be the end of the world if he stays.

He's been very defensively sound which is a rarity for the Oil. Yakupov has really improved as well defensively. He's backchecking hard. Yes sometimes he tries to do too much and has gotten caught, but compared to last year he isn't trying to do it all by himself all the time. And he doesn't look lost out there.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I thought the oilers looked decent tonight. And draisaitl is going to be a total kopitar anyone can see it remeber 18 playing in the nhl is impressive.

such doom and gloom and expectation on 19 and 21 yr old kids give them a break yakupov is still learning english isnt he.

a year of learingg curve resulting in a top 5 draft pick for a barzal or eichel or god formid mcdavid isnt going to hurt. Be patient and youre gonna be fine.

I know u said arcobello was solid but be honest hes on the 1st line. The team needs defensive depth and a real 1 c or rnh to really improve. The rest of the prospects all look dangerous and are all under 22.

Once nurse starts playing next year i see this misery ending

as a lot of you have said this is management and not the players. You need to give a coach time i think eakins will be fine as well. The only glaring problems are center depth and defense.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
this is just depressing reading this. Like I don't even know what to do anymore. Should I just not watch hockey? I'm just exhausted of seeing this team fail time and time again. I want this season to be over please

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't long for Sam Gagner. I long for NHL centermen. Speaking of Sam Gagner though. There's another example of a guy who peaked in his rookie year.

So before people say it's ludicrous, just keep in mind how his rookie year went and where he went from that point forward. Nuge is obviously better, but he seems to be following the same path of non-development.

This is RNH's 4th season, he has been give a hell of a lot more responsibility than Gagner ever had. Apples and oranges.

this is just depressing reading this. Like I don't even know what to do anymore. Should I just not watch hockey? I'm just exhausted of seeing this team fail time and time again. I want this season to be over please

It's getting close to the point of why bother wasting time watching games anymore? We don't score, we get scored on way too easily, we don't initiate physical play and often times get our ***** handed to us in that regard. Soon enough we'll probably make more moves to try and build the team around our coach :shakehead

This is supposed to bring us entertainment, instead it brings us frustration. Just when you thought that last year was the low point of the rebuild it looks like this year is shaping up to be even worse.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Starting with 2 NHL centers and 2 AHLers is not a winning formula. Arcobello belongs in the minors.

I completely agree. The organization needs to be purged entirely.
What are you basing this on because he started his career in the minors therefore he is a minor leaguer for life:laugh: He has been the most consistant Center this season. This post of yours baffles me on pace for 50 points only plus player on team 52% in the dot 2nd in scoring while playing 17 min 8 hits only 1 giveaway and 4 takeaways. :laugh:

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I've been sucked into thinking we've hit rock bottom several times and things can't get worse. Only up from here, no way we finish lower, only five games in etc.

Well... Here we are and things feel worse than ever. Not a single win. Feels like rock bottom. Again. And the saddest part is it can actually get even worse at this rate.

Don't even know how to deal with all the losing anymore. Don't know who to blame, don't know how much good firing anyone will do when any sort of personnel changes like that have set us back or sideways in recent years anyways. Excuses will be recycled, players will lose any trust in the organization.

So lost. So damn disheartened.

Never been worse time to be a fan of this team. Dark times. No light in the distance.

Cruelest joke of all time.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I hope if we do finish dead last we do not get Mcdavid . I as a Oiler fan will be praying another team gets him, because this team does not deserve him.

7773af9770acea44e2c046c6284ec7d1533d53c8d4091919f012c3f1a9d9adc9.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'll say it now.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will never be more than a 55 point center in this league. Never.

He doesn't have it in him.
He could possibly break 55 points, but I've been saying for two seasons now that he looks a lot like David Legwand to me.
No shame in that I suppose, but is it really the kind of player you want to draft first overall?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks fan here. It might be hard to stomach, but before we scored our goal I was terrified that your team would get one past Miller on a scramble and the Sedins would get posts, or off the inside of the pad and out type plays that looked pretty but didn't count on the scoreboard. If you can get defense and goaltending like that and slowly work on the offense I think you can start to steal a few games and get confidence rolling.

If it goes back to offense at any cost your goalies will get hung out to dry and you'll end up with more 6-4 type loses where you score goals but are even further from a win.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I've been sucked into thinking we've hit rock bottom several times and things can't get worse. Only up from here, no way we finish lower, only five games in etc.

Well... Here we are and things feel worse than ever. Not a single win. Feels like rock bottom. Again. And the saddest part is it can actually get even worse at this rate.

Don't even know how to deal with all the losing anymore. Don't know who to blame, don't know how much good firing anyone will do when any sort of personnel changes like that have set us back or sideways in recent years anyways. Excuses will be recycled, players will lose any trust in the organization.

So lost. So damn disheartened.

Never been worse time to be a fan of this team. Dark times. No light in the distance.

Cruelest joke of all time.

Man where have you been the past 5 years? This is all well documented. It's a tragicomedy and we are the audience unfortunately. It's like life in general: you have no idea what's really going on and yet there you are.

Canucks fan here. It might be hard to stomach, but before we scored our goal I was terrified that your team would get one past Miller on a scramble and the Sedins would get posts, or off the inside of the pad and out type plays that looked pretty but didn't count on the scoreboard. If you can get defense and goaltending like that and slowly work on the offense I think you can start to steal a few games and get confidence rolling.

If it goes back to offense at any cost your goalies will get hung out to dry and you'll end up with more 6-4 type loses where you score goals but are even further from a win.

So our defense is bad, goaltending also, and offense sucks too. Okay what other brilliant insights do you have to share with us?

Last edited:

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Its obvious that the oiler players dont trust one another
why else do players converge on one player and constantly leave a player open
what is eakins telling these guys to do? These are nhl hockey players and seen to be leaving conmon hockey sense at the door

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man where have you been the past 5 years? This is all well documented. It's a tragicomedy and we are the audience unfortunately. It's like life in general: you have no idea what's really going on and yet there you are.

So our defense is bad, goaltending also, and offense sucks too. Okay what other brilliant insights do you have to share with us?

Actually that's not what I was getting at with my post. Your defense was actually good tonight and your goaltending looked good with that level of support. Not many goalies and not many defenses are going to stop that Vrbata goal and no defense is immune to the kind of breakdown that created it. The biggest issue is; can the Oilers find a system that can play a boring defensive game while still potting a goal or two 5v5 and can they powerplay find a place where they can generate goals at or near a league average rate?

I think you have enough in place to do it to a certain degree this season. The biggest issue is can the players be made to buy into a system that doesn't let their individual skills shine? The other issue is one of Eakins creating and sticking with such a system when games like this are rolling through and the fans are screaming for offense?

It's not an easy road, nor a fun one to watch, but if your team can play a trap game you will win games this season that you haven't been.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This team is becoming the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the NHL.

And that's a very very bad thing.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
I thought the oilers looked decent tonight. And draisaitl is going to be a total kopitar anyone can see it remeber 18 playing in the nhl is impressive.

such doom and gloom and expectation on 19 and 21 yr old kids give them a break yakupov is still learning english isnt he.

a year of learingg curve resulting in a top 5 draft pick for a barzal or eichel or god formid mcdavid isnt going to hurt. Be patient and youre gonna be fine.

I know u said arcobello was solid but be honest hes on the 1st line. The team needs defensive depth and a real 1 c or rnh to really improve. The rest of the prospects all look dangerous and are all under 22.

as a lot of you have said this is management and not the players. You need to give a coach time i think eakins will be fine as well. The only glaring problems are center depth and defense.

Yes....yes.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
what is eakins telling these guys to do? These are nhl hockey players and seen to be leaving conmon hockey sense at the door

He's telling them to swarm the puck carrier.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
His injury put a lot of his stats and potential into question. He also put up a lot of his stats next to Yakupov, while Yak put up points just as well or better without Galchenyuk.

Even so, I would bet that they did consider Galchenyuk and Murray.

I honestly don't think they considered Galchenyuk at all. They didn't invite him to Edmonton before the draft. They seemed to only be interested in Yakupov and Murray. There was a lot of talk that week about how surprised everybody was when Galchenyuk wasn't brought in and the consensus was they refused to take a player that only played six games that season.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

That's the swarm Defense that Eakins is preaching. Doesn't work in the NHL, but Eakins thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Personally, I think this loss was more on MacTavish than on Eakins. This is what you get when you only have 2 NHL centers in the lineup. The Oilers got absolutely nothing from Arcobello and Draisaitl. I have high hopes for Draisaitl, but right now he's certainly not ready.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
What part of Halls' attitude don't you like? He may act a bit immature at times, but this guy is one of the few who plays with his heart. He's damn frustrated right now as much as we are, and he wants to win. There's a reason why he has an A. He's the future C of this team. As a matter of my opinion, he should be the C over Ference right now. Ference has done nothing to warrant being the C still.

He is not the future C of this team. He probably wants to go back in time and refuse to report to this gong show. Willing to bet the farm he wants out next year.

On a positive note, there is only one person who has more rings then our president and he knows a thing or 2 about hockey

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia

This has to be Dallas Eakins writing his. Misery ends when Lowe and Eakins r gone

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What are you basing this on because he started his career in the minors therefore he is a minor leaguer for life:laugh: He has been the most consistant Center this season. This post of yours baffles me on pace for 50 points only plus player on team 52% in the dot 2nd in scoring while playing 17 min 8 hits only 1 giveaway and 4 takeaways. :laugh:

He's basing it on his love for Sam Gagner and embarrassment that Arco took his spot on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad