Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-0

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Starting with 2 NHL centers and 2 AHLers is not a winning formula. Arcobello belongs in the minors.

I completely agree. The organization needs to be purged entirely.

Arco has been this teams best center. And that top line looked much better with him at center than RNH

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

You're missing the point. It's not the number of 55 or 56 or whatever. The point is that he's now in his 4th year of pro hockey and hasn't developed at all.

His defensive game is the same, his offensive game is the same (or worse since his rookie year). The only thing that is different is that he's put on the weight everyone wanted and claimed would make the difference for him. He is what he is, and this is what he'll be.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
You're missing the point. It's not the number of 55 or 56 or whatever. The point is that he's now in his 4th year of pro hockey and hasn't developed at all.

His defensive game is the same, his offensive game is the same (or worse since his rookie year). The only thing that is different is that he's put on the weight everyone wanted and claimed would make the difference for him. He is what he is, and this is what he'll be.

He missed the net a lot last night. I wouldn't doubt it if he was in fact playing with a bad shoulder again

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Says the same guy who defended Gagner by claiming he was still young during his 7th season.

You're ignoring the fact that one of those seasons was lockout shortened where he shouldn't even have been playing and should have had shoulder surgery. And last season he came back to xtra early from shoulder surgery, never had proper time to rehab from the injury, never had training camp and was not sheltered in any way when he was tossed into the #1 C role playing 25+ minutes a night on occasion.
Not sure what more you expected out of the kid last season as he did improve a lot in the two way aspect of his game.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He missed the net a lot last night. I wouldn't doubt it if he was in fact playing with a bad shoulder again

Wouldn't surprise me if Eakins pressured him to play even though he is injured and shouldn't be playing. The Oilers have been called out for doing this in the past.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Says the same guy who defended Gagner by claiming he was still young during his 7th season.

You're ignoring the fact that one of those seasons was lockout shortened where he shouldn't even have been playing and should have had shoulder surgery. And last season he came back to xtra early from shoulder surgery, never had proper time to rehab from the injury, never had training camp and was not sheltered in any way when he was tossed into the #1 C role playing 25+ minutes a night on occasion.
Not sure what more you expected out of the kid last season as he did improve a lot in the two way aspect of his game.

What improvement? He's still a mess defensively. His positioning is poor (although Eakins "system" is a part of that problem), he back checks about as hard as Ebs and even with his increased size he is still easily knocked of the puck and loses the majority of board battles. He still has a long way to go before I'd say he's even an adequate 2 way player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What improvement? He's still a mess defensively. His positioning is poor (although Eakins "system" is a part of that problem), he back checks about as hard as Ebs and even with his increased size he is still easily knocked of the puck and loses the majority of board battles. He still has a long way to go before I'd say he's even an adequate 2 way player.

Credibility = gone.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

You're the second person who has brought up Sam Gagner as if that somehow disproves my point of a player peaking in his rookie year. Maybe I've learned my lesson.

But regardless of that. You ask what more I expected? A player worthy of being picked 1st overall. That's what I expected. That same shoulder injury everyone wants to use as an excuse for RNH didn't seem to stop Taylor Hall from becoming a star in this league. When you pick a player 1st overall, that player is supposed to be a superstar player. We got that with Taylor Hall. We didn't get that with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and we didn't get that with Nail Yakupov.

But whatever, I'll give you guys all of last year because of missing a training camp (he played all 80 games when he came back so you'd think he would have improved as the year went on...). But he had an entire off-season and training camp to train and put on the weight everyone has so frantically been clamouring for. Looks like the exact same player.

chicago oiler

Jul 17, 2010
Gotta say, I'm pretty surprised to see people piling on RNH here. I thought he looked solid last night. He hustled on the PK, which was especially nice to see and even came to close to producing some shorty chances.

I will admit that Arco seemed to be clicking a bit with Hall and Ebs, so I would've prefered Eakins the Genius to stick with that line and then RNH-Yak, but... we can't have it all, I guess.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You're the second person who has brought up Sam Gagner as if that somehow disproves my point of a player peaking in his rookie year. Maybe I've learned my lesson.

But regardless of that. You ask what more I expected? A player worthy of being picked 1st overall. That's what I expected. That same shoulder injury everyone wants to use as an excuse for RNH didn't seem to stop Taylor Hall from becoming a star in this league. When you pick a player 1st overall, that player is supposed to be a superstar player. We got that with Taylor Hall. We didn't get that with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and we didn't get that with Nail Yakupov.

But whatever, I'll give you guys all of last year because of missing a training camp (he played all 80 games when he came back so you'd think he would have improved as the year went on...). But he had an entire off-season and training camp to train and put on the weight everyone has so frantically been clamouring for. Looks like the exact same player.

3 games, 3 ****ing games and the knives are out.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It was his first game back from injury
Give him a bit of slack before jumping all over him :laugh:

I will give him some slack, but im not going to suggest he has an injury when there is no indication of it.

I think this is a big year for RNH , and it could either cement him as a 1st line center who has a chance to change this franchise , or just another guy who can't really impact the game at even strength.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
3 games, 3 ****ing games and the knives are out.

:rolleyes:

Can't say a negative thing about the kid or I'm accused of pitchforks and knives.

I don't want him going anywhere. I want him to succeed. He's a good hockey player. But he's not a star, and me suggesting he wont be one is not getting the knives out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
:rolleyes:

Can't say a negative thing about the kid or I'm accused of pitchforks and knives.

I don't want him going anywhere. I want him to succeed. He's a good hockey player. But he's not a star, and me suggesting he wont be one is not getting the knives out.

Fairly premature. How good were the Sedins at that same age? Ryan Johansen?

Unfortunately for the Oilers two of their three 1st overalls are going to require a fair bit of development, they are not ready made superstars like Stamkos or Tavares, but that doesn't mean you just throw them away.

Lets get a competent coaching staff in here too.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fairly premature. How good were the Sedins at that same age? Ryan Johansen?

Unfortunately for the Oilers two of their three 1st overalls are going to require a fair bit of development, they are not ready made superstars like Stamkos or Tavares, but that doesn't mean you just throw them away.

Lets get a competent coaching staff in here too.

The Sedin's and Ryan Johansen weren't getting prime offensive minutes with the teams best offensive players from day one. And where have I said you throw away RNH? This team can't afford to move forward without him.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be better than he is. He's making the big bucks now. He shouldn't be immune to criticism.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Sedin's and Ryan Johansen weren't getting prime offensive minutes with the teams best offensive players from day one. And where have I said you throw away RNH? This team can't afford to move forward without him.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be better than he is. He's making the big bucks now. He shouldn't be immune to criticism.

He had 56 points last year coming off shoulder surgery ... I highly doubt that's his peak.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I will give him some slack, but im not going to suggest he has an injury when there is no indication of it.

I think this is a big year for RNH , and it could either cement him as a 1st line center who has a chance to change this franchise , or just another guy who can't really impact the game at even strength.

He never has been a guy who makes a huge impact 5vs5. Even in junior. Was one of the reasons I really didn't want him. Some of you guys are over reacting though RNH is going to be good but not going to be elite. I still see him being close to a Paul Statsny in him prime which is what I said when we drafted him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He never has been a guy who makes a huge impact 5vs5. Even in junior. Was one of the reasons I really didn't want him. Some of you guys are over reacting though RNH is going to be good but not going to be elite. I still see him being close to a Paul Statsny in him prime which is what I said when we drafted him.

What were his junior ev vs pp production like his draft year?

This is the thing about RNH , he is a playmaker with the inability to dominate puck possession.

I liken him to giroux in the sense that Giroux is not your prototypical first line center. He can't really dominate the puck because of his lack of physical gifts but he is such a quick decision maker that he can get the puck off his stick quick and to the right player. Plus Giroux has some grit for such an undersized guy. RNH has no where near as much grit and is a much slower decision maker. He is lacking the physical gifts of a kopitar, getzlaf, toews, and needs to make up for that with speed and decision making and so far he has looked bad in those two categories.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Man Im not even an Oilers fans and Im getting so pissed off now. I hope my Leafs don't turn out this way, but our path is similar as well :( . This is not a Dallas Eakins problem. Petition to have KLOWE fired and the puppets will follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad