Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-0

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
All you need to do is look at the TOI usage between the two teams to realize that Eakin's doesn't know what he's doing. With Vancouver the TOI difference between the 1st and 3rd line is around 3 minutes, so between 18 to 15 minutes with the 4th line getting 10 minutes.
With the Oiler's the gap between the 1st and 3rd line is 5 minutes, while a returning from injury RNH played 2 minutes more then Hall and 6 minutes more then our checking center.

The defence TOI was balanced for Vancouver with a total of 3 minute difference between the 1st and 3rd pairings. Edmonton had an 8 minute differance between the 1st and 3rd pairing with Nikitin and Schultz playing almost 7 minutes more then the 2nd pairing.

So what it looks like Eakin's is doing is riding his top line and defensive pairing to the point where they are near tired by games end while the Canucks create balance thru out their lineup. All this does creates are tired top players with a higher chance of injuries.

Schultz had the most TOI above all D man. Results? No shots or hits. WTF is he doing? He passed the puck all night, when he had a chance to at least shoot it. What happened to his confidence of shooting that damn wrister of his.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Purcell passed the puck directly back into his own slot in the sequence(from the halfboards):amazed:

This resulted in the turnover that immediately led to the goal

This being the type of veteran experience we recruited this offseason.

Yaks error earlier in the shift was failing to get it out of his zone which happens 30 times in a game. Purcells error is inexplicable and indefensible.

If yak get it out none of that other stuff happens. Tsn has been saying the same thing today.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
All you need to do is look at the TOI usage between the two teams to realize that Eakin's doesn't know what he's doing. With Vancouver the TOI difference between the 1st and 3rd line is around 3 minutes, so between 18 to 15 minutes with the 4th line getting 10 minutes.
With the Oiler's the gap between the 1st and 3rd line is 5 minutes, while a returning from injury RNH played 2 minutes more then Hall and 6 minutes more then our checking center.

The defence TOI was balanced for Vancouver with a total of 3 minute difference between the 1st and 3rd pairings. Edmonton had an 8 minute differance between the 1st and 3rd pairing with Nikitin and Schultz playing almost 7 minutes more then the 2nd pairing.

So what it looks like Eakin's is doing is riding his top line and defensive pairing to the point where they are near tired by games end while the Canucks create balance thru out their lineup. All this does creates are tired top players with a higher chance of injuries.

Thnk you for pointing out one of my least favourite Eakins qualities.

All of last year he would never trust our 4th line and maybe that was for good reason but this year we have a capable forth line and a very balanced line up, we have never before not needed to ride a few select players into the dirt and yet he still does.

Towards the ends of games without fail I see Eakins over playing people and it has almost never worked for him.

He mkes so many mistakes, so many I just can't believe he still has a job.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If yak get it out none of that other stuff happens. Tsn has been saying the same thing today.

If the Captain doesn't ice the puck for no reason at all non of that other stuff happens either.

But of course it's easier for TSN to dump everything on Yakupov.

Then make up stupid proposals that would have him dealt to Toronto.
Then proclaim him to be the next Bure when he gets to Toronto.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So are you suggesting that everybody should stop playing as soon as someone fails to clear the puck because it's impossible to bail him out and save the play? It's been pointed out to you several times exactly what happened on that goal and how it could have been prevented.

As far as TSN goes, nobody here is remotely concerned about what they have to say about Yakupov. They and most of the national media have had an axe to grind with him since he scored his first NHL goal. If they have been watching him play this year and are impartial towards him they'd notice how hard he's been playing in all three zones this year and how much better his overall play has looked. He's been very impressive so far. One of very few bright spots so far. That isn't the case though. They just want to continue to rip him for being too excited and showing too much excitement when he scores a goal.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
This player or that player made a bad pass.
The real point is that we have no functional breakout patterns, we have no set plays (even a simple chip and chase). All the players are on different pages. We have a coaching problem and it is shocking after over a year of this clown. We look like we have absolutely no coaching systems.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Because its open season on Yak any day and all day. On the telecast as well right away they say Yak.

Purcell made the most grievous error on that play and its not even close.

I can't even fathom a veteran player making a play like that. Actually two on the same sequence.

Yak at worst was guilty of not getting the puck out. Something every player on this team fails at.

Purcell is supposed to be help in the form of a veteran competent player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The poster I was responding to was speaking about the future. Not the past.

Says the same guy who defended Gagner by claiming he was still young during his 7th season.
Pretty sure you were already all over Gagner by his fourth season. No?

I'm not suggesting for a minute that RNH is a major problem on this team. Kid just doesn't look like a first overall pick at all.

Not sure why you keep bringing up Sam Gagner.
They can't help it. The man is gone and they still want to keep talking about him.
Its kind of funny actually.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

All of last year he would never trust our 4th line and maybe that was for good reason but this year we have a capable forth line and a very balanced line up, we have never before not needed to ride a few select players into the dirt and yet he still does.

Towards the ends of games without fail I see Eakins over playing people and it has almost never worked for him.

You are not alone buddy. Just look at when he puts specific lines out too. Its like he doesnt pay attention to what lines are dominating and doesnt pay attention to situation. Its mind boggling and mind numbing

Gambl0r83*

LoL at the Nuge thing, he was by far our best player yesterday. Did you guys not see him on the penalty kill? And that breakaway he created from that quick stick turnover? What are you watching man?
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Oilers+futility+season+continues+against+Canucks/10302525/story.html
"Nugent-Hopkins punches up game

The last time Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was in the Oilers lineup, he was involved in first fighting major. Granted, he missed the next two games with a bad back but it was an element of his game that hadn’t been seen before.

Fast forward to Friday.

Were it not for Ryan Miller’s blocker save, he would have had his first shorthanded goal after a flexing his penalty killing muscle on the Canucks first power play. He intercepted the puck to create the breakaway, and had another chance before Vancouver was back to even strength."

dobiezeke*

Flew to Edmonton to watch the game (the tickets were the right price...free) and the person I was with agreed that Eakins lost any semblance of control over his lines in the second period. We were in awe of how he squeezed every ounce of energy out of Hall in the third period. And as the period went on Hall began to try and carry the team on his soldiers and basically became ineffective.

Like several games this year the team has looked good for 20 minutes and then the wheels fall off. That sits squarely on the coach. He has to find a way to keep the energy going and by screwing with the lines continually the momentum is destroyed...hopefully much like his coaching tenure in Edmonton.

dobiezeke*

Because its open season on Yak any day and all day. On the telecast as well right away they say Yak.

Purcell made the most grievous error on that play and its not even close.

I can't even fathom a veteran player making a play like that. Actually two on the same sequence.

Yak at worst was guilty of not getting the puck out. Something every player on this team fails at.

Purcell is supposed to be help in the form of a veteran competent player.

Watched it first hand and was just amazed how clueless Purcell looked out there. Perron made the same move earlier in the game. Not sure what is going on in these guy's heads.

Yak was the best player in the first period. And was not the issue in the final 40.

Last edited by a moderator:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You are not alone buddy. Just look at when he puts specific lines out too. Its like he doesnt pay attention to what lines are dominating and doesnt pay attention to situation. Its mind boggling and mind numbing

I don't even have the qualifications to coach a peewee team but Eakin's decisions are mind boggling. How he handles each players TOI, his line match ups, how he sets up his line up to how he can't read when players are having hot or cold games. He starts players together for the first period, then he just goes back to whatever he feels like without letting them build chemistry.

Instead of stacking Hall, RNH and Eberle together, he needs to spread out the scoring if they really want 3 scoring lines. The lineup needs to be balanced 5 on 5 so that the team can remain even with the other team. Then stack the PP and put your best defensive players on the PK and win the special teams battle. The team has enough skill to put two offensively gifted players on each of the top 3 lines. Hall-???-RNH, Perron-RNH-???, Pouliot-Draisaitl (or ??? if Drai goes to junior)-Yakupov. Put the Gordon line out there every time the other teams 1st line is out.

Focus on the trap or another defensive minded system, this isn't the 80's anymore. Make the players work hard in on ice practice, where the game is actually played and don't wear them out with off ice sessions or triatholon garbage, that's what the off season is for. You develop a work ethic with the players from hard on ice practices then it will translate to playing hard during a game. You push the players to hard off the ice it will translate to weak efforts on the ice.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Agreed. The kid line doesn't actually play well together. They need to think in pairs.

Hall and Eberle, LD and Yak and RNH with somebody big.

Hall-Arco-Eberle

It's worked before, our supposedly top two wingers should be able to keep our worst center above water.

Pouliot-RNH-Purcell

I don't know. Get some biggers guys who can forecheck with RNH. These guys can throw the puck around nicely.

Perron-LD-Yak

LD and yak are good together. I like Perron with them because he's way more responsible than Pouliot is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Watched it first hand and was just amazed how clueless Purcell looked out there. Perron made the same move earlier in the game. Not sure what is going on in these guy's heads.

Yak was the best player in the first period. And was not the issue in the final 40.

I am not disagreeing with your post except to say that Yak was not mistake free in the final 2 periods. For example his poor clearing attempt was one of many Oiler 'mistakes' that contributed to the Canucks 1st goal.

Yak is really improving though and its very good to see.

I also think the pairs line of thinking is an excellent idea.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
What are the chances of Draisaitl being sent down? I watched a bit of the game yesterday, he really looks like he could use some time in junior. Kassian ran him at the end of a long shift with 2 bad giveaways by Leon, can't believe no one went to say anything to Kassian.

This is a kid who in his 5th game is playing against big guys taking runs at him. He can't generate much confidence offensively here either. Seems like a poor environment for developing.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What are the chances of Draisaitl being sent down? I watched a bit of the game yesterday, he really looks like he could use some time in junior. Kassian ran him at the end of a long shift with 2 bad giveaways by Leon, can't believe no one went to say anything to Kassian.

This is a kid who in his 5th game is playing against big guys taking runs at him. He can't generate much confidence offensively here either. Seems like a poor environment for developing.

I would say if MacT manages to pull off a trade for a center, or Loktionov is healthy enough to sign, Drai will be sent down.
If no centerman is acquired before game 10, Drai stays.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I just wanted to see from an oilers fan perspective.

It would really suck for the next over 1st overall (or 2nd...or 3rd) just not get anywhere (no offense).

I thought we would be hearing big things from Hall and RNH by now. But alas. All you hear is that they are performing on a horrible Oilers team. If McDavid comes along, he'll suffer the same fate unless they do something with the blue line. Losing constantly has to wear on them eventually.

What's going to suck is by the time they realize this (the big wigs), all of these big catches will be getting their big contracts, and drafting big would have been for nothing (can't hold on to all of them).

I hope the Oilers focus on their blue line, and aim hard for a legit starter in the off season. I would like to see these guys be competitive again.
Our issue is that we have defensive prospects out the yin-yang, but no top talent ready at the NHL level. Drafting a D man way above where he should go in this draft does nothing to solve this.

We are paying the price for not having a development system at all for so long. Our D prospects are only nearing NHL readiness, maybe someone will be ready next season.

What they need to do if they draft 1st again is draft the generational first overall player. Then deal the redundant pieces, (even if we had high hopes for them,) and get some developed help for the blue line. Not just settle for mid pairing guys, and hope they play above their heads, which has been the strategy thus far.

We need to deal at least one of Ebs or Nuge (only if we get McD--who will be better than him immediately but fills that similar role,) for legit first line help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad