Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-0

McDeathbyCheerios*

Scrivens had a good game. Hall made a couple of nice defensive plays.......................

0-4-1.

Yippee
We had an easy start to the year. Calgary, Vancouver x2, LA and Arizona. Only one of those games should of been even hard.

Eakins is clearly a garbage coach, watching the d systems, and how the entire team is underperforming is clearly the coach. Some players slump, but when a whole team looks bad two years in a row even with new guys in the mix, it's clear who it is.

I'll say it again, Eakins needs to go within the week or MacT needs to be fired so the new GM can fire Eakins

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The guy I wanted hired and would have hired goes by the name of Jim Nill. Look what he's done for Dallas in the same time frame.

Actually him and Jarmo were the two guys I keyed in on as potential GMs when I thought Tambo was horrible and in line to be fired, but I'm not convinced that MacT is a bad GM.

Heck Jim Nill's first two trades were for Shawn Horcoff and Sergei Gonchar who are both pretty much old, useless, and overpaid so it's not like he is some perfect being; that is two players making a lot of money who do next to nothing to help their team. Nill made one big trade acquiring Peverly and Seguin which really turned things around for them, I'm not sure if you watched the insider video where the Bruins discussed trading Seguin, but it seems they were convinced he didn't play "Bruin's hockey" and wanted someone who did and Dallas had an advantage in having someone that fit the bill of a player who play's Bruin's hockey where the Oiler's had no one other then Taylor Hall who fit that description at the time the trade went down.

Nill has now followed that up with adding Seguin and Hemsky which looks good on paper, but we will have to see how it pans out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also this is the worst start for the Oilers ever, there is no excuse for that. I wonder how bad we will go. 0-7-1? Will we get to 40 losses?

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Unfortunately there's only so much you can do one the wing. Who was the last winger to lead their team to the cup?

You can be a top-5 winger in the league, but it's just not enough.

Not that I disagree with your point, but to answer your question the last 2 conn smythe winners have been wingers.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It won't happen though. The only way I see Katz doing anything at all, is if people just don't go to the games. Unfortunately the fanbase is way too passionate about this team, that they will still go. Funny how LaForge blamed the empty seats on the weather last season. God, I just wanted to slam my head on the table, when I heard him say that.

I think putting the brakes on his major investment would give him a bit more incentive. There must be a way to at least tie up the arena building for say 6 months with some sort of legal matter. Tell him we'll go away if he Fires Lowe and every other crony in management.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
AnxiousWelldocumentedLark.gif

:laugh:

oh boy.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
With Yak, his play in his own zone has improved vastly. All the Yak haters focus on one turn-over (and not mention the others made by everyone else) and ignore the 2 or 3 times he has been terrific with his fast stick in his own zone. Its being consistence he needs now.

The game itself, felt it was the Oilers best game of the season so far, which isn't saying all that much. The lack of scoring againest Miller was the Nucks playing decent in their own zone, and the Oilers just couldn't get the puck high, as Miller is great when shots are closer to the ice. The Sedin line killed them, as usual. You would think after 75 games againest them they would have figured out how to stop them by now.

I also noticed that the team overall played Eakins systems better, or at least seemed more committed to them. I guess all the anger finally got noticed by them, so there was a far better effort than the previous 2 games.

A loss is a loss, but if they manged to score a goal, would have been a different game.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think putting the brakes on his major investment would give him a but more incentive. There must be a way to at least tie up the arena building for say 6 months with some sort of legal matter. Tell him we'll go away if he Fires Lowe and every other crony in management.

If anything, if its money.. he will notice it right away. The fact that he refused to let Lowe take a hiatus still manages to annoy me to this day. Your fanbase is screaming for his head, and he offers to go away to make the fanbase less furious, and you have the nerve to refuse it and allow the fans to get more angry? Katz is such a *******.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I understand all the grumpiness from losing. But here is some positives I saw from tonight.

- Yakupov: Very strong defensive game tonight. He actually looked similar to a 2 way player out there at times.
- Ference had a very strong game in many ways.
- PK looked really good, especially Gordon and Hendricks.
- 4th line was fantastic tonight. Especially Gordon and Hendricks. :D

I could list a few more, but anyone who watched the game knows what went down.

And as a special mention.....Miller is going to be a tough nut to crack. Damned good tendin there.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's an awful feeling this early in the season to already be at the annual point of hoping for losses so people are held accountable, and the only thing you cheer for is for the players you like to get points.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Thought the Oiler tried hard, the Cnaucks top line is vastly superior to any Oiler line. That made all the difference as they seem to anticpae very well and know how to create scroing chances while the Oilers were not really good at seeting up plays. Oilers chances seem random and disjoint. This is mostly on coaching and the collective hockey IQ level of the team.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not that I disagree with your point, but to answer your question the last 2 conn smythe winners have been wingers.

Fair enough point, but I didn't see a single poll or betting agency that had Justin Williams ahead of Kopitar and Doughty before it was awarded.
And Kane has been the closest example in our generation of a winger leading a team to a cup. However, if you ask anyone which Hawk was their most valuable, I think we all know who their leader is.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Fair enough point, but I didn't see a single poll or betting agency that had Justin Williams ahead of Kopitar and Doughty before it was awarded.
And Kane has been the closest example in our generation of a winger leading a team to a cup. However, if you ask anyone which Hawk was their most valuable, I think we all know who their leader is.

Alright, let's offer Kevin Lowe and his 6 cup rings in return for Toews. Boom. :laugh:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
On a side note: If we draft McDavid one of RNH or Draisaitl should be used as trade bait. Preferably for a good defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad