Rumor: Oilers look to move a player with "term" for player who has a different "ingredient"

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Was Hall, Maroon, Lucic, Nuge, Cags, etc. heck with so many lefties everybody plays LW. On the right since Eberle left? Draisaitl about 60% time and Ty Rattie, JP and Letestu (barf). It’s a sad right side because Draisaitl is wasted on RW.
2 of those players are no longer on your team and other than Nuge, none of the others are top 6 caliber. Thus you have a hole on the left and right.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Wouldn't RNH ideally be a 2nd line left winger ? Pacioretty or Galchenyuk wouldn't make your LW elite but would give you a respectable 1-2 punch (assuming RNH is good at LW).

We could just sign Maroon. Nuge is wasted as winger when not playing with McJesus. He’s reliable center... why make him a winger? Same with Draisaitl. Our wingers are a sad sack. RW being the worst need. Strome sometimes plays there or LW but he’s nothing special.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
We could just sign Maroon. Nuge is wasted as winger when not playing with McJesus. He’s reliable center... why make him a winger? Same with Draisaitl. Our wingers are a sad sack. RW being the worst need. Strome sometimes plays there or LW but he’s nothing special.

Then trade him for a winger(s) and play Drai at C. Signing Maroon would be like putting a band aid during surgery. Draft Wahlstrom and hope to sign and FA. Then trade RNH for wingers would be my idea.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lots of RDs out there with more speed and skill, though. Larsson is good, but more in the meat and potatoes vein.

Plenty of lefties with more speed and skill than Vlasic, too.

There’s still all kinds of room in the NHL for a modern shutdown defenceman like Larsson.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Then trade him for a winger(s) and play Drai at C. Signing Maroon would be like putting a band aid during surgery. Draft Wahlstrom and hope to sign and FA. Then trade RNH for wingers would be my idea.

... RNH with McDavid will be a 65 point winger at least. Why deal for what you have already?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because it's your best trade assest to patch up glaring holes elsewhere

Like the wing? Where he’s already playing?

Trading a centre playing wing for a winger that can’t play centre is not smart. If McD or Drai get hurt we actually have depth and wouldn’t have to shove Strome into a 2C role he absolutely is not ready to handle.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Why? Nuge is the ultimate versatile forward. Plays all positions and is reliable and good for 55-65pts. Any winger would cost the same and be a downgrade.

No rookie will come in and save the team next season. And UFAs is full of LW but almost no RW. I’d love to bring back Perron. He’d fit perfectly with the gritty Oilers on the right side.

Maroon is cheapish LW depth. I hope he only costs $3M/yr. I’d jettison Kassian to save cap.

Lucic’s contract is the anchor currently.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Like the wing? Where he’s already playing?

Trading a centre playing wing for a winger that can’t play centre is not smart. If McD or Drai get hurt we actually have depth and wouldn’t have to shove Strome into a 2C role he absolutely is not ready to handle.

Then be patient I suppose. Hope a good winger is available at your pick or trade the pick and sign a few decent FA's. Knowing Chiarelli those contracts will be awful

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Then be patient I suppose. Hope a good winger is available at your pick or trade the pick and sign a few decent FA's. Knowing Chiarelli those contracts will be awful

We have very few good players left, trading any of them for downgrades seems reallllly ill advised.

sailorjerry97

Jan 5, 2018
Gotta think it will be on empress of Sekera, Russell or Lucic , tho I highly doubt Lucic. If it’s Klef for Risto think you have to pull the trigger

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so is this Lucic or is it one of the dmen not named Larsson?

Klefbom is probably the only guy that fits that criteria with any real value.
sekera maybe but a team has to be pretty confident he can return to form considering his age, salary, and how awful he was after coming back from that injury

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I don’t know what ‘term on all three’ is supposed to mean, but Carolina won’t like it because they can probably get more selling them individually and Edmonton shouldn’t be moving a guy that looked like he could score 35 goals on McDavid’s wing.
Sorry meant to have the 10 OA pick and RNH for Skinner and Faulk...I'm sure there'd have to be a conditional pick from CAR for Skinner re-signing but I think both would listen to that

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why? Nuge is the ultimate versatile forward. Plays all positions and is reliable and good for 55-65pts. Any winger would cost the same and be a downgrade.

How is RNH reliable and good for 55-65 points when in 7 years he’s only done it twice (and only 56, mind you) and the last time was 4 seasons ago???

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
How is RNH reliable and good for 55-65 points when in 7 years he’s only done it twice (and only 56, mind you) and the last time was 4 seasons ago???
Because he's playing with McSavior, duh. Everyone playing next to his Holiness is good for 80+ pts a year, didn't you know this? Crystal balls and all that jazz, or something.

But I'm going to guess It's either Klef, RNH or Drai being shipped.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Because he's playing with McSavior, duh. Everyone playing next to his Holiness is good for 80+ pts a year, didn't you know this? Crystal balls and all that jazz, or something.

But I'm going to guess It's either Klef, RNH or Drai being shipped.

Well one of those options has a chance of moving. If you really think RNH or Draisaitl is going... you don't know much about the Oilers.

Reactions: 780il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad