Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why is he limited to signing with the oilers? What is the actual rule?

If a player who has not been drafted but still eligible to be drafted attends a pro camp he can sign only to that team? Seems strange to me and pretty limiting to the player.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

If a player who has not been drafted but still eligible to be drafted attends a pro camp he can sign only to that team? Seems strange to me and pretty limiting to the player.

No he is free to sign with any teams. But, there is kind of an unspoken rule about this between GM, if you steal a player you are going to get a bad reputation.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

I think, just that the team that offered the player a PTO, they have a limited window to sign the player, then he goes back into the draft. I'm not super clear on it, but I think that's the gist of it, and I think Vlad being undrafted is the reason for the window.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Schremp I can sort of understand getting hype(145 points and 45 in the playoffs he last year jr.) and people thinking it's realistic, but Omark never made any sense, he was a 4th round pick who had a good year in Sweden and then a middling year in the KHL. Anyone realistically thinking he would light the league on fire wasn't worth talking to. I think most people(not his swedish fans) were just excited with the skill he could bring to what was a horrible last place team. Schremp had a bad attitude and couldn't keep up, Omark actually tried to change, but couldn't put up the offense when he was trying to limit his mistakes.

In the end a lot of his hype came from Swedish fans.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No he is free to sign with any teams. But, there is kind of an unspoken rule about this between GM, if you steal a player you are going to get a bad reputation.
No, that's not it. It has to do with tryout invites temporarily being on a team's reserve list, and therefore, not free to sign with any team.

Although if Tkachev does sign, it will be as a "free agent".

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think, just that the team that offered the player a PTO, they have a limited window to sign the player, then he goes back into the draft. I'm not super clear on it, but I think that's the gist of it, and I think Vlad being undrafted is the reason for the window.

I don't really know that this is true. Keep hearing how all these vets that go to camp aren't just there for the team that invited them, but for the other teams he plays against.

The only difference could be that Vlad is a junior player and might be under a different classification than a Tootoo or Komisarek

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if Tkachev turns into an Omark/Schremp ... who cares? He's worth taking a chance on a contract.

If nothing else he can help transition and develop Yakimov in the AHL.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I don't really know that this is true. Keep hearing how all these vets that go to camp aren't just there for the team that invited them, but for the other teams he plays against.

The only difference could be that Vlad is a junior player and might be under a different classification than a Tootoo or Komisarek

If he doesn't sign and goes back to junior he will be in the draft again whereas those guys you mentioned will still be free agents if they don't sign

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Tkachev's main issue isn't his size as much as it is his weight. There are a lot of quality 5'9'' players in this league and I don't see why he couldn't get bulk up with a good training/diet regime.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I guess my question is after october 1st, is Tkachev obligated to go back to Juniors, or is he free to sign with another NHL team? What if some team is really impressed with him and is crazy enough to offer him an ELC and promise him that they would keep them on their roster this year and not send him back to Juniors? This is not very likely given his small stature, but if it was an option for his agent, that could be a reason not to sign with the Oilers.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Why is everybody so convinced this player needs to go back to junior?

I get that he is small but to me he looks ready to play now. Obviously it's still early but if there is anyone that has deserved a longer look it's this guy.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I get that he is small but to me he looks ready to play now. Obviously it's still early but if there is anyone that has deserved a longer look it's this guy.

Why does he need to be played in the NHL right away? He has looked great, but let him develop a bit in juniors and gain more meat. The kid is probably a lock on for Russia's WJ team, so why not. No harm done at all for him to play in juniors.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver

Because (A)we're pretty set on wings with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot, Purcell and Perron, not to mention Hendricks who will probably end up on the wing and (B)he can't go anywhere besides junior, Europe or the NHL. Maybe he'd benefit more from playing in Europe but he's not going to the AHL this year. Whose spot on our team do you give him?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I guess my question is after october 1st, is Tkachev obligated to go back to Juniors, or is he free to sign with another NHL team? What if some team is really impressed with him and is crazy enough to offer him an ELC and promise him that they would keep them on their roster this year and not send him back to Juniors? This is not very likely given his small stature, but if it was an option for his agent, that could be a reason not to sign with the Oilers.

I'm trying to remember what was the case with Brandon Morrison a few years back...

He was at the Canucks camp on a PTO, but he ended up signing in Calgary. I can't recall if he was cut first and then signed with the Flames a few days later, or if it was signed while he was still at camp in Vancouver.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Because (A)we're pretty set on wings with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot, Purcell and Perron, not to mention Hendricks who will probably end up on the wing and (B)he can't go anywhere besides junior, Europe or the NHL. Maybe he'd benefit more from playing in Europe but he's not going to the AHL this year. Whose spot on our team do you give him?

Hadn't really considered where to slot him. Just seems odd that he isn't even being considered for an NHL role.

Perhaps the reason he hasn't signed yet is because there is greater opportunity elsewhere on a team with less wing depth. If the kid continues to show as he has the first two pre-season games, it wouldn't surprise me to see another team take note...

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I'm trying to remember what was the case with Brandon Morrison a few years back...

He was at the Canucks camp on a PTO, but he ended up signing in Calgary. I can't recall if he was cut first and then signed with the Flames a few days later, or if it was signed while he was still at camp in Vancouver.

The Oiler's have the exclusive rights to Tkachev until Oct 1st. After that he goes back to junior and no one can sign him because he re-enters the draft. Oiler's could draft him but risk loosing him to someone else.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Sign him already, good for the Russian factor if Yakimov, Yakupov and Nikitin are here for the long haul.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sign him already, good for the Russian factor if Yakimov, Yakupov and Nikitin are here for the long haul.
There is less if that Russian risk signing him cause we have quite a few here already

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Yeah, I believe you are correct, if he wasn't an undrafted junior player, he would be able to sign with anyone. If he goes unsigned, he goes back into the draft. I worded that poorly in my post. Thanks for clearing that up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hadn't really considered where to slot him. Just seems odd that he isn't even being considered for an NHL role.

Perhaps the reason he hasn't signed yet is because there is greater opportunity elsewhere on a team with less wing depth. If the kid continues to show as he has the first two pre-season games, it wouldn't surprise me to see another team take note...
I don't buy it.

Literally nothing has changed since he got here. We have always had the same amount of depth on the wing all summer. It's not like all of a sudden 3 rookies showed to be NHL ready.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
I don't buy it.

Literally nothing has changed since he got here. We have always had the same amount of depth on the wing all summer. It's not like all of a sudden 3 rookies showed to be NHL ready.

Well, if it's true he can't sign elsewhere regardless my theory is bunk.

However, I do think he has showed more than anybody would have expected and it's likely the Oilers were the only team to offer him a tryout at camp. Due to his over-performance it could be possible that his agent has advised he wait and see what other options become available to him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we were to sign him then we'd technically own his rights for 5 years. Let him spend the next 2 years in Jr to develop and get bigger. Then you have 3 years where he can stay in the AHL and if he deserves a spot on the big club then you call him up. In the worst case scenario he would be an excellent AHL winger and a nice callup option to have if an offensive winger in the NHL gets injured.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Tkachev's main issue isn't his size as much as it is his weight. There are a lot of quality 5'9'' players in this league and I don't see why he couldn't get bulk up with a good training/diet regime.
Is he 163Lbs like the Moncton website says or 141Lbs? If he's the latter then I really don't see him bulking up enough to ever be an NHL player

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is he 163Lbs like the Moncton website says or 141Lbs? If he's the latter then I really don't see him bulking up enough to ever be an NHL player

well at training camp he weighed in at 141 lbs so I guess we know where you stand

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad