Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been preaching size for some time, however with guys like Draisaitl, Yakimov, Moroz, Kessy and Ewanyk coming down the pipeline I see no reason why we can't roll the dice with Tkachev. He will gain some weight over time, he may not get any taller, but he doesn't look like a scrawny weakling or anything on the ice. If he's this good now, imagine if he gains 15-20lbs! He'll have to earn the NHL part of his ELC so who gives a rip if he wants even 1st round money? If he is good enough to overcome his size in his ELC then chances are that he'll be a damn good hockey player and worth every penny of his ELC.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I've been preaching size for some time, however with guys like Draisaitl, Yakimov, Moroz, Kessy and Ewanyk coming down the pipeline I see no reason why we can't roll the dice with Tkachev. He will gain some weight over time, he may not get any taller, but he doesn't look like a scrawny weakling or anything on the ice. If he's this good now, imagine if he gains 15-20lbs! He'll have to earn the NHL part of his ELC so who gives a rip if he wants even 1st round money? If he is good enough to overcome his size in his ELC then chances are that he'll be a damn good hockey player and worth every penny of his ELC.
A lot more smaller skilled players are in the league than from years prior. If they can play they can play. And just for ***** and giggles the title should be changed to Vladdy hockey :naughty:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It would be crazy to not sign him over $100-$150k.

Oh for sure. I just don't want to see them paying him 1.5-2 million when if he went back in the draft he would probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick making 3rd or 4th round money.

You would think that the Tkatchev camp would be a little less willing to play hard ball with the team that gave him the camp invite. If his demands are ridiculous we don't have to sign him (although I hope it doesn't come to that).

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh for sure. I just don't want to see them paying him 1.5-2 million when if he went back in the draft he would probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick making 3rd or 4th round money.

You would think that the Tkatchev camp would be a little less willing to play hard ball with the team that gave him the camp invite. If his demands are ridiculous we don't have to sign him (although I hope it doesn't come to that).

I can't see that being a problem. I'd like to believe he'll sign whatever contract gets sent his way.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What are the rules for contracts and attending camps and such. Would there be anything to prevent another team from swooping in and offering him contract?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What are the rules for contracts and attending camps and such. Would there be anything to prevent another team from swooping in and offering him contract?

I don't think there is anything preventing that from happening.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I thought I read somewhere that the Oilers window of opportunity for signing Tkachev was until October 1st and if they don't sign him by then, he goes back to next year's draft.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe he's turned a few heads on other teams as well and people have taken notice... and he may have interest from another GM at this point as well.

Just speculation... but his agent no doubt is fishing for interest from multiple places to get the best deal for his client... wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

I don't think there is anything preventing that from happening.

I thought I read somewhere that the Oilers window of opportunity for signing Tkachev was until October 1st and if they don't sign him by then, he goes back to next year's draft.

It would be interesting to get an answer to this from someone with more knowledge of the CBA... maybe someone can ask Stauffer or someone else with connections.

I could see a team like Anaheim swooping in and offering a deal on a team in a sunny climate... makes up just a wee bit for losing Schultz for nothing as well... not that GM's have that type of memory and would do things like that. :)

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The Oilers do have a window where they are the only team that can offer him a contract. When that window closes, I don't know. Before the season starts I would think.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
after pro-rating his plus minus with his team mates last year, he was on a team that was terrible defensively and was a -1 after 20 games. some guys were -30. he instantly made the whole team better.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I've read in the past that in a case like this, the Oilers would have exclusive rights to sign Tkachev.

The rules to look at here are the PTO/ATO contract rules, and what rights the team has while they are in effect.

Someone with better access to the CBA should look that up.

Jun 9, 2011
Maybe he's turned a few heads on other teams as well and people have taken notice... and he may have interest from another GM at this point as well.

Just speculation... but his agent no doubt is fishing for interest from multiple places to get the best deal for his client... wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't.

Would that be tampering? If they said, 'talk to me after you leave the Oiler camp?' This is a strange situation. I would think a player that got a shot from ONE team, as far as we know, would sign with that team in a heartbeat. I just want him to sign so that I can see the interview with yakupov as translator. :laugh:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
In Gregor's article, he brought up the hype around Omark and Schremp and how far off they were from meeting our unrealistic expectations. I will count myself in that group that had quite high expectations of Omark and Schremp and were disappointed they didn't work out. And thats why i'm better at tempering my expectations on smaller skilled players like Tkachev than I was in the past with similar players. However at the same time, I don't think even Schremp or Omark ever showed as much or performed as well with the Oilers as Tkachev has done during his short time here at camp.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all can quote me on this, but I believe the Tkachev hype!

Tkachev-Yakimov duo is instant magic!

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
In Gregor's article, he brought up the hype around Omark and Schremp and how far off they were from meeting our unrealistic expectations. I will count myself in that group that had quite high expectations of Omark and Schremp and were disappointed they didn't work out. And thats why i'm better at tempering my expectations on smaller skilled players like Tkachev than I was in the past with similar players. However at the same time, I don't think even Schremp or Omark ever showed as much or performed as well with the Oilers as Tkachev has done during his short time here at camp.

To be fair, Omark should have broke camp with a spot that year and Paajarvi should have gone to the AHL.
Also it's not like either of them were complete busts, At 114 games, I think even Schremp covered the bet, and Omark definitely covered his as a 4th rounder. They didn't pan out to be what some people thought they could be, but those expectations seemed unrealistic even at the time.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Oilers do have a window where they are the only team that can offer him a contract. When that window closes, I don't know. Before the season starts I would think.

I believe it's till Oct 1st. I think Stauffer was mentioning it during the game last night.

Kind of makes sense. It'll be a week before official regular season starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad