Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In Gregor's article, he brought up the hype around Omark and Schremp and how far off they were from meeting our unrealistic expectations. I will count myself in that group that had quite high expectations of Omark and Schremp and were disappointed they didn't work out. And thats why i'm better at tempering my expectations on smaller skilled players like Tkachev than I was in the past with similar players. However at the same time, I don't think even Schremp or Omark ever showed as much or performed as well with the Oilers as Tkachev has done during his short time here at camp.

He is much smaller than both guys but he has something that they didn't. He knows exactly how long to hold onto the puck to make a play and not a fraction of a second more or less. All it takes is for one of these types to reach their potential and you won't care about their size.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
To be fair, Omark should have broke camp with a spot that year and Paajarvi should have gone to the AHL.
Also it's not like either of them were complete busts, At 114 games, I think even Schremp covered the bet, and Omark definitely covered his as a 4th rounder. They didn't pan out to be what some people thought they could be, but those expectations seemed unrealistic even at the time.

Rob Schremp was a first round pick.

54 points in 114 NHL games most certainly does not "cover his bet".

Oct 15, 2008
Maybe he's turned a few heads on other teams as well and people have taken notice... and he may have interest from another GM at this point as well.

Just speculation... but his agent no doubt is fishing for interest from multiple places to get the best deal for his client... wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't.

He isnt a free agent. His choices (I believe) are sign with the Oilers or go back into the draft next year. They are likely trying to get the most money but maybe even thinking of if going back into the draft would be in his best interest in regards to location and opportunity with another franchise. Pretty tough to crack our top six the way it is currently configured.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He wasted his talents for sure, but how many picks between 20-30 in any given draft ends up playing more than 100 NHL games? For every player like a Cogliano you get a number of guys that never get much more than a handful of NHL games.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He isnt a free agent. His choices (I believe) are sign with the Oilers or go back into the draft next year. They are likely trying to get the most money but maybe even thinking of if going back into the draft would be in his best interest in regards to location and opportunity with another franchise. Pretty tough to crack our top six the way it is currently configured.

Seeing as how MacT wants to roll with 3 scoring lines he could still be a viable guy here if we trade someone like Purcell.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

Except he can't control who would draft him. Like you said, its not like he's gonna be a free agent and can choose any location he wants with better opportunity. Hopefully he likes his time here and enjoys the company of other Russians like the two Yaks and is a bit grateful to the Oilers for giving him this chance.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

In the 90s, 494 players played over 200 games, only 160 of those were first round picks. Since Schremp was a late round pick (25th) I think that would qualify as covering the bet. He's also only 28, there's still a possibility of him pulling a Len Barrie and coming back and playing for a team down in the dumps, or an expansion team.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He wasted his talents for sure, but how many picks between 20-30 in any given draft ends up playing more than 100 NHL games? For every player like a Cogliano you get a number of guys that never get much more than a handful of NHL games.

A cursory look at the draft from 2000 to 2008 (which puts Schremp's draft at the median) shows that about half the players between 20-30 from that period had/have full time NHL careers. About a quarter are meaningful top-6/top-4/starting Goalie level players.

Regardless of the exact statistics, I have to feel that any first round pick that doesn't have an actual career (500+ games) has to be considered a disappointment.

In the 90s, 494 players played over 200 games, only 160 of those were first round picks. Since Schremp was a late round pick (25th) I think that would qualify as covering the bet. He's also only 28, there's still a possibility of him pulling a Len Barrie and coming back and playing for a team down in the dumps, or an expansion team.

Rob Schremp was not taken in the 1990's.

See above.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I wonder how heavy Tkachev could eventually play at? 170? If he is 140 at 18 it's hard to imagine he will gain 40lbs. Tyler Ennis is only about 160, maybe that's a potential playing weight.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I wonder how heavy Tkachev could eventually play at? 170? If he is 140 at 18 it's hard to imagine he will gain 40lbs. Tyler Ennis is only about 160, maybe that's a potential playing weight.
Just as an anecdote:

I've said this before, but as a junior player at camp as an 18, I was 5'8.5 and 147 pounds(soaking wet), when I came into camp as a 19 year old I was 6 foot, 182. I wasn't eating any more(i had been trying to gain weight since I was 10 years old), and I wasn't working out more often(though I was lifting more), I was just finishing growing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In Gregor's article, he brought up the hype around Omark and Schremp and how far off they were from meeting our unrealistic expectations. I will count myself in that group that had quite high expectations of Omark and Schremp and were disappointed they didn't work out. And thats why i'm better at tempering my expectations on smaller skilled players like Tkachev than I was in the past with similar players. However at the same time, I don't think even Schremp or Omark ever showed as much or performed as well with the Oilers as Tkachev has done during his short time here at camp.
Schremp really did it for me. After seeing him struggle at the NHL level I just couldn't let myself get fooled again, and he was ****ing unreal against the Bears when I saw him. A friend of mine knew Simpson and we sat and talked to him and MacT after the game. Even they were quite pleased with how he could move the puck tape to tape from one end to the other end. After all the skating issues I still didn't think it would matter as a guy that can make that kind of pass should be able to find some sort of roster spot, but we know how that ended.
To be fair, Omark should have broke camp with a spot that year and Paajarvi should have gone to the AHL.
Also it's not like either of them were complete busts, At 114 games, I think even Schremp covered the bet, and Omark definitely covered his as a 4th rounder. They didn't pan out to be what some people thought they could be, but those expectations seemed unrealistic even at the time.
They weren't complete busts when it comes to where they ended up career wise, but when it comes to the hype that surrounded these guys they were complete busts. I don't think the Oilers really regret drafting either guy, but I bet both guys at some point probably will wish they would've listened to the Oiler coaching staff. Unlike Cogliano who didn't listen to the Oilers, they guys eventually never did listen to anyone that was giving them constructive criticism and it cost them more time in the NHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A cursory look at the draft from 2000 to 2008 (which puts Schremp's draft at the median) shows that about half the players between 20-30 from that period had/have full time NHL careers. About a quarter are meaningful top-6/top-4/starting Goalie level players.

Regardless of the exact statistics, I have to feel that any first round pick that doesn't have an actual career (500+ games) has to be considered a disappointment.

Rob Schremp was not taken in the 1990's.

See above.

I agree with this. It's not exactly bad what he accomplished, but at the end of the day if you are okay with draft picks that early in the draft only accomplishing what Schremp did then you probably shouldn't be a GM, scout, advisor etc...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just a guess but I suspect his agent is looking for max signing bonuses for him.

I think you are way, way off. No player who goes undrafted is going to turn around and be looking for bonuses that are usually reserved for the top 5 or so each year a few months later.

I think the only reason they wouldn't sign a contract is if they thought they had a better shot at being drafted next year and don't envision themselves having a spot in this organization long term.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I think you are way, way off. No player who goes undrafted is going to turn around and be looking for bonuses that are usually reserved for the top 5 or so each year a few months later.

I think the only reason they wouldn't sign a contract is if they thought they had a better shot at being drafted next year and don't envision themselves having a spot in this organization long term.
Most signings get signing bonuses not just top 5 sigh. Oh look Hamilton got a 90 g signing bonus http://www.capgeek.com/player/1999 Look at all contract and signing bonuses.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yaks signing bonus was 92,500 the max :laugh: Hamilton 90,000

Oh! You know what, I got confused with what you were arguing.

You're right, he might be looking for the 92k. I misread your first post. I thought you were inferring he would be looking for max ELC bonuses. My mistake.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Schremp really did it for me. After seeing him struggle at the NHL level I just couldn't let myself get fooled again, and he was ****ing unreal against the Bears when I saw him. A friend of mine knew Simpson and we sat and talked to him and MacT after the game. Even they were quite pleased with how he could move the puck tape to tape from one end to the other end. After all the skating issues I still didn't think it would matter as a guy that can make that kind of pass should be able to find some sort of roster spot, but we know how that ended.

They weren't complete busts when it comes to where they ended up career wise, but when it comes to the hype that surrounded these guys they were complete busts. I don't think the Oilers really regret drafting either guy, but I bet both guys at some point probably will wish they would've listened to the Oiler coaching staff. Unlike Cogliano who didn't listen to the Oilers, they guys eventually never did listen to anyone that was giving them constructive criticism and it cost them more time in the NHL.

Schremp I can sort of understand getting hype(145 points and 45 in the playoffs he last year jr.) and people thinking it's realistic, but Omark never made any sense, he was a 4th round pick who had a good year in Sweden and then a middling year in the KHL. Anyone realistically thinking he would light the league on fire wasn't worth talking to. I think most people(not his swedish fans) were just excited with the skill he could bring to what was a horrible last place team. Schremp had a bad attitude and couldn't keep up, Omark actually tried to change, but couldn't put up the offense when he was trying to limit his mistakes.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Oh! You know what, I got confused with what you were arguing.

You're right, he might be looking for the 92k. I misread your first post. I thought you were inferring he would be looking for max ELC bonuses. My mistake.

No prob I just think his agent wants to fill his pockets now.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Most signings get signing bonuses not just top 5 sigh. Oh look Hamilton got a 90 g signing bonus http://www.capgeek.com/player/1999 Look at all contract and signing bonuses.

Curtis Hamilton getting a signing bonus of 90k as a second round pick is pretty different than an undrafted free agent asking for the max. Greg Chase got 90k as well, so I doubt he's going to be asking for anything more than that. I bet he's still weighing options back in Russia.

Eirhead*

I hope we get to see a russian line this preseason: Tkachev - Yakimov - Yakupov

I don't really get why Eakins is hellbent on converting Yakupov to a LW.

oilz89*

He is much smaller than both guys but he has something that they didn't. He knows exactly how long to hold onto the puck to make a play and not a fraction of a second more or less. All it takes is for one of these types to reach their potential and you won't care about their size.

Against preseason competition and intensity. We don't know how he'll be against the actual NHL

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Against preseason competition and intensity. We don't know how he'll be against the actual NHL

Yeah but I don't really see the harm in offering him a contract. It's not like we're locking him in to a roster spot anytime soon, he's probably 2-3 years away easily by which time the team will have a different make up.

He does seem better than a lot of our prospects though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad