Prospect Info: Oilers invite Russian Prospect Vladimir Tkachev to Training Camp

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Kid barely looks 14. He will grow, if he actually looked like a guy closing in on 20 you could argue he'd struggle to get above 160 but a guy who looks like him will get to 160 fully grown pretty much without actively trying to bulk up due to him maturing, he'll add muscle just by being a high level athlete.
He actually look like he could hit a late growth spurt but even if he doesn't he will get bigger and stronger. Obviously not Yakimov big, not even Hall or Yakupov big, but big enough to play in the league IF he has elite skill, quickness and IQ which thus far he seems to have but there's ofc a lot of developing to do before he can be a full time NHLer. At the very least he's probably 3-4 years away from any kind of impact unless his trajectory turns straight up. Could be a well timed skill player addition in a few years when the contract situation might force us to consider moving one of our wingers(when Draisaitls ELC runs out for example).

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Why are we worried about his size? Apparently, lol, none of you guys watched those goof balls that did the Flames game last night against Vancouver. On and on they went about Johnny Hockey being a name that everyone is talking about.

They were stupid enough to say it's about time that they got to brag about their youthful talent instead of listening to everyone talk about Leon. Huh? Being an Oiler fan, I haven't heard anyone tooting his like he is god's gift to hockey.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If he were to re-enter the draft, and lights up junior like a Christmas tree... What round do you guys think he will be drafted in next year?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Only less than 5 days left until October 1st deadline to sign him, should we start getting a bit worried yet?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Only less than 5 days left until October 1st deadline to sign him, should we start getting a bit worried yet?
According to the CBA, as far as I can tell, the deadline to sign him is the beginning of the NHL season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its a win win for the kid so there is really not a big reason for him to sign with Oilers.
He sees Hall, Ebs, Yak, Perron, Pouliot on our wings and knows that he has no chance to make the NHL in near future here..
He will still be making minor leaguer money even if he signs a contract now so why not wait and hopefully get drafted by a team that is hurting for wingers.

After opening some eyes this preseason he might get drafted by a team that can use him right away... WPG or a team like PIT might take a chance as early as 2nd round..

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Its a win win for the kid so there is really not a big reason for him to sign with Oilers.
He sees Hall, Ebs, Yak, Perron, Pouliot on our wings and knows that he has no chance to make the NHL in near future here..
He will still be making minor leaguer money even if he signs a contract now so why not wait and hopefully get drafted by a team that is hurting for wingers.

After opening some eyes this preseason he might get drafted by a team that can use him right away... WPG or a team like PIT might take a chance as early as 2nd round..

As others have mentioned in this thread, a lot can happen in a year that can work against his chances of getting a contract in the future.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
if he puts up good (not great) numbers in the Q, he will be a 5th to 7th round pick next year. A point a game and he might not even get picked.

Tiny Russian overage players are held to a much different standard. This deal will get done. It is the agent's duty to negotiate hard but, at the end of the day, he must get a deal done.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I really hope the Oilers sign this player. He has shown enough to earn that. Yes he is tiny, but has shown the ability to play.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Stauffer on Oilers Now started his program talking briefly about Tkachev.

-Said that the fact that an unsigned junior camp invite has lasted as long as he has in camp should be ample proof that the Oilers have definite interest in the player.

-Also said that fans worried about the Oilers not signing him should relax, and that "these things take time".

He didn't seem worried that the Oilers were going to let him slip away. I guess we'll see in the next 5 days.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

-Said that the fact that an unsigned junior camp invite has lasted as long as he has in camp should be ample proof that the Oilers have definite interest in the player.

-Also said that fans worried about the Oilers not signing him should relax, and that "these things take time".

He didn't seem worried that the Oilers were going to let him slip away. I guess we'll see in the next 5 days.

Thanks for that Digger. I hope that we do sign him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If Tkachev were to turn down a contract with the Oilers, go back to junior and suffer one injury, it could cost him the chance to ever be an NHL prospect. What a contract gives you, really (apart from the minor league salary) is three years worth of try-outs.

If his agent is feeding him that advice, he should talk to Jason Gregor's brother Colin, who turned down a contract after a nice preseason on the basis that he should get a better offer, which never happened.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Kid barely looks 14. He will grow, if he actually looked like a guy closing in on 20 you could argue he'd struggle to get above 160 but a guy who looks like him will get to 160 fully grown pretty much without actively trying to bulk up due to him maturing, he'll add muscle just by being a high level athlete.
He actually look like he could hit a late growth spurt but even if he doesn't he will get bigger and stronger. Obviously not Yakimov big, not even Hall or Yakupov big, but big enough to play in the league IF he has elite skill, quickness and IQ which thus far he seems to have but there's ofc a lot of developing to do before he can be a full time NHLer. At the very least he's probably 3-4 years away from any kind of impact unless his trajectory turns straight up. Could be a well timed skill player addition in a few years when the contract situation might force us to consider moving one of our wingers(when Draisaitls ELC runs out for example).

I too looked like I could have hit a late growth spurt at 18 but I stayed the same height (5'8"). :(

Hopefully his bones are different though lol

Oct 15, 2008

I heard that too. Of course they have interest, they invited him to camp in the first place. And we have all seen how dynamic he has been. So has everyone else. Any idea of whether they sign him or not would be conjecture on my part. It does seem however that an offer was tabled sometime last week. The fact we havent heard anything yet seems to indicate that there is either some negotiating taking place, or the offer wasnt accepted, at least not yet.

Would they turn down a legit offer to go back into the draft? Seems pretty risky to me. I dont think I would do it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
have any other invites on other teams even signed? I don't think so. There is a gentleman's agreement not to poach each other's invites. So... what's the rush?

He might have had an offer already, but it could have been a typical low-ball to get things started with no urgency behind it.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
just seen him in highlights. he looks like a child. like a 13 year old ringer brought up for your travel team. nice play making ability but at that size.. woof... i guess we'll see how it unfolds

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
have any other invites on other teams even signed? I don't think so. There is a gentleman's agreement not to poach each other's invites. So... what's the rush?

He might have had an offer already, but it could have been a typical low-ball to get things started with no urgency behind it.

There's been a few.

Joe Hicketts with Detroit and Alex Gudbranson/Hunter Warner with Minnesota.

Not sure if there's more.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France

The leafs invited and signed Cody Donaghey last week and they returned him to the Quebec Remparts !!

Really, there is no harm signing Tkachev. he, at least, have some value instead of some useless plug in the AHL

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2011
Kinda curious what is going on. Really surprised to hear that there is an offer and the kinks haven't been worked out yet.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
According to the CBA, as far as I can tell, the deadline to sign him is the beginning of the NHL season.

Not sure why Stauffer said till Oct 1st then. I was under the impression he stated that because that would be 1 week before Regular Season begins.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
maybe Tkachev doesn't want to sign yet because we will send him down to the minors as soon as he does.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sign the kid. Better passer than Gagner or Omark. Maybe not Hemsky, but let him develop in junior and the AHL.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Tkachev's main issue isn't his size as much as it is his weight. There are a lot of quality 5'9'' players in this league and I don't see why he couldn't get bulk up with a good training/diet regime.

So obviously everyone is different, but at 18-20 I was 5'9 and about 140lb. Then I started working out quite hard and eating as much as I could to match. I had a free gym membership and access to all the information and supplements a professional athlete would (creatine, l-glutamine before they were commonplace) as my parents worked in the supplement industry. I was new to Calgary and didn't know many people so I had a lot of time and motivation to work out.

For me, the first 2 years I progressed really slowly. I would steadily get stronger but I was still small, no one would guess I worked out like I did. I was lucky if I was 150 after those 2 years. Then finally things started to change for me and by year 3 I was about 165, I eventually peaked at 175 and at that weight, it might sound small compared to hockey players but I was pretty ripped and strong (I could bench 255x8 at one point). But the point is if Tkachev has my body type, and it really looks like he does, it's a hell of a thing to try to break through that barrier where your body accepts your determination to bulk up and it takes incredible determination to do it.

I would bet $1000 that there's no way the guy breaks 175 within 3 years, based on my own personal experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad