Eklund Rumor: Oilers interested in Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That coin flips both ways. Ranger fans overvalue Kreider as well, and I am not knocking him because I like the player and would love for Edmonton to add him. However listening to the fans on here from New York you'd think the guy is s super star in the league. He isn't, but IS a very good player.
Of course they do.

A reasonable return for Kreider is +- a little bit of what Hayes got. A 2nd round pick + a bust isn't going to cut it and I also don't think teams will be ponying up a top prospect either, unless they are getting an extended Kreider.

I would do Puljujarvi + 2 2nds . Gives us Kreider until the trade deadline if he isn’t convince to resigning by then we can flip him for a 1st and a prospect . Trade would only work if NYR think they can fix Puljujarvi and they need the cap space . Edmonton’s would also have to move Gagner but Edmonton would have a decent top 6 with many options

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Kreider RNH Neal

Or

Kreider McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Neal

Or

RNH McDavid Kassian
Kreider Draisaitl Neal

Go back and read the bold very carefully. Then read it again.

Do you see the massive problem with your statement?

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Bakersfield/OKC was a dumpster fire for years but Jay Woodcroft did a hell of a job for us down there, making sure the young guys got to play in key situations and many of them flourished. If that was the case for Hajek then he’ll probably be better for it, even if the stat line was a bit ugly.

It seems that one of the reasons for Hajek’s apparent lack of success in Hartford was that he plays a very simple, structured game of moving the puck up quickly and hanging back for a defensive transition. That worked well in the NHL until he was injured, but the Wolfpack was notorious for having zero defensive structure this past season; their top defenseman, John Gilmour, was essentially a winger.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Kreider + Buch
for
RNH + Poolparty

Proposed it before and will propose again. Fair trade for both sides.

Fair in what way ? Edmonton needs RNH more then an overpaid wing and a soon to be UFA winger . RNH May be over valued by some Oilers fan but he gives us the option of putting Draisaitl and McDavid together and together the form the best 1 2 punch in the NHL . So oilers pass .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No need to trade with oilers and helping them out. 1st + good prospect, otherwise hang up the phone. There is no need to trade Kreider now, deadline brings what we ask.

Let the Oilers suck for another decade.

Have to question your logic .Do you think a non playoff team is giving you a 1st round pick ? You do know a high 1st would help the NYR more then 1 year of Kreider would help the Oilers ?

No need for the Oilers to help the Rangers rebuild with what is likely to be a high first . You go trade him for a late 1st then bookmark this and come back next season and see whom would of been better off .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Same return as Hayes I'd guess, a first and a prospect.
That is at the trade deadline when teams know where they stand going into the post season and only have to take on 25% of the cap hit not counting retention. Now it is when teams have to take on the full salary. Contenders don't have the cap room, and builders aren't really that interested in a pending UFA unless the wheels are greased. Kreider certainly has value but it would most likely need to be a hockey trade with salary going back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That is at the trade deadline when teams know where they stand going into the post season and only have to take on 25% of the cap hit not counting retention. Now it is when teams have to take on the full salary. Contenders don't have the cap room, and builders aren't really that interested in a pending UFA unless the wheels are greased. Kreider certainly has value but it would most likely need to be a hockey trade with salary going back.

if a deal now, you pay for full year but get full year of production
that is a factor

that said, Rangers as I have suggested will continue to shoot for Kreider extension, which obviously ups his value. He will stay, and if moved at all, it will be later in his term.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It really doesn’t.

Well it does, but does it even matter if he's a "rental" or not? The real truth here is that for most teams, Kreider is only a guarantee to wear their jersey for one season. That affects his value, regardless of whether you believe it or not. Nobody is going to trade full value that he would have if signed long term for him based on "we have an entire season to re-sign him". We already know that nobody is rushing to trade a 1st for him. He was being shopped for a 1st on draft day and nobody took the deal. A 2nd and a prospect is probably the best you can hope for. If that isn't good enough, keep him and hope somebody will overpay at the trade deadline. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Reactions: CasusBelli

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
1st + 3rd + Puljujarvi for Kreider?

Where are you getting your value from ? A Cracker Jack box ? Show me 1 trade in the NHL that ever had a non playoff trading what could be a top 10 pick for a rental . Why don't the NYR trade their 1st this year for a rental that will not resign with them ? Oh thats right it a bad thing to do .

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Not saying that Krieder is the right piece although he fits the profile, it another missed opportunity to give McD the wings he needs and roll out a very good 2nd line....it’s a patience thing I guess between a 2 yr and 10 yr rebuild

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And you’re not?

I’ve never heard any of the experts refer to someone with one full year left on his deal as a “rental.”

A pure rental is someone that will not be resigning.Contract length be damn.1 day,1month,6 months or a year and 1/2 .If he is not resigning he is a rental .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not saying that Krieder is the right piece although he fits the profile, it another missed opportunity to give McD the wings he needs and roll out a very good 2nd line....it’s a patience thing I guess between a 2 yr and 10 yr rebuild

Trading away what is likely to be a high pick to have a good 2nd line for 1 year isn't the way to keep McDavid happy . Being in the playoffs year in year out is the way to do that . Look at the upcoming draft . If that pick is top 10 that pick helps more then Kreider . ELC vs Kreider 7 or 8 million contract also lets you add another player .

2 years from now what has more value Kreider playing for anther team or a player on ELC plus the extra cap to add a Hoffman type of player ?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not sure there's a match here honestly. Kreider and McDavid would probably be pretty electric together, but given his contract status and Edmonton not being the type of franchise that can count on UFA's safely re-signing, they reasonably don't want to give up what it'd cost to get him.

member 290103

Oilers should be good on the wings with the addition of Granlund this off season. I'd hold off on adding anyone else - see what sort of magic Granlund and McDavid can weave.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Please for once can we be the team that gets players in their prime years instead of either trading them right as their young awkward years are over (Schultz) or buying them based on a long resume, but declining or about to (Lucic)?

Idk, Getting 1 year of Krieder would be great but the price will be for 1 year plus the advantage in re-signing him. You don't trade for Krieder assuming he's a rental.

Imo just wait out Maroon, Brassard, etc and get a 1 year deal. Spend cap on a power play D, or make a trade for a winger who is 25 at the oldest

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So Puljujarvi and no picks next year? Or did you miss 2020?

I would do Puljujarvi and 2 2nds . No Conditions .

The way I see it if we can not convince him to resign by the trade deadline move him for a late 1st and a prospect . We end up recovering what we traded and had a trial run

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Of course they do.

A reasonable return for Kreider is +- a little bit of what Hayes got. A 2nd round pick + a bust isn't going to cut it and I also don't think teams will be ponying up a top prospect either, unless they are getting an extended Kreider.

Go back and read the bold very carefully. Then read it again.

Do you see the massive problem with your statement?

None ! Kreider is worth a 1st at the deadline . 80% of his salary will be paid . Team load up for the playoffs every year . We seen it over and over .

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I would do Puljujarvi and 2 2nds . No Conditions .

The way I see it if we can not convince him to resign by the trade deadline move him for a late 1st and a prospect . We end up recovering what we traded and had a trial run

None ! Kreider is worth a 1st at the deadline . 80% of his salary will be paid . Team load up for the playoffs every year . We seen it over and over .

So which is it? Does he magically get more for the Oilers just because reasons?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton interested in a top 6 forward.... REALLLLLLHEEEEHEEEELY?
Honestly it's been a long time since I've read anything so obvious.
Does that mean Edmonton is willing to pay the price? I highly doubt it.
Holland is in no rush to spend Edmonton's futures to rush to greatness and a rental isn't a good option for a team that isn't yet slated to make the playoffs.
No ... no. This isn't happening.

Reactions: bernmeister

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm not sure there's a match here honestly. Kreider and McDavid would probably be pretty electric together, but given his contract status and Edmonton not being the type of franchise that can count on UFA's safely re-signing, they reasonably don't want to give up what it'd cost to get him.
Exactly. Kreider would be awesome with McDavid but it’s not worth it for Edmonton because chances are he doesn’t re sign there, and they are likely not a playoff team so a 1st would be a disaster for them. Tough situation for them .

Reactions: CasusBelli

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Exactly. Kreider would be awesome with McDavid but it’s not worth it for Edmonton because chances are he doesn’t re sign there, and they are likely not a playoff team so a 1st would be a disaster for them. Tough situation for them .
There's a slight chance that Kreider would explode with McDavid and be convinced to stay if they gave him a fat contract, which they might whether that's a good idea or not, but I don't think a trade with them is very likely.

Reactions: CasusBelli and BHD

member 290103

Kreider would be redundant with the other additions Holland made this year.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Which is exactly why the Rangers shouldn't be trading him now for a pair of 2nds and Pulju. They can wait for a first or re sign the guy. They don't need to trade him and won't for peanuts.

Trades are risky, if Edm. doesn't think they can re sign him, then they should not be in on Kreider. That factor alone will not decrease the return the Rangers will want/get for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad