Eklund Rumor: Oilers interested in Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If they make a trade for Kreider it will be just another in a long line of purging whatever value the franchise still has.

This post is a show stopper. Time to close this thread. Holland would be nuts to do a 1 year rental. What would the trade do? It doesn't fill their other holes. Will it get them 9th in the West?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Trading away what is likely to be a high pick to have a good 2nd line for 1 year isn't the way to keep McDavid happy . Being in the playoffs year in year out is the way to do that . Look at the upcoming draft . If that pick is top 10 that pick helps more then Kreider . ELC vs Kreider 7 or 8 million contract also lets you add another player .

2 years from now what has more value Kreider playing for anther team or a player on ELC plus the extra cap to add a Hoffman type of player ?
Should have thought of this say 6 years ago

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Have to question your logic .Do you think a non playoff team is giving you a 1st round pick ? You do know a high 1st would help the NYR more then 1 year of Kreider would help the Oilers ?

No need for the Oilers to help the Rangers rebuild with what is likely to be a high first . You go trade him for a late 1st then bookmark this and come back next season and see whom would of been better off .

The Logic is, Kreider is worth what Hayes got. I answered to the ones who claimed he is not worth the 1st and prospect. If Oilers can’t pay that then that is the end of the discussion and at the trade deadline that is what will be paid for Kreider by the team who wants him and it will be a late 1st round pick, not a lottery ticket.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Logic is, Kreider is worth what Hayes got. I answered to the ones who claimed he is not worth the 1st and prospect. If Oilers can’t pay that then that is the end of the discussion and at the trade deadline that is what will be paid for Kreider by the team who wants him and it will be a late 1st round pick, not a lottery ticket.
If Kreider was worth a first to other GMs he would have been traded for one on draft day when they were trying to trade him. There were zero takers. Could he be worth a 1st and a prospect at the deadline? Maybe, only time will tell.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No.

It’s someone obtained at the deadline that has no term left on his deal beyond a playoff run.
It doesn't have to be a deadline deal. That's your opinion and that's fine but there is no prescribed definition for what a rental is. It's usually considered to be a guy brought in to be short term help for the remainder of a year whose contract is expiring and you don't expect to be back once his contract is up. Nowhere is it prescribed that a rental has to be a deadline trade.

Either way, you are nitpicking semantics when it doesn't matter what you label him as. Fact is, a year from now Chris Kreider isn't an Edmonton Oiler, so why would we trade a 1st for him when adding him doesn't make us a contender? Whether you bicker about labeling him a rental or not, that doesn't change.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If Kreider was worth a first to other GMs he would have been traded for one on draft day when they were trying to trade him. There were zero takers. Could he be worth a 1st and a prospect at the deadline? Maybe, only time will tell.
Vetted posters on the Rangers board suggested that Kreider might be traded to Colorado for the 16th overall. Newhook dropped and the Avs made the right decision to go with Newhook over trading that pick for Kreider.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kreider is basically this year's Evander Kane. Kane had one 30G season prior to his trade to SJ which Kreider never has done but Kreider has hit 20+ the last 4/5 years (and the one he didn't he would have but that bad injury). So Kreider is a little more consistent but hasn't hit the high notes of Kane.

With that said it would be a 1st (top 3 protected), Pool Party, and another lower prospect or pick, similar to the Kane deal.

Is it the right time for the Oilers to do this deal? Maybe. They can always flip him at the deadline for an equal or maybe slightly greater haul if McDavid enhances his numbers. They need a boost and want to make the playoffs.

Kreider is a prime deadline candidate if his production doesn't improve. He'll have PP time as the goalie screener with Panarin/Ziba/Trouba and probably mostly Buch and occasionally Kakko/Kravstov/Chytil.

He'd be perfect for Colorado and put them over the top.

The Rangers have said at this point he'll be at camp so a trade isn't likely.

They'll have some other UFAs like Namestnikov who is going to be dealt, Fast who I and Rangers fans love but may be priced out (thank you Jim Benning and Lou Lamareillo for ridiculous terms to 4th liners lol) and Strome who I doubt will be qualified at his price so that money may be used to give Kredier a $2 million bump. Beleskey is also off the books.

Reactions: egelband

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kreider is basically this year's Evander Kane. Kane had one 30G season prior to his trade to SJ which Kreider never has done but Kreider has hit 20+ the last 4/5 years (and the one he didn't he would have but that bad injury). So Kreider is a little more consistent but hasn't hit the high notes of Kane.

With that said it would be a 1st (top 3 protected), Pool Party, and another lower prospect or pick, similar to the Kane deal.

Is it the right time for the Oilers to do this deal? Maybe. They can always flip him at the deadline for an equal or maybe slightly greater haul if McDavid enhances his numbers. They need a boost and want to make the playoffs.

Kreider is a prime deadline candidate if his production doesn't improve. He'll have PP time as the goalie screener with Panarin/Ziba/Trouba and probably mostly Buch and occasionally Kakko/Kravstov/Chytil.

He'd be perfect for Colorado and put them over the top.

The Rangers have said at this point he'll be at camp so a trade isn't likely.

They'll have some other UFAs like Namestnikov who is going to be dealt, Fast who I and Rangers fans love but may be priced out (thank you Jim Benning and Lou Lamareillo for ridiculous terms to 4th liners lol) and Strome who I doubt will be qualified at his price so that money may be used to give Kredier a $2 million bump. Beleskey is also off the books.
If it was going to be similar to the Kane deal, then why didn't any GM's take him on draft day when he was being shopped for a first?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If it was going to be similar to the Kane deal, then why didn't any GM's take him on draft day when he was being shopped for a first?
Because that's dumb when you can't even talk extensions until July 1st. It's been rumored NYR still don't know his asking price.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is seriously an awful question.

Most of the teams picking in the top-15 aren't contenders. They're picking there for a reason, and a pending UFA they can't discuss an extension with makes it a terrible risk for them.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Vetted posters on the Rangers board suggested that Kreider might be traded to Colorado for the 16th overall. Newhook dropped and the Avs made the right decision to go with Newhook over trading that pick for Kreider.

Colorado will have cap room and this might be a strong possibility this season. They are a goalie away from being a serious contender.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Because draft day prices do not equal deadline prices especially with a lower cap ceiling than expected.
That is a reason Kreider's value goes down, though. They have to get rid of someone to fit the RFAs and it means resigning him (for a cap limited competitive team) will be even harder with a lower salary cap.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That is a reason Kreider's value goes down, though. They have to get rid of someone to fit the RFAs and it means resigning him (for a cap limited competitive team) will be even harder with a lower salary cap.

Which is why he was hard to trade at a time on the calendar when no one is playing. Come March there will be a bidding war.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It doesn't have to be a deadline deal. That's your opinion and that's fine but there is no prescribed definition for what a rental is. It's usually considered to be a guy brought in to be short term help for the remainder of a year whose contract is expiring and you don't expect to be back once his contract is up. Nowhere is it prescribed that a rental has to be a deadline trade.

Either way, you are nitpicking semantics when it doesn't matter what you label him as. Fact is, a year from now Chris Kreider isn't an Edmonton Oiler, so why would we trade a 1st for him when adding him doesn't make us a contender? Whether you bicker about labeling him a rental or not, that doesn't change.

So basically you go from telling me that he’s a rental, to now claiming there’s no exact definition. I’m somehow nitpicking semantics (which I’m actually not) but you weren’t doing the same exact thing by arguing it (which you were) any point in this thread.

K.

As for that last part, I never said anything about him making the Oilers a contender. Would he help? Absolutely, no matter if you slot him with McDavid or with RNH. To what extent? I couldn’t tell you. The game is played on ice, not on paper.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They don’t have the cap space to make it work, and it seems unlikely he’d stay in Edmonton long term. This rumor never made much sense to start.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

The experts all came out and said that Sakic and Gorton were talking and Gorton wanted the 16th overall, but Sakic didn’t want to do it when Newhook fell.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The experts all came out and said that Sakic and Gorton were talking and Gorton wanted the 16th overall, but Sakic didn’t want to do it when Newhook fell.
Seider and Knight being picked early bumped Newhook further down than most people expected, so I can’t fault Sakic for making that logical pick.

Would have been nice though! :(

Reactions: One Winged Angel

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This post is a show stopper. Time to close this thread. Holland would be nuts to do a 1 year rental. What would the trade do? It doesn't fill their other holes. Will it get them 9th in the West?

The oilers have nothing good that they can trade...they can only do the junk for junk deals...they can't trade their precious 1st pick or their top 6 since they only have 3. Their prospects are full of busts and their defense is shaky. Poor Holland is in a tough spot

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Don't we all go through this pretty much every deadline.......so and so is worth a 1st+.....no, yes, no....and usually it is yes.

Kreider is not an exception. If the Rangers actually move him, they will get what they want or they won't move him.
I would surmise a whole season of Kreider should be worth more than 25+ games of Kreider......but that does not include the desperation factored into playoff bound teams that drives prices up.

Reactions: egelband

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So basically you go from telling me that he’s a rental, to now claiming there’s no exact definition. I’m somehow nitpicking semantics (which I’m actually not) but you weren’t doing the same exact thing by arguing it (which you were) any point in this thread.

K.

As for that last part, I never said anything about him making the Oilers a contender. Would he help? Absolutely, no matter if you slot him with McDavid or with RNH. To what extent? I couldn’t tell you. The game is played on ice, not on paper.
I've hardly been in this discussion at all but yes, I think that he does count as a rental. You disagree, but ultimately, it doesn't matter much. And yes, you are nitpicking, and have chosen an awfully odd hill to die on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Don't we all go through this pretty much every deadline.......so and so is worth a 1st+.....no, yes, no....and usually it is yes.

Kreider is not an exception. If the Rangers actually move him, they will get what they want or they won't move him.
I would surmise a whole season of Kreider should be worth more than 25+ games of Kreider......but that does not include the desperation factored into playoff bound teams that drives prices up.
You have to factor in the desperation though. Kreider will go for more at the deadline than he would have at the draft or today, even though it is illogical.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The oilers have nothing good that they can trade...they can only do the junk for junk deals...they can't trade their precious 1st pick or their top 6 since they only have 3. Their prospects are full of busts and their defense is shaky. Poor Holland is in a tough spot

I really believe he can dig EDM out, but not for a few years. Fans are going to go nutso having to wait ("wasted years with the best player in hockey"), but that is what their franchise did to them. It's a good thing McD is signed for a long time, but I really hope the fans can wait.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You have to factor in the desperation though. Kreider will go for more at the deadline than he would have at the draft or today, even though it is illogical.

Understood, but I do think his value now is good. There is no reason for NY to move him now if they intend to move him. They will get more at the deadline because of that desperation and competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad