Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Change is good. I just want a top 5 PP. There's no reason not to be with McDavid and Draisaitl on 1 unit.
meh, neither mcdavid nor draisatl have shown to be that amazing on the PP. Both are good 5v5, but their PP skills are seemingly below average at this point in their careers. Lots to work on but i'm sure they will get there

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It's gonna be weird to have Gulutzan behind the Oilers bench, but it'll be 10 times better than watching Woodcroft get into a player's ear after any play that involved the puck. I have a hard time believing Woodcroft is going to help any players move onto the NHL unless it's motivating them to get away from him. I am excited to see what Yawney and Viveiros can bring though, even if it's just a different voice sometimes that makes a big difference.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Aside from liking all 3 of these additions I really like the fact that the Flames will be paying Gulutzan to beat them next season. :nod:

I wonder how the rules work for that. Pretty sure the Flames don't pay him his entire salary, they just have to make up the difference between what he makes with the Oilers and what he would be making with the Flames. What's to stop the Oilers from paying GG $50K per and sticking it to the Flames that much more?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder how the rules work for that. Pretty sure the Flames don't pay him his entire salary, they just have to make up the difference between what he makes with the Oilers and what he would be making with the Flames. What's to stop the Oilers from paying GG $50K per and sticking it to the Flames that much more?

I am pretty sure if you are still under contract (and the team releases you) then the team is obligated to pay out that contract.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm that.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I love the Yawney and Viveiros signings. Especially if we draft a defenseman in June. I think Klefbom and Nurse can take huge strides with Yawney and Viveiros will definitely be an upgrade on Woodcroft.

Not sure how I feel about GG though.

Reactions: PulYou

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I am pretty sure if you are still under contract (and the team releases you) then the team is obligated to pay out that contract.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm that.
Once you sign a new contract, your old one is void.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
are you sure? I thought shoop was correct and flames have to pay the difference, if there is one.

Yeah. That doesn't make sense. Gulutzan must have been making at least a million as head coach of the Flames. Why would he take the Oilers job and a huge pay cut?

Matty tweeted that when Eakins went to the Anaheim AHL team that the Ducks were paying 'part' of his Oilers salary. Don't think they would do that if his Oilers contract was voided.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah. That doesn't make sense. Gulutzan must have been making at least a million as head coach of the Flames. Why would he take the Oilers job and a huge pay cut?

Matty tweeted that when Eakins went to the Anaheim AHL team that the Ducks were paying 'part' of his Oilers salary. Don't think they would do that if his Oilers contract was voided.

based on the Eakins situation, I think it is a case of paying the difference. If Eakins was guaranteed 2M from us, and his AHL salary was 500k, the Oilers were still on the hook for 1.5M a year. likey the same with GG and the flames.

Reactions: shoop

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Gulutzan's PKs have been good or middle of the pack everywhere he's gone in the NHL, as head coach in Dallas/Calgary and the penalty kill coach in Vancouver for two seasons.

Dallas: 82.8% (13th) & 81.0% (17th)
Vancouver: 85.7% (2nd) & 81.1% (T-17th)
Calgary: 81.6% (12th) & 81.8% (T-7th)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
meh, neither mcdavid nor draisatl have shown to be that amazing on the PP. Both are good 5v5, but their PP skills are seemingly below average at this point in their careers. Lots to work on but i'm sure they will get there

McDavid is "good" at 5v5?

Statistically, compared to his peers, he had one of the best 5v5 seasons of the last 25 years.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McDavid is "good" at 5v5?

Statistically, compared to his peers, he had one of the best 5v5 season of the last 25 years.

Yep... and still didn't get any Hart recognition (which was ridiculous).

We all saw 1st hand how stupid the writers idiotic rule of "has to make the playoffs to be nominated" is when all 3 of Kopitar/Hall/MacKinnon were golfing a few hours after they made the playoffs.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Or lets hope the team returns to their 103 point form and makes the playoffs?

People that hope the team struggles arent real fans.
I disagree. I cheered for the team to struggle because the coaching was so deficient that I felt unless the team failed as badly as they did, that there wouldn't be any coaching changes and the team wouldn't be put in a position to improve due to poor coaching. I understand what you are trying to so though. But I disagree because I want to see Improvement and with coaching the only way things we're going to change that needed to change was if the oilers really struggled...which is what happened. Unfortunately, I feel Tmacs contract saved him from a firing, which doesn't help in my opibion

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
zp5o6E3.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There were whispers that the Oilers spent big money to get these guys. I wonder if Gulutzan and Yawney are making more than some head coaches?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I disagree. I cheered for the team to struggle because the coaching was so deficient that I felt unless the team failed as badly as they did, that there wouldn't be any coaching changes and the team wouldn't be put in a position to improve due to poor coaching. I understand what you are trying to so though. But I disagree because I want to see Improvement and with coaching the only way things we're going to change that needed to change was if the oilers really struggled...which is what happened. Unfortunately, I feel Tmacs contract saved him from a firing, which doesn't help in my opibion

The problem with hoping the team struggles for a coaching change is that there is zero guarantee that the next coach will be any better. So are you going to just keep hoping for terrible teams? You must’ve been in your glory for about a decade.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad