Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He was consistently given jobs even though he never had on ice success anywhere in any of his previous positions.

He then joined the Oilers management as a development coach. On August 3, 2007, he was named head coach of the Oilers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Springfield Falcons, and guided the team to a 35–35–10 record, the team's first .500 season since 1998–99. Buchberger then was promoted to the Edmonton Oilers during the 2008 offseason, becoming an assistant coach with them.

I do find this funny. How back in the day it was promotion to go from head coach of AHL to assistant of NHL. Woodcroft however does the opposite and it's deemed a promotion
Those were scary days when they were grooming Buchberger to be head coach of the Oilers.

Reactions: Summary and TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Those were scary days when they were grooming Buchberger to be head coach of the Oilers.
I kept hearing guys like him and such, but at the end of the day he wasn't getting any results.

Which was scary when Rocky Thompson was getting the same type of reviews. Although with Thompson slowly you had people from outside of Edmonton giving him credit not just local guys

Reactions: Summary

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I kept hearing guys like him and such, but at the end of the day he wasn't getting any results.

Which was scary when Rocky Thompson was getting the same type of reviews. Although with Thompson slowly you had people from outside of Edmonton giving him credit not just local guys
The PR department was working overtime back in those days. Everything associated with the team was “great”. I think the guy a couple posts above me is still working for them.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't regret bringing Viveiros onboard, but I think Weight would of made a good PP coach, not sure he'd be willing to accept that role off of just being an NHL head coach, but if he was fired sooner I would of offered it to him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What was the Ken Hitchcock talk I heard about? Something about an advisor role? Not sure if it was something in the works or something Struds was suggesting,

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't regret bringing Viveiros onboard, but I think Weight would of made a good PP coach, not sure he'd be willing to accept that role off of just being an NHL head coach, but if he was fired sooner I would of offered it to him.

id rather have manny vivvs myself. Weight chose not to come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad