Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
zp5o6E3.gif
I've never seen a more intense fist bump

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
McDavid is "good" at 5v5?

Statistically, compared to his peers, he had one of the best 5v5 seasons of the last 25 years.

Further to this: The most 5v5 points since 1996. Only Jaromir Jagr (x2) and Henrik Sedin (in his hart winning supernova season) had more than 80 EVS points in a season in the last 20 years. Crosby's never done it. Malkin has never done it. Ovechkin has never done it.

He's the best 5v5 forward in the NHL by a lot.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Further to this: The most 5v5 points since 1996. Only Jaromir Jagr (x2) and Henrik Sedin (in his hart winning supernova season) had more than 80 EVS points in a season in the last 20 years. Crosby's never done it. Malkin has never done it. Ovechkin has never done it.

He's the best 5v5 forward in the NHL by a lot.
He can’t be that great, he never draws any penalties.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
The problem with hoping the team struggles for a coaching change is that there is zero guarantee that the next coach will be any better. So are you going to just keep hoping for terrible teams? You must’ve been in your glory for about a decade.

I didn't enjoy cheering for them to lose...it was terrible terrible hockey. I have stopped watching for the most part. This coming from a person who watched every game I could for the last 20 plus years. To me it was clear the coaching was a big part of the issue. And if they were close to getting into the playoffs than the entire staff may have continued on...that to me just wasn't good enough...and unfortunately in the NHL, a team needs to really struggle to get the coaches replaced. I don't think it is wrong of me to identify how poorly they were coached and support the means necessary to demand change. You are right in the respect of not knowing of of the next coach will he any better. But settling with something that clearly doesn't work isn't something I really actively do in any part of life. I try to be solution oriented. It isn't my fault that the coaches couldn't get the job done and that I recognized it. I want the team to be successful, I am not a Tmac fan, I am an Edmonton oiler fan. I want the team to do what they need to do to be successful. And last year's coaches clearly didn't have the answers they needed.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Eakins was likely that guy on HFOil who had all those long rambling complex technical manifestos on new wave stats and schemes and how they would/could change the NHL once they were implemented... remember that guy?

Reactions: McThome

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really can't remember where, but I read somewhere that our PK finished 2nd or 3rd in a stretch towards the end of the year.

Anyone else hear this?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that it was that high, but I know it had a significant bump down the stretch.
I really can't remember what I was reading yesterday evening, to even try find that article again.

Edit:
They were dead-last overall until the last three months when they were No.2, changing things up under Jim Johnson

From the Journal app, but it was Matheson. Plus maybe I misunderstood. Is he saying Jim Johnson is our #2?

Last edited:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Really can't remember where, but I read somewhere that our PK finished 2nd or 3rd in a stretch towards the end of the year.

Anyone else hear this?

Yes, our home PK started to look like our road PK. There was a 10 game stretch where they let only 2PPG in or something like that.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I really can't remember what I was reading yesterday evening, to even try find that article again.

Edit:
They were dead-last overall until the last three months when they were No.2, changing things up under Jim Johnson

From the Journal app, but it was Matheson. Plus maybe I misunderstood. Is he saying Jim Johnson is our #2?

But who does #2 work for?

Reactions: The Nuge

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Don't know their rank, but from game 57 onwards they were 65 for 71 (91.5) percent and scored 3 shorties in that time. In other words in the last 71 attempts their PK unit was outscored by the oppositions PP by only 3 goals. That's pretty solid over a 26 game stretch.

The main difference being that the home PK only allowed 2 goals against in their final 13 home games as opposed to the 38 in the previous 28 home games, with the last before this stretch being the 3-4 Panther PP on Feb. 12.

The road PK was pretty consistent all year as it typically only allowed 3-5 GA in the road portion of any 20 game segment and going 111 for 128 (86.7%).

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Kurt Leavins, who writes for Staples' blog and was bang on about the coaching situation and new assistants, said he "knows for a fact" that the PK was taken away from Johnson at the end of January or early February.

At The Cult of Hockey: Coaching changes are imminent behind the Edmonton Oilers bench

My guess is Johnson lost the PK after it went 1-for-4 in the blowout loss vs Buffalo on January 23rd (Game #48).

With Johnson (first 48 games)
Overall: 110-for-154 (71.4%), 31st overall
At Home: 39-for-72 (54.2%), 31st overall

Without Johnson (last 34 games)
Overall: 78-for-91 (85.7%), 2nd overall
At Home: 38-for-45 (84.4%), 8th overall

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess I question why someone who actually watches the practices on a daily basis never has said this. Seems a bit odd.

If Johnson was dismissed from his PK duties that's pretty hard to hide in this city

I mean it makes sense, but seems odd. Was that around the time where TM gave it a test drive for a few practices?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I guess I question why someone who actually watches the practices on a daily basis never has said this. Seems a bit odd.

If Johnson was dismissed from his PK duties that's pretty hard to hide in this city

I mean it makes sense, but seems odd. Was that around the time where TM gave it a test drive for a few practices?
McLellan was running it in practice, at least temporarily, at the end of December. It went 4-for-9 over the next two games (the back-to-back 5-0 home losses vs Winnipeg & Los Angeles).

Someone would have to go through the game tapes to confirm but I would guess the PK drastically improved once they dumped the ridiculous T-formation that was leaving at least one shooter wide open for a one-timer.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kurt Leavins, who writes for Staples' blog and was bang on about the coaching situation and new assistants, said he "knows for a fact" that the PK was taken away from Johnson at the end of January or early February.

At The Cult of Hockey: Coaching changes are imminent behind the Edmonton Oilers bench

My guess is Johnson lost the PK after it went 1-for-4 in the blowout loss vs Buffalo on January 23rd (Game #48).

With Johnson (first 48 games)
Overall: 110-for-154 (71.4%), 31st overall
At Home: 39-for-72 (54.2%), 31st overall

Without Johnson (last 34 games)
Overall: 78-for-91 (85.7%), 2nd overall
At Home: 38-for-45 (84.4%), 8th overall

The PK clearly looked better to me in the 2nd half of the season but these numbers are simply stunning.

If I put myself in McLellans shoes....he has an Assistant Coach running the PK...its a problem....the AC says he will sort it out....McLellan gives him as much time as possible to do that and then ultimately he has to step in.
One could argue that he gave Johnson too much rope but at no time did TMac ever throw Johnson under the bus.
Not even when the season ended.

So lets extend this into next season. If the Oilers make no personnel changes (hopefully they do) approx how many points would an improved PK provide? Based on how many games last season the PK was direcdtly responsible for a loss I think 7-8 more wins isnt all that unreasonable.

So even with all of the defensive breakdowns....lazy play...suspect goal-tending at times...injuries...they still could have been on the cusp of a playoff spot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The PK clearly looked better to me in the 2nd half of the season but these numbers are simply stunning.

If I put myself in McLellans shoes....he has an Assistant Coach running the PK...its a problem....the AC says he will sort it out....McLellan gives him as much time as possible to do that and then ultimately he has to step in.
One could argue that he gave Johnson too much rope but at no time did TMac ever throw Johnson under the bus.
Not even when the season ended.

So lets extend this into next season. If the Oilers make no personnel changes (hopefully they do) approx how many points would an improved PK provide? Based on how many games last season the PK was direcdtly responsible for a loss I think 7-8 more wins isnt all that unreasonable.

So even with all of the defensive breakdowns....lazy play...suspect goal-tending at times...injuries...they still could have been on the cusp of a playoff spot.
I was a hater all season and was adamant that this team is a decade away from anything. To be honest, we really aren't.

Looking at the numbers, a fixed PK and PP to even league average would of moves us up at least 6 wins which would of only out us 5 points out of a wildcard spot.

So really a healthy Sekera, Klefbom and maybe one more top 6 winger and the Oilers could be right there. Still a decent distance away from being a threat but we aren't really as bad as I thought.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad