Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

giphy.gif

Reactions: nabob

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
why why why?

OBC cockroaches remain

For as long as we have Katz as an owner we're going to have these guys around. I can live with Coffey being a part time guy who flies down once every month or two and gives some "wisdom" and then f***s off back to Toronto the rest of the time.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Hope it works.

The coming down for the 3rd thing might have something to do with our inability to play a full 60 minutes.
How many times did we see Jekyll and Hyde last year not just game-to-game, but period-to-period.

Viveiros is touted as a positive energy guy apparently, maybe they want the between period injection of positivity to close out games, protect leads, push harder when trailing, that kind of thing. And lessons learned on opposition over the 1st two periods from overhead view to make proper adjustments instead of hoping the outcome just happens.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
For as long as we have Katz as an owner we're going to have these guys around. I can live with Coffey being a part time guy who flies down once every month or two and gives some "wisdom" and then ****s off back to Toronto the rest of the time.
oh I get it, just weird
fly in every 10th game, gets on the ice for a practice or 2, says a few words to the defencemen, then f***s off for another 2 weeks lol

it's Katz' money so he can pay him for it...but odd to say the least

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
oh I get it, just weird
fly in every 10th game, gets on the ice for a practice or 2, says a few words to the defencemen, then ****s off for another 2 weeks lol

it's Katz' money so he can pay him for it...but odd to say the least

He's watching game tape back home, so I would assume he's sending some notes to the coaching staffs between those trips too.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That whole coming down for the third seems odd.
Maybe a bit. I wonder if it was one of the stipulations for Manny to come. Wants to be on an NHL coaching staff, but doesn't want to be off the bench entirely. I can't imagine being the "eye in the sky" coach is great for future career potential.

I imagine it's sold as provides feedback to McLellan during the 1st two periods and in the final period can come down and speak to the players directly about adjustments they can be making in game based on what he's seen in the 1st two periods.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yeah, I don't get that either. Seems weird to me. Does any other team do a similar thing?
I can't recall seeing another team do a similar thing, but the man upstairs generally just relays info on how the other team is deploying and gives that info to the bench so they can make adjustments, I guess the feeling is that the adjustments should of been made by the 3rd period and he doesn't have much value staying up there cause you aren't going to be fundamentally changing your strategy in the middle of the 3rd period. The guy up top often makes the call as to whether or not the play should be challenged (having the benefit of the big monitors), so someone will need to fill in that role when he comes down.

By and large I am happy with the coaching changes given the names that were realistically available. The only two coaching positions I'm not thrilled about it, is Woodcroft as the AHL head coach and Dustin Schwartz as the goalie coach.

Is Coffey still a part-timer? I know it sounded like he was pre-dominantly coaching his kids team before and just swinging by in his downtime to help with skills coaching.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
GG and MannyV I'm 60/40 positive about, but I think bringing in Yawney is going to be a huge win. I'm really looking forward to see what he can do to improve the games of the young dmen here:

Nurse
Benning
Klefbom

And even the kids trying to make the big club:

Bear
Jones
Mantha (assuming his eye injury clears up)
Lagesson

One thing's for sure...if the Oilers stumble again next year, I don't expect it'll be these new assistants that are going to feel the heat. It'll be everyone else (players/head coach/management) around them.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad