Post-Game Talk: Oilers go Super Fly and win 5-3

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'll admit, I really didn't want to see the Oilers bring back Gryba this year. However, I was really happy with how he played in a third pairing role. As long as they keep him on the third pairing and under 18 minutes a night, I think he'll have a good year and provide solid depth for us.

Agreed, he's physical and a good penalty killer. I have no problem with him and Nurse on our 3rd pairing. We have good balance with our D.

We have our Swedes locking down the first pair.

On our 2nd pairing we have undersized, but slick skating puck movers with Sekera and Russell. Their styles mesh well, but are good skaters and can read the ice well.

On our 3rd pairing we have two beasts in Gryba and Nurse who can physically impose themselves and kill penalties.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's just another Scrivens really.

I said as much when the Flames traded for him. He's marginally an upgrade and doesn't have the STL defense/systems in front of him.

I distinctly remember the Oilers torching this guy on several occasions prior to being a Blue.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Soon the league will be full of small, fast defenceman to counter Mcdavid.

Thing is it doesnt matter how fast the dman is. This game is played with gap control as a dman. Connor is so fast when he gets the puck that dmen can play like they do with every other player in the league. Dmen can usually force people to the outside, but Connor just blows right by them. They have to think the game faster then Connor, cause when he gets the puck hes already thought about what they are going to do before they do it. Unprecedented really.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I was at this game. With about a minute left, Gryba absolutely nailed Tkachuk with a nasty cross check to the back. I don't think it was on camera because I saw no mention of it in the game thread. The refs didn't see it and the Flames fans around me were just howling about it.

Excellent. I have no sympathy for a player who slewfooted someone and drove his head into the ice while injured...then took a cheapshot at a defender with 10 seconds left.

That's why guys like Gryba are still important in this league.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Thing is it doesnt matter how fast the dman is. This game is played with gap control as a dman. Connor is so fast when he gets the puck that dmen can play like they do with every other player in the league. Dmen can usually force people to the outside, but Connor just blows right by them. They have to think the game faster then Connor, cause when he gets the puck hes already thought about what they are going to do before they do it. Unprecedented really.

Yea, for sure. I hope Connor keeps working on his shot. Dmen are going to be giving up bigger and bigger gaps. Should have plenty of time to dial up a snipe.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I said as much when the Flames traded for him. He's marginally an upgrade and doesn't have the STL defense/systems in front of him.

I distinctly remember the Oilers torching this guy on several occasions prior to being a Blue.

Flames simply aren't that great defensively either, even the year they made the playoffs I'd watch their games and while entertaining, it was basically fire wagon hockey where they left their goalie on an island many times.

Which would've worked great on the old Oilers still (Flames still forecheck hard), problem is now we have McDavid and if they want to play fire wagon back-and-forth style they are going to get themselves into big trouble against us. Our D don't make as many braindead mistakes anymore either for them to capitalize on.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I don't think that a focus on individual, underperforming players is at all helpful when you're playing games like the Oilers' have been. You stress continuity, building on what you have, team defense and responsibility. You keep RNH exactly where he is and you let him grow into the most effective player he can be in that role. Doesn't matter what his salary is or what his "potential" is or once was.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Nhl.com says Larsson had zero hits last night. Was the stats guy sleeping or in the bathroom or something.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Flames simply aren't that great defensively either, even the year they made the playoffs I'd watch their games and while entertaining, it was basically fire wagon hockey where they left their goalie on an island many times.

Which would've worked great on the old Oilers still (Flames still forecheck hard), problem is now we have McDavid and if they want to play fire wagon back-and-forth style they are going to get themselves into big trouble against us.

Flames D is a powerhouse on paper. Outhouse on ice. Has been for 2 years

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They also got had by the blues lol. Armstrong's is just laughing. Should be charged with fraud for selling ellio77 as a starting goalie

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Someone mentioned in the season opener that Calgary's d-man all turned around the moment they saw McDavid with the puck. You ain't catching him skating backwards so might as well just turn around already and try your best skating forwards...which opens up opportunities for McDavid since back is now turned.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Someone mentioned in the season opener that Calgary's d-man all turned around the moment they saw McDavid with the puck. You ain't catching him skating backwards so might as well just turn around already and try your best skating forwards...which opens up opportunities for McDavid since back is now turned.

Yup they have to, and it will be every dman unless they can think faster then Connor and beat him to the puck that hes getting with speed. I say that, then I think about how good he is with his stick, so chances are he just chips it past and goes for a skate anyways lol

Every coach teaches kids the old button hook "get puck with speed" Connor executes it to a T. Its actually unbelievable.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Re-watched some of the game last night.

Gulutzan's system is VERY similar to Eakins' old swarm strategy. Watch how many Flames skaters attack the puck, leaving the weak side and middle WIDE OPEN if a pass gets through. I wonder how long it'll take before everyone clues in on this. It's quite frankly disturbing that another coach would try something that was obviously a huge failure at the NHL level.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Flames D is a powerhouse on paper. Outhouse on ice. Has been for 2 years

I think it only stood out because of Giordano's Norris-level shortened season. I was never really impressed with their D roster TBH

They also got had by the blues lol. Armstrong's is just laughing. Should be charged with fraud for selling ellio77 as a starting goalie

To be fair, he let in ONLY 6 and 4 goals the last 2 games:sarcasm:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Teams used to have to play Gretzky this way, which is why those who only ever saw him via highlight reels believe defense as a whole was **** in the 80s. In reality, that was the only way you could hope to contain him.

However, what truly set 99 apart was how he used the guys behind him. McDavid has to teach his linemates how to work with him in that respect; Eberle, Lucic, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi etc. have to know that when he draws double-coverage, they need to get open. Like Gretzky, McDavid has the vision and passing ability to feed them even through two sets of legs, but they have to be ready and in position.

I partially think that's why 97 has been so aggressive to start the year; that strategy doesn't work if the other team doesn't think you can score, but now that he's ventilated an experienced group in two straight outings using his speed and shot, coaches and players will take notice and defend him accordingly. That creates so many more opportunities for his linemates and makes the unit as a whole more dangerous.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Have to say I was very impressed with Eberle last night and I am usually down on him for his lack of effort and commitment. He made a few good defensive plays, had his feet moving all game and was creating chances and drawing penalties. Great game from him imo. Also Larsson and Russell are awesome. That number 97 is pretty good to, didn't catch his name though.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Gryba looked solid yesterday. He definitely shouldn't see the minors again this year. I'd send down Fayne before Gryba. I also think it would be hard to change the D lineup for Buffalo after yesterday's game.
Funny that Flames coaching change mirrors the Krueger - Eakins situation. Fire a solid coach to go with a rookie unknown. I guess the only learning piece for the Flames was that they didn't fire Hartnell on Skype.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yup they have to, and it will be every dman unless they can think faster then Connor and beat him to the puck that hes getting with speed. I say that, then I think about how good he is with his stick, so chances are he just chips it past and goes for a skate anyways lol

Every coach teaches kids the old button hook "get puck with speed" Connor executes it to a T. Its actually unbelievable.

That move McDavid did the first game where he pulled from outside and almost scored [and then Eberle missed it with the puck in the crease]...we're gonna be seeing a lot of that.

The breakaway I mean...hopefully not the Eberle flub:laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Re-watched some of the game last night.

Gulutzan's system is VERY similar to Eakins' old swarm strategy. Watch how many Flames skaters attack the puck, leaving the weak side and middle WIDE OPEN if a pass gets through. I wonder how long it'll take before everyone clues in on this. It's quite frankly disturbing that another coach would try something that was obviously a huge failure at the NHL level.

The pk is eerily similar. Against even at average pp it's going to get torched

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

ksIcgKN.gif

In other news, http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/flames-sign-mccollum-to-two-year-two-way-contract
Saved!!!:sarcasm:

Troy Brouwer even called McDavid "the best player in the world" in the post-game......wow, I guess this how Pens fans felt 10-11 years ago when Crosby was taking off.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid....it almost seems a little unfair that these two franchises have split between them half of all generational talents in NHL history.

I'd be seething if I weren't a fan of one of these teams. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad