Post-Game Talk: Oilers go Super Fly and win 5-3

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Unrelated to everything, I really hope this brings the Kings bad juju all season long:

kingsPNG_v81nz40yvf.png

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Unrelated to everything, I really hope this brings the Kings bad juju all season long:

kingsPNG_v81nz40yvf.png

Unbelievable.

That and the 50yrs ago Jerseys they forced the Kings to wear in first home game did some kind of juju.

Kings played as bad as when they entered the league. Which I actually remember....:help:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Tip of the hat to Eberle for the heavy stick, Smyth style to score the PP.

And Drai had 2 guys trying to move him out of the crease as well :D

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Anyone else going to be watching the Canucks Flames game tonight to get a first row view of the melt down?

You know it. Hahaha I love how hfoil is all on the same page now. We all despise the flames , we're all happy and we all want the Nucks to rekt the flames. ABC is my motto. cheering for the Nucks tonight

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Tip of the hat to Eberle for the heavy stick, Smyth style to score the PP.

And Drai had 2 guys trying to move him out of the crease as well :D

Drai and Eberle both with solid efforts on that working around the net. Drai got two knocks at it then Eberle was able to push it across goal line.

Would be really nice to see Caggiula draw in for Lander. We need that sparkplug in our bottom-6 who can counter some of that adversity we endured in the 1st period.

Also, Benning or Oesterle in place of Gryba please. We're playing against a north-south Eastern team and- as shorthanded as they are- will make us pay if we don't have strong outlet passing skills on all three pairings.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
A true test will come when we face a team with solid D and G, against which is unlikely we score as many goals as we scored against Calgary. That would probably be St. Louis on Thursday. I think we really need to tighten up defensively, and Talbot needs to be better. We won't get very far if we allow 3-4 goals a game. The first two games may look as if the 80s are back, but they are not.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A true test will come when we face a team with solid D and G, against which is unlikely we score as many goals as we scored against Calgary. That would probably be St. Louis on Thursday. I think we really need to tighten up defensively, and Talbot needs to be better. We won't get very far if we allow 3-4 goals a game. The first two games may look as if the 80s are back, but they are not.

STL will for sure be the test. We don't know anything about how the team stacks up until then.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

St. Louis is probably the toughest match up for us (was brutal getting them twice right off the bat last year), so I still expect some struggles there with them. We're better this year but it's not like we're suddenly an upper echelon Western Conference team overnight (though hey I won't complain about being wrong on that).

If we lose against St. Louis it should also be put into perspective. The Blues are a good bet to come out of the West.

The Calgary games matter though ... pretty much no Western Conference team has owned us as badly as the Flames have over the last 3-4 years, sadly, so beating them twice in a row says something.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Thing that can legit happen this year: Eberle could score 40.

He's consistently managed ~25 on bad teams with far lesser centers. Had a big buy-in game last night.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
You know it. Hahaha I love how hfoil is all on the same page now. We all despise the flames , we're all happy and we all want the Nucks to rekt the flames. ABC is my motto. cheering for the Nucks tonight

Anytime a rival is on the verge of complete meltdown it's a beauty to watch. I'll be posting about that game in this thread later. If we don't hit 1000

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To add further to what me and Digger12 are saying about Gulutzan = Eakins, go over to the Flames website and listen to his post-game press conference. Dude sounds exactly like Eakins, both in terms of diction and context. He even has the stylin' hair to go along with it. :sarcasm:

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

If we could move to, middle of the pack western team, and start counting on points against weaker teams like Calgary (seem to be in a nose dive), Buffalo, Vancouver and others then I can handle losses to the well organized contenders.

Not expecting a win against St. Louis, though if it is a respectable game and we still find out offence then I'l be happy. A win and I'll be ecstatic.

St. Louis is probably the toughest match up for us (was brutal getting them twice right off the bat last year), so I still expect some struggles there with them. We're better this year but it's not like we're suddenly an upper echelon Western Conference team overnight (though hey I won't complain about being wrong on that).

If we lose against St. Louis it should also be put into perspective. The Blues are a good bet to come out of the West.

The Calgary games matter though ... pretty much no Western Conference team has owned us as badly as the Flames have over the last 3-4 years, sadly, so beating them twice in a row says something.

Having Lucic, Pouliot, Kassian, Maroon, and Puljujarvi in our top-9 forward ranks finally allows us to play the grinding game that they will force us to revert to.

Having that grit element with Larsson and Russell on the back-end helps as well. I would even add Gryba back there for the game.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
To add further to what me and Digger12 are saying about Gulutzan = Eakins, go over to the Flames website and listen to his post-game press conference. Dude sounds exactly like Eakins, both in terms of diction and context. He even has the stylin' hair to go along with it. :sarcasm:

Nobody is as bad as Eakins.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I lampooned him yesterday along with other posters doing it. Another guys so full of bs that its obvious.

"We're gonna hack at the GA, hack at the GA."

"Theres one puck and whaddya gonna do to get it"

Man, even if all this stuff was delivered in Al Pacino tone its all just hubris.

I wonder how much in modern times that the empty barrel full of themselves just get hired on the basis of ability to self promote (and nothing else)

Tub thumping Trumping. Its all it is.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton

Of course, and perhaps more importantly than being able to beat the big boys NOW, is to consistently defeat the teams that are supposed to be weaker than us. In that respect, the game against Buffalo tomorrow is a different kind of test.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nobody is as bad as Eakins.

There is a chance that Gulutzan might end up in that category by the end of this season, if he's even allowed to go that far. I don't think Ken King is as forgiving as Darryl Katz. :laugh:

I lampooned him yesterday along with other posters doing it. Another guys so full of bs that its obvious.

"We're gonna hack at the GA, hack at the GA."

"Theres one puck and whaddya gonna do to get it"

Man, even if all this stuff was delivered in Al Pacino tone its all just hubris.

I wonder how much in modern times that the empty barrel full of themselves just get hired on the basis of ability to self promote (and nothing else)

Tub thumping Trumping. Its all it is.

Replaying Eakins' and Gulutzan's speeches in Pacino tone in my head now... this is hilarious. :laugh:

"Chop WOOD! Carry WATER!!!"

But seriously, Gulutzan is basically Eakins version 2. I'm surprised Burke and co. fell for it. Although Burke and Lowe aren't really that different from each other either. :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think St. Louis, Minnesota (bleh), Nashville, Washington, Chicago I think are the toughest match ups for us.

I think we may have finally (freaking) turned the corner against the Flames and we are better against Vancouver than a few years ago too but they still give us a tough game usually.

San Jose is good but we've played better against them for the last little while. LA I don't dread any more.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
There is a chance that Gulutzan might end up in that category by the end of this season, if he's even allowed to go that far. I don't think Ken King is as forgiving as Darryl Katz. :laugh:

Replaying Eakins' and Gulutzan's speeches in Pacino tone in my head now... this is hilarious. :laugh:

"Chop WOOD! Carry WATER!!!"

But seriously, Gulutzan is basically Eakins version 2. I'm surprised Burke and co. fell for it. Although Burke and Lowe aren't really that different from each other either. :laugh:

I'm experiencing some serious PTSD watching him speak :help:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The fall of Dennis Wideman has been a quick one.

But in all seriousness, this team's got some things to fix despite being 2-0. We're not going to be putting up a five spot every night.

...and Poo, wake the **** up!! Where's your game from the preseason?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Brian Elliott GAA 5.08 SV% .818 :laugh:

The NHL's best Defence gave up how many breakaways last night?...5?

and here I thought the Flames were the next Blackhawks......Definitely cheering for the Canucks tonight...bury CGY, and I hope they stay there....and then lose the draft lottery.

How does it work again...

JH = Kane
Monahan = Toews
Giordano/Brodie/Kylington = Keith/Keith-in-making

:laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How does it work again...

JH = Kane
Monahan = Toews
Giordano/Brodie/Kylington = Keith/Keith-in-making

:laugh:

I think Giordano was supposed to be Seabrook and Brodie = Keith, at some point Hiller was supposed to be Crawford too. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad