Post-Game Talk: Oilers go Super Fly and win 5-3

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Hits are a weird stat. I think to get credited for an actual hit you have to separate the man from the puck. If he's dished it off and you finish your check, it doesn't get recorded as a hit. But I might be wrong.

That cant be right, 90% of matt martins hits are finishing his check after the player moves the puck, and he always leads the league in hits.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That cant be right, 90% of matt martins hits are finishing his check after the player moves the puck, and he always leads the league in hits.

:laugh: the very first thing I thought as I was reading that was "that can't be right. I don't think Matt Martin has ever actually managed to hit someone when they still have the puck". I guess I'm not the only one who's noticed it

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
You guys whooped us pretty good, no question. I don't think you got anywhere close to our best game from our players, especially in transition and on defence being that we're not fully caught up on our systems yet. Then you add in playing a guy with McDavid's speed the first 2 games, well he really exposed that weakness.

I'm not an Oilers fan, in fact I hate your team lol. But I love hockey, and I love our rivalry, I enjoy getting to watch McDavid play as much as I do, it was odd seeing your team win the physical game, and seeing your defence being competent. You guys won the Hall/Larsson deal and I said so from day 1. FWIW, I don't see how you don't make the playoffs this year.

Anyways, I look forward to some exciting hockey and hopefully the good guys get the next win. ;)

Respect for a level headed flame fan. I feel the same.i hope our rivalry is sparked again here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Hit stats, much like give away/take away stats are heavily influenced by the building teams play in. Some buildings are far more lenient in what they count. Some buildings have a bias one way or the other.

Most of the real-time stats are just completely bogus. Not nearly enough uniformity in how they're recorded.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I was at this game. With about a minute left, Gryba absolutely nailed Tkachuk with a nasty cross check to the back. I don't think it was on camera because I saw no mention of it in the game thread. The refs didn't see it and the Flames fans around me were just howling about it.

That's awesome. Good job, Grybber.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Cheers guys! I also said on our board that since I've been watching hockey around the mid 80's, that McDavid is the best player I've seen since Mario. In our fantasy league I traded Tavares for him and I'm sure glad I did. His speed blows my mind, he's honestly at level where you cannot stop or contain him like Michael Jordan. He's the perfect mix of premier athletic ability, elite hockey sense and a high level of dedication. As a hockey fan, I appreciate what I'm seeing before my eyes. I also think he's going to make our players on the Flames better by having to elevate their games so it's a win all around in my eyes. He's the guy I'll love to hate more than anyone in the league.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Cheers guys! I also said on our board that since I've been watching hockey around the mid 80's, that McDavid is the best player I've seen since Mario. In our fantasy league I traded Tavares for him and I'm sure glad I did. His speed blows my mind, he's honestly at level where you cannot stop or contain him like Michael Jordan. He's the perfect mix of premier athletic ability, elite hockey sense and a high level of dedication. As a hockey fan, I appreciate what I'm seeing before my eyes. I also think he's going to make our players on the Flames better by having to elevate their games so it's a win all around in my eyes. He's the guy I'll love to hate more than anyone in the league.

I seen some of your comments, you seem like a passionate hockey fan and good guy I'd probably chirp then end up having a beer with at a hockey game. I can relate to you.

He's pretty special eh? You can hate us but appreciate how talented McDavid is. I think very highly of Brodie, guys a stud.

Still hate you though ;).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I seen some of your comments, you seem like a passionate hockey fan and good guy I'd probably chirp then end up having a beer with at a hockey game. I can relate to you.

He's pretty special eh? You can hate us but appreciate how talented McDavid is. I think very highly of Brodie, guys a stud.

When I was about 12-18 years old, I remember watching Gretzky, Mario and Michael Jordan. It was a special era in sports and I absolutely took it for granted. When I watch McDavid play now, I get that same feeling that I haven't had for about 10-12 years. I also think rivalries are what make sports, it makes the fans more passionate, wins more sweet, losses more hated, it's good for the sport and I was genuinely happy that if we weren't getting McJesus that you guys got him because I knew what it would do for the BoA. I get to see McDavid play way more with you guys than I would have in Buffalo.

Gretz and Mess also made the Flames better in their era. The Flames would not have won their Cup if they didn't learn to play to a level where they had to beat the great Oilers, so I'm hoping that Connor transcends the sport and does that for Calgary again. And yeah when the Flames win, chirping will be that much sweeter haha.

I try to be level headed, I'm happy the Oilers have a high caliber team again and I look forward to watching some of the best hockey played between our teams in over a decade. With that said, you guys can suck it! :laugh:

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I love how the picture of Johnny Ringette I took of my TV has taken off and become a Meme.:laugh:

Today I woke up and was still pumped about our win last night and am looking very much forward to tomorrow's game vs Buffalo.:handclap:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com

I would gladly trade any of our defencemen for Brodie. He is the most underrated player in the NHL.

He has been carrying Gio for the last year

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I would gladly trade any of our defencemen for Brodie. He is the most underrated player in the NHL.

He has been carrying Gio for the last year

Brodie is the best player CGY has. All the attention goes to little Johnny, but I think Brodie is by far their best player.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When I was about 12-18 years old, I remember watching Gretzky, Mario and Michael Jordan. It was a special era in sports and I absolutely took it for granted. When I watch McDavid play now, I get that same feeling that I haven't had for about 10-12 years. I also think rivalries are what make sports, it makes the fans more passionate, wins more sweet, losses more hated, it's good for the sport and I was genuinely happy that if we weren't getting McJesus that you guys got him because I knew what it would do for the BoA. I get to see McDavid play way more with you guys than I would have in Buffalo.

Gretz and Mess also made the Flames better in their era. The Flames would not have won their Cup if they didn't learn to play to a level where they had to beat the great Oilers, so I'm hoping that Connor transcends the sport and does that for Calgary again. And yeah when the Flames win, chirping will be that much sweeter haha.

I try to be level headed, I'm happy the Oilers have a high caliber team again and I look forward to watching some of the best hockey played between our teams in over a decade. With that said, you guys can suck it! :laugh:

Damnit, you're too reasonable. It's hard not to like you :laugh:.

Glad you enjoy McDavid, he's unprecedented. I've seen Gretz and Mario live and they didn't have the speed and puck control at jaw dropping speeds McDavid has. Even Bure wasn't as fast, he certainly didn't have the same puck control as McDavid does when he winds it up.

"When the Flames win"? Sorry pal, we own you now. Those days are finished, we're going to crush you from here on out. If you do get lucky, I expect the trash talk. It wouldn't be right if you didn't talk ****. It's our time now, we've taken your guys crap for too long. Our turn to dish it, let's see how tough you guys really are.

We've got some fierce games ahead, can't wait to continue thrashing you guys :cheers:.

tbaz

Nov 20, 2011
It is RussellMania on Calgary radio.

For some reason I wasn't done felling that winning feeling for the Oilers, I found myself listening to Calgary 960 post game and listening to all the fans cry as they think their ship is sinking. I think one grown man started to cry for real. Thank you Blue!!, Was a long time coming for redemption over last years season ending loss.

Anyone know what the Gash on Mcdavid's face was all about? I missed it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For some reason I wasn't done felling that winning feeling for the Oilers, I found myself listening to Calgary 960 post game and listening to all the fans cry as they think their ship is sinking. I think one grown man started to cry for real. Thank you Blue!!, Was a long time coming for redemption over last years season ending loss.

Inadvertent high stick from Brodie. Should have been a double minor but the refs missed it.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Inadvertent high stick from Brodie. Should have been a double minor but the refs missed it.

The best part was when he came back from getting stitches, you can audibly hear Elliot yell "McDavid's back!". How often is one player such a threat that a goalie needs to inform his team that player has returned to the game?

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008

Overtime last night was delicious. Indeed, there was a fan who was rather shaken and sobbing.

Their tears sustain me.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:laugh:

Not so tough after all eh? Punch them in the mouth and they fold the tent.

The Flames are a pretty small team and not all that tough. I thought they were aiming for truculence, not suckulence.

They actually kinda seem like the Oilers of a few years ago. A couple good forwards and not much else up front.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Flames are a pretty small team and not all that tough. I thought they were aiming for truculence, not suckulence.

They actually kinda seem like the Oilers of a few years ago. A couple good forwards and not much else up front.

For how much crap we've been dished from Flames fans, seems like they're pretty quick to break.

Can dish it but can't take it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad