Post-Game Talk: Oilers don't win yet again, management content to eat ass.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Katz's family will be the most hated family in the city if this happens. Hope he is aware of this and that he won't be able to show his face much like pocklington
Doesn't he already spend 99% of his time in Los Angeles anyway?

He got what he wanted out of Edmonton and is reclusive to begin with so he's probably more than fine with hiding out in SoCal for the rest of his days.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Rishaug whining about the goalie (more than fair), and defending the coach as if he’s not a problem at all is peak Oilers media

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Katz's family will be the most hated family in the city if this happens. Hope he is aware of this and that he won't be able to show his face much like pocklington
Like most owners of teams in cities where its absolutely drab to live in most of the year, he doesn't live here.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Nah, sure helps though

Quenneville was never really propped up by good goaltending. They also never really had a 2C any of their cup years. Good coaches can get around less than ideal lineups

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
This jersey toss thing is a nothingburger. Do people think Canucks or Leafs players are going to leave after they tossed jerseys? The players probably care less about that than the most loyal fans

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I watched a bit of this team last night and the biggest thing that stuck out to me was how easy we are to play against.

When we aren't using the skill of Drai or McDavid to fly around the o-zone, we are very easy to push around. We don't finish checks, we don't get the puck in deep and put bodies on the defencemen.

A good team, even in losing, takes something from their opponent. That is not the case for this Oilers team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nah, sure helps though

Quenneville was never really propped up by good goaltending. They also never really had a 2C any of their cup years. Good coaches can get around less than ideal lineups

Crawford was an excellent goalie. He might not be a Vezina caliber goalie but he was good enough to win 3 Cups. Chicago would be getting eliminated in the first round every year if they had Koskinen level goaltending.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You could make a case that someone like Markstrom would've saved 3 out of 6 goals today, but when the D plays so poorly, letting players shoot from grade a+ positions, you don't get far.
People say that the players don't have confidence in the goalie and that's why they don't score, but why no one never says that maybe the goalie plays like absolute shit, because the team can't score and the D won't help him at all? It can go both ways. If I knew that every night I have absolutely no help from the D or Forwards, I'd probably suck too.

Teams like Florida and Colorado and Canes have had many games where they are losing by many goals and still manage to rally and win. Coaching, figthing mentality, leadership.
I'm not trying to make a case for Koskinen being falsely accused, because he sucks, but people thinking that goalie change would fix most of this are wrong imo.

This is the cumulative effect of three years of consistently, inconsistent play by Koskinen at the game's most important position. It isn't a one-off that can be pointed to in which blame attributed throughout the lineup. Last night, this specific game was lost when this team overwhelmed the road team in the first period and could not beat a top end goaltender. Florida weathered the storm and then got a soft goal behind the elephant in the room. It's a repeating pattern for three years and over time has corroded this team's confidence, resiliency and belief in this critical position.

No team overcomes losing its #1 goalie (really a 2B) for all but 4 games and keeps its head above water. But a steady diet of Koskinen who can show NHL goaltending ability but breaks down consistently for bad goals per game, especially the first goal when this is a league where the average is north of 70% first goal wins, and it erodes to a situation like last night, where the Oilers showed up, dominated play, gave up the first goal and had their spirit broken at both ends - stoned by a white hot top league goaltender while their own tender, protected by his team's domination possession wise, gave up the first one. Repeat pattern over this season, last season and the one before. Goaltending has sucked the belief out of an okay, not great team.

Not sure if you're a passerby making observations on one game or a long-standing poster and Oiler fan. Reading your post, I'm inclined to think the former and that's okay but diagnosing this team is multiple years in the making for most on here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To become the greatest at anything, there has to be a serious level of naivety and delusion accompanying the athlete, or musician, or writer, or whatever ... until it becomes clear that Greatness is true.

The deluded 'I can do anything' attitude is NECESSARY for Greatness to be achieved. A bit of a paradox.

It seems like McDavid has lost that naivety. Not in terms of his personal talent. He is the best hockey player I have ever watched. Rather, in the team. He realizes now that there is literally no amount of Greatness in one man that can save this franchise. He has given us his greatest effort. He has done everything in his power. He has done more than any man on earth could possibly EVER do to will this team into Greatness itself ... and it fell flat.

The naivety is gone. The harsh realization has clearly set in. Would you take a step back and re-evaluate your position if you were him? I think I could include Draisaitl in this all the same. The delusions that allowed them to be the very best have shattered. Just like we killed Hall and a litany of other former first rounders. Nobody withstands breaking in this organization. I feel very sad for them. They deserve better.
You could actually see this happening at the beginning of December. I initially blamed it on the frustration over officiating because it came on the heels of them calling out the league and being punished for it. That it never ended made me worried it was much more and possibly what you’re suggesting.
I never believed the possibility of McDavid or Draisaitl asking for a trade was likely but this stretch has changed my mind. Good luck to the organization selling those grossly overpriced tickets to anyone after that happens.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hey, where's all the smart prognosticators that thought they had the funny feeling we'd win last night?;) You just know they'd be throwin' it out there is the Oil had come through.:D

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hey, where's all the smart prognosticators that thought they had the funny feeling we'd win last night?;) You just know they'd be throwin' it out there is the Oil had come through.:D
I only said it because it would produce a placebo effect and make management think everything was okay, not because I had any actual faith in the team.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
BRAD MALONE?! Season is on the edge of being completely lost and we’re either in California or negotiating a contract with Brad f***ing Malone.

Reactions: oobga

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
If you think Koskinen is the reason why this team is shit, you are wrong.
He is absolutely putrid but so is the D and forwards right now.
Coach too. And Gm.
Probably the owner as well.
Agreed. It’s top to bottom. Even McDavid has been a. Complete no show lately. Everyone is at fault. This entire organization is a joke. Players seem unmotivated and don’t care. They came out absolutely flying and it seemed as soon as Florida went up 2-0 the Oilers just sat back and accepted defeat. Kosk needs to go. I just knew he would give up the first softie like that. It all starts with goaltending

we were out shooting them 16-7 or something and Bob kept them in it. If we had a goalie that could keep us in games when we are being out shot, we would win a hell of a lot more games. Yes you’re right, it’s the entire team but goaltending has been an issue with this franchise for a long long time and needs to be addressed

By the way, how the hell does Tippett still have a job today???

Reactions: GigaChad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad