Post-Game Talk: Oilers don't win yet again, management content to eat ass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I guess you liked the team defence you saw last night a lot? We would have a few more points with better goaltending, but we'd still be pretty far from winning the division.

They had bad defence last year and the year before too, what you think they played perfect and never gave up 5 bell chances?

Mike Smith just made saves which kept their confidence high.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Great, if I wanted to read about the Islanders I'd go to your board. How about you take a hike back there before I give you a helping hand.
My bad. I thought I was on the main boards. I'll discuss your team's situation there. Thanks.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Eichel hasn't even played a game for VGK yet so the jury is still out on that trade. But a couple examples off the top of my head are the Hall trade and the Seguin trade (both made by the same terrible GM). There are many more pre-cap examples.

There are other ways to get cap flexibility for this team besides trading McDavid. If you want to clear salary then you start with overpaid players like Koskinen, Kassian, Turris, Keith, and Barrie. You don't start with your franchise superstar.
Both like you just said were made by the same terrible GM. The Duchene deal is one where it really worked out for Colorado, a competent GM at the helm, obviously Jury still out on the Eichel trade but Tuch is a very very good, young, player who is signed to a great contract, not to mention the other pieces. Vegas may win a cup with Eichel but I do think Buffalo will be a better team without him and with those other pieces going forward

I don’t trust Holland to make that trade obviously, but I do think a competent GM could make this team better with a Mcdavid trade

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
The Isles actually have a legitimate (excusable) reason for their losses. The Oilers don't. And that team is still actually trying to make the playoffs. That's all I can ask as a fan. That's what winning teams do. No excuses. It's all about attitude. Those players need a kick in their pants. They're the most immature bunch playing on the ice today. That interview by Draisatl was embarrassing and totally immature. No Isle player would get away with that. They would have been benched by Lou and Trotz for their lack of professionalism. "Oh you know everything". What BS! That team lacks on ice leadership. A bunch of spoiled brats running the show.

Your GM tried to build a team to win games 1-0 and they can't even score the 1 goal.

Your team sucks, Edmonton has flaws but if they play their cards right, there is a way to fix things. The Islanders are capped out with no real player to move the needle.

Wouldn't have an issue with someone pointing out the shittyness of our team if they didn't cheer for a dumpster fire of their own.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I was being a bit sarcastic. They'll skip the talent that's there in front of them for an over the hill "name-brand" coach like a Vigneault, Babcock, Tortorella, etc.

Yeah I know. The only coach I'm really interested in is Trotz. I'll settle for Gully or Woodcroft if he doesn't get fired, which I'm sure will be the case.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This team won’t get their swagger back until we get a different goalie. It doesn’t even have to be a good one, just someone that isn’t Koskinen.

We played our best 1st period of the year and were stonewalled by Bobrovsky. The second period was pretty even and we go down 2-0 with both goals being stoppable. The third goal was a bad goal and after that moment the team just quit. If our 1st is what it takes to get a good goalie then you do it to turn the season around but Holland has to do it now or the season is going to be over.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
This man gets it.

Thanks. I'm wasn't intending in any way to shit on you guys, your fanbase or your team; I used to be a mod on a team board on this site long ago and I was a bulldog toward outsiders that even remotely appeared to be trolling. :laugh:

I'm as pro-rebuild as anyone on this site, but if you have multiple elite young players in their mid-20's prime, you no longer can afford to wait forever for prospects to develop to fill all your holes: you have to give these elite players a good reason to give up unrestricted free agency, and the best way to do that (besides paying them, of course) is for the team to be competitive. Drafting and development is always of supreme importance but a team now needs to be active in the trade and UFA market in order to address their weaknesses. I think the same thing applies for many teams around the league, not just the Oilers; it just happens that the Oilers have probably the two best players in the world at this time and the situation is magnified as a result. For better or for worse, your timeline does change when you have players like that. Not an Avs fan but Colorado, for example, has been trying to find a goaltending answer while they have Kadri (expires after this year) and MacKinnon (expires the year after) under very team-friendly cap hits. Wallstedt does nothing for them, either.

Does he though? The last goalie the Oilers successfully drafted and developed was Grant Fuhr.

Let's be real, we need to start over... again.

I'm not saying you don't need to draft and develop a goalie; you should literally always be stressing drafting and development as top priorities. I'm saying that the presence or absence of goalie prospects that are not yet NHL ready does nothing for you guys at this moment.

The poster said that we needed a goaltender now, not wait years for Wallstedt. He was 100% right. Even if we drafted Wallstedt as our goalie of the future, we needed to add a legitimate quality starter before the season started. He was bang on.

Exactly. Even if you drafted Wallstedt you'd still have just as big a need in goal now as you did before. He might be the answer later but he sure isn't the answer now while Connor and Leon are in their prime.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yeah I know. The only coach I'm really interested in is Trotz. I'll settle for Gully or Woodcroft if he doesn't get fired, which I'm sure will be the case.

Honestly I think the internal case is the best one. Woodcroft has done enough to earn the job. Bring him up to work with Gully to finish the season, and then let him pick his assistants in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad