Post-Game Talk: Oilers don't win yet again, management content to eat ass.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They'd still be well into the negatives for goal differential at 5v5 with average goaltending because their offense has been non-existent.

One piece isn't changing this team.

Disagree. This team, when healthy, is a one that has enough talent to fight for a wildcard. It's not the special teams hype job to start the season and it's not the cellar dweller the past month and change. No team weathers the loss of its lead tender for all but four games, and, at best Smith is a 2B. But kick out that leg and riding Koskinen while praying a developing AHL tender that pull a Billington is Hail Mary country. The worst save percentage in the league.

Holland bet on the patchwork goaltender approach and it has unravelled in spectacular fashion leading an epic collapse at the most critical position on the ice. Posters here tried in the past to make comparisons to Markstrom and Koskinen having similar SV% which was dubious then and laughable now. Holland's gamble on status quo in net undermines everything though this was always still a threadbare team across all areas.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I've been counting down the days until they waived Turris' useless ass and now I care so little about this team that I can't even enjoy it.
Honestly as bad as Turris is it can’t get any worse than last night. At least the last two games Turris played he came close to goals by hitting the cross bar not once but twice! I would have taken him in the lineup last night. What the hell did anyone else do in the bottom 6 after the first period.

Yes we peppered Bob with shots but 90 percent of them weren’t quality shots. He had to make a couple dandy’s but this team is just junk from top to bottom. I would say “don’t give up” but it’s hard to say that when the team itself seems to have given up.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Rishaug on TSN really going on about "relationships" and "respect" as to why Tippett hasn't been fired yet. And also threw in how Holland feels that a big part of it is failing to bring in a goalie (no shit). This is how bad organizations are run, sentimentality and dragging feet when it's been recognized that things aren't working.

You're a nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? f*** you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here? Win!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Rishaug on TSN really going on about "relationships" and "respect" as to why Tippett hasn't been fired yet. And also threw in how Holland feels that a big part of it is failing to bring in a goalie (no shit). This is how bad organizations are run, sentimentality and dragging feet when it's been recognized that things aren't working.

You're a nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? f*** you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here? Win!

Basically Oilers to a tee. Not a professionally run organization at all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The one phrase Holland clings to religiously:

"Mike Smith hopes to skate with the team starting next week"

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Fifth fewest goals per game too.

Florida and Colorado have scored more than double the goals the Oilers have since then haha.

This team is built to attack. If they’re worried that their goalie can’t bail them out or make routine saves then they aren’t going to be attacking as much and trying to defend. That’s the reason for less goals, the players aren’t willing to risk being out of position and play a perimeter game in the offensive zone.

Reactions: nuck

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Basically Oilers to a tee. Not a professionally run organization at all.

Indeed. The TSN guy seemed a bit incredulous when he asked Rishaug “why hasn’t Tippett been fired yet”. Rishaug’s answer sounded very much like info straight from the horse’s mouth

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The fact that Tippett isn’t fired yet is so ****ing pathetic.

100 percent not watching the game tomorrow.

What is it going to take? 20 straight losses under Tippett?

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

But if he wins the next one… then somehow everything is better. That’s the real problem

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers as an org had that Vegas squad that made the Finals, they'd have re-signed Neal for 6+ years and locked up the entire roster forever and thought of themselves as geniuses.

This org loses any impartiality when they have even a crumb of success fall into their lap.

So Tippett has to lose apparently 90 games in a row before they can fire him "because he made the playoffs last year tho! That was great times!".

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

Yup, when there's absolutely zero percent chance of getting a wild-card spot, he'll be fired. So then what's the point.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I would feel about firing a friend too….if it meant their paycheck stopped coming. Coaches contracts are good damn guaranteed. He gets paid regardless. Man if I fired my friend and he got to sit and home and do nothing and still make bank he would LOVE me

Reactions: iCanada

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I can’t believe we have to cheer for loses for this GM to fire this coach. The fact that he can’t see how bad he is, is just mind boggling. Holland missed the ideal time- when a new coach can put in his systems- but I didn’t expect anything more. Apathy has set in

Reactions: oil4life97

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I hope the ice is littered with jerseys tomorrow night to send a message.

Reactions: tardigrade81

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
giphy.gif

Im sorry but I burst out laughing at this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad