Oilers Broadcast changes

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
I might be in the minority when I say a) I'll miss Quinn and b) I don't hate Michaels. I really hope the "OILERS radio network" doesn't become the "OILERS television network."

omg I was thinking the same and actually drew a comic on it :laugh:

Play by Play.png

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I think the broadcasts are officially owned by the Oilers Radio Network though where 630 Ched has the rights to broadcast within the Edmonton region. Other stations outside Edmonton also carry games so 630 Ched wouldn't be correct for the other stations.

Oilers Radio Network

Good call. But anyone who is able to automatically go "Oilers Radio Network = 630CHED" is also able to know what station they're on.

Some of the stations drift into other network stations at night, in case there's either no local station, or if it's on an FM station. As well, some of the network stations may be on the interwebs.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

A taste of Cam Moon.

Just listened to the highlights with my screen facing down so that I could imagine how Cam would sound on radio without the visuals...

BOY am I impressed!

This is who the Oilers should've hired in the first place when Rod retired in 2010. Cam's goal call literally sounds like Rod Philips with a younger voice.

And so with one listen, I can practically guarantee that none of us will EVER have to worry about hearing "stuffs it home", "trickles in", or any other vague metaphor when the Oilers get a goal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
For me, Michaels took time getting used to after the great Rod Phillips retired. I never liked the cringy "strokes it in" or oILERS radio network but I can acknowledge that when it comes to calling a game, he is excellent.

Kevin Quinn belongs in the WHL. If you can't distinguish between Matt Benning and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins something is wrong. Or calling the best player in the game "McDavidson." I will not miss Quinn.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'll miss Quinn! I was a fan personally, though Michaels does a great job as well

skeena1

May 15, 2006
...also, with Kevin Quinn, I also believe someone said he actually lives in Calgary and he flew up on game days so maybe he wasn't willing to make a temporary move to Edmonton :dunno:.

Nope. Quinn gets an apartment in Edmonton for the entire season. Not sure where he lives the rest of the time.

Reactions: ujju2 and oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nope. Quinn gets an apartment in Edmonton for the entire season. Not sure where he lives the rest of the time.

Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just curious if you can share how you know. I'm parroting what more than one poster had stated in the past he lives in Calgary and commutes for games in Edmonton.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
I cant stand Remenda, So I'm glad hes done. I could live with Quinn, but Michaels?? Oh man, the guy talks about the actual game like maybe 50%. The rest is obscure facts, that make sort of following the play impossible.

You know bob, Connor likes to have spaghetti for his pregame meal, with believe it or not chickSCORES!. No clue what happened on the previous play.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
While I don't like JM, there's no way he can be worse than Quinn right? :help:

I've been pushing for his removal for YEARS. Absolutely awful.
This is the thing, I don’t hate Quinn and most people do for some reason. Remenda was never really any good.

I am not a Michaels fan, but maybe that’s cause I grew up listening to Rod Phillips, but I don’t care for Michaels Play by Play at all.

People got their wish with Quinn and Remenda gone, and will likely learn that the grass isn’t always greener with Michaels doing it now.

Reactions: 780il and oilers'72

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I know this will be a minority opinion on here, but if Quinn is out I'll miss him.

The guy isn't what he once was but it would be the end of an era for sure.
Dude was atrocious. His voice was annoying, he constantly said a player’s name a million times a second, could never keep up with the play, made tons of mistakes. I can keep going. Dude was so cringe esp his ot calls. If I could avoid it I did. I always listened to opponents broadcast unless I had no choice. Lol.

if JM can keep from screaming and overreacting at times, I think he will be just fine. He’s way more knowledgeable, doesn’t stumble his words every second and can keep up with the play.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At least if Jack is calling a video broadcast then when he goes off on some tangent you can still watch the play. When he did that on the radio sometimes he would be talking for 20 seconds about whatever BS him and Bob were going back and forth about WHILE play was underway, and you would have no clue what was happening on the ice. Sportsnet should also keep Michaels more accountable and on topic with his PBP calls I would think.

Also, I like Cam Moon being added as the radio guy, he'll be much nicer to listen to.
Totally agree. While not a fan of Michaels, at least I can watch what the hell is going on in the actual game if he is allowed and chooses to ramble on about some inane topics. And thankfully, he won't have Stauffer to egg him on and be an enabler.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the thing, I don’t hate Quinn and most people do for some reason. Remenda was never really any good.

I am not a Michaels fan, but maybe that’s cause I grew up listening to Rod Phillips, but I don’t care for Michaels Play by Play at all.

People got their wish with Quinn and Remenda gone, and will likely learn that the grass isn’t always greener with Michaels doing it now.

Quinn gives no relevant information and rarely shuts up. He's like a big noise machine with little signal to noise ration and often getting the players, or players names wrong. He adds nothing to the appreciation of the broadcasts. The worst they have ever had imo. He's incompetent as a broadcaster.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, Quinn was bad. Never mind that his voice and manner of calling the game was a cure for insomnia, he was inaccurate with his calls.

The most cringeworthy moments were when he was sick but still called the game. Hoarse voice, voice breaks, etc.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Really happy for Cam Moon, he's paid his dues. I remember always liking his calls when I used to follow the Rebels more closely. Don't know how I feel about Micheals on TV, hopefully he tunes down his over the top cliches.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Happy for Cam Moon. Grew up in Red Deer listening to him on the rebels... Crazy its almost been 20 years. From what I have heard he has still been great so I will be happy to hear him on Oilers broadcasts.

Not going to lie though. With Covid what are the chances of being somewhere I have to listen on Radio and not watch on tv?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Happy for Cam Moon. Grew up in Red Deer listening to him on the rebels... Crazy its almost been 20 years. From what I have heard he has still been great so I will be happy to hear him on Oilers broadcasts.

Not going to lie though. With Covid what are the chances of being somewhere I have to listen on Radio and not watch on tv?

Depends on how soon Jack starts talking about college football... :sarcasm:

For what it's worth, here's Jack calling a game on TV from 2017 between the Kings and Coyotes.

Without the context of hearing the full game...he sounds a little less distracted than he does with Bob, but it's still not great IMO.

Goal calls:

- 1:40
- 2:07
- 2:30
- 4:49

Feels kind of weird hearing him showing as much emotion for the Kings as he does for the Oilers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad