Oilers Broadcast changes

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Bill Hunter was notoriously cheap, If there was any avoidable expense he wasn't paying it. I still remember greyish looking ice at Edmonton Gardens. Thanks to the other posts we know the NHL introduced in 1950-52. I wonder how long it took for all indoor rinks to be using the ice paint. Makes it look a lot better.

Probably my recollection is wrong. I remember the ice looking pretty shitty at the Old Edmonton Gardens most of the time. but heh, come playoff time there were clouds of cigarette smoke in the place too. Sometimes so bad they had to tell the fans to stop smoking so much because the players were hacking. As a kid I found it pretty hard, I was allergic to smoke.

This got me down history aisle again.

Edmonton Gardens - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

The ice definitely wasn't white the one night back in the WHA days when The San Diego Mariners were in town. The rodeo had been to town the week before, and the plywood or whatever barrier they used back then failed, and there was dirt/shit embedded in and sitting on top of the ice at one end of the rink. Disgusting mess. Think it was about at around 8:30 that they finally sent everybody home and postponed the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The ice definitely wasn't white the one night back in the WHA days when The San Diego Mariners were in town. The rodeo had been to town the week before, and the plywood or whatever barrier they used back then failed, and there was dirt/shit embedded in and sitting on top of the ice at one end of the rink. Disgusting mess. Think it was about at around 8:30 that they finally sent everybody home and postponed the game.

I hated the rodeo for that reason every time it came into town. That didn[t seem to be isolated experience. Woulda been a shitty game..;)

Anybody remember buying a seat that was still available and its right behind a main beam?

lol. The vertical Steel beams were like 2ft wide.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hated the rodeo for that reason every time it came into town. That didn[t seem to be isolated experience. Woulda been a shitty game..;)

Anybody remember buying a seat that was still available and its right behind a main beam?

That was my experience in one of my first times in the old Gardens. Was a little kid, and dad took us to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Despite the restricted view, as a kid it was still a great experience.

Reactions: oilers'72

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I had the same experience going to the old Saskatoon ArenA. Sometimes couldn’t get a seat that had great site lines but then when I did... Joey Kocur, Wendel Clark, Trent Yawney, and Ray Ferraro, Craig Berube , mike Modano, Dave Manson, manny viverois and taking a piss beside Glen Somnor the coach of the Minnesota North Stars who was scouting one night, just so many memories. I miss that shitty barn.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Bill Hunter was notoriously cheap, If there was any avoidable expense he wasn't paying it. I still remember greyish looking ice at Edmonton Gardens. Thanks to the other posts we know the NHL introduced in 1950-52. I wonder how long it took for all indoor rinks to be using the ice paint. Makes it look a lot better.

Probably my recollection is wrong. I remember the ice looking pretty shitty at the Old Edmonton Gardens most of the time. but heh, come playoff time there were clouds of cigarette smoke in the place too. Sometimes so bad they had to tell the fans to stop smoking so much because the players were hacking. As a kid I found it pretty hard, I was allergic to smoke.

This got me down history aisle again.

Edmonton Gardens - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

The thicker the ice is above the white, the duller it will look. NHL ice nowadays is kept about 1/2 inch thick above the white & lines so the white, the lines & the other painted logos & stuff really pops. I'm guessing the Gardens ice was pretty thick back then or maybe too many rodeos.:laugh:

I remember when they used a diesel powered tractor to pull the zamboni around the ice. They encouraged smoking to try to mask the diesel fumes.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The thicker the ice is above the white, the duller it will look. NHL ice nowadays is kept about 1/2 inch thick above the white & lines so the white, the lines & the other painted logos & stuff really pops. I'm guessing the Gardens ice was pretty thick back then or maybe too many rodeos.:laugh:

I remember when they used a diesel powered tractor to pull the zamboni around the ice. They encouraged smoking to try to mask the diesel fumes.
played in arenas like that. A pull behind zamboni, Massey Ferguson tractor we all grabbed a piece of plywood on a push bar and we dry scraped the ice only and might I add the burgers were awesome when mom and thought they could afford to treat us.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
played in arenas like that. A pull behind zamboni, Massey Ferguson tractor we all grabbed a piece of plywood on a push bar and we dry scraped the ice only and might I add the burgers were awesome when mom and thought they could afford to treat us.

Even before the zamboni, for our senior's team games we used to get about 20 guys with big push shovels to scrape the ice & shovel it through a hatch in the boards & then 2 guys would pull around barrels of hot water to flood the ice. Those 2 guys were well respected & minor celebrities in town because of it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Even before the zamboni, for our senior's team games we used to get about 20 guys with big push shovels to scrape the ice & shovel it through a hatch in the boards & then 2 guys would pull around barrels of hot water to flood the ice. Those 2 guys were well respected & minor celebrities in town because of it.
My dad said we got that zamboni about 3 years before the same, they pulled the 45 gallon barrel around. I pity those 2 bastards.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Do you remember the water barrels on wheels that people would cart around the ice prior to zamboni. Crap I feel old..;) Not making it up. They did that. The tractor was hitech heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My dad said we got that zamboni about 3 years before the same, they pulled the 45 gallon barrel around. I pity those 2 bastards.

Sorry I missed your post, I just posted the same thing. I don't think those were all that bad. Big wheels, well enough balance, and you're not holding the weight up. Just a matter of establishing momentum and keeping it going. Couldn't have been easy though doing that on ice though..

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sorry I missed your post, I just posted the same thing. I don't think those were all that bad. Big wheels, well enough balance, and you're not holding the weight up. Just a matter of establishing momentum and keeping it going. Couldn't have been easy though doing that on ice though..
In my town the ex nhlers always got the privilege of hauling that around

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Sounds like Meaghan Mikkelson will be a semi-permanent feature on Oilers broadcasts going forward:

I think she did a pretty good job last night.

Don't worry, if she's on the air long enough, she'll eventually say something hockeywise some posters don't agree with, something a little bit critical of an Oiler player, or something that could be construed as complimentary to an opposition player & she'll become persona non grata at that point.

Reactions: FanOfSadTeam

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Pfffttttt....I learned to skate on a septic field!!!! Taught me quick to not fall.

ROFL

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Don't worry, if she's on the air long enough, she'll eventually say something hockeywise some posters don't agree with, something a little bit critical of an Oiler player, or something that could be construed as complimentary to an opposition player & she'll become persona non grata at that point.

That depends, is she married to anyone in upper management of a key rival?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Didn't realize how old this thread was, but, I guess with Rogers probably treating the Oiler series as a national broadcast, Cam Moon is done for the season, unfortunately.

Reactions: bellagiobob

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Very unfortunate. I really hope the Oilers don't let him go to waste; the quality in broadcast was night and day.

Sounds like no to Cam. Don't care for the polishing of Jack by Kurt Leavins.

"2. Cam Moon wrapped up a successful 1st season as one of the Edmonton Oilers radio play by play man Saturday. Its easy to cheer for Cam. He was a goaltender for the Prince Albert Raiders when I did my first WHL broadcast. Given Jack Michaels impactful transition to television, I expect we’ll hear less of Jack on the radio in the years to come. Too bad for us! But the good news for radio fans is that Moon and Bob Stauffer formed a strong duo while Jack was over on TV. Chemistry matters. And so does Cam’s ability to verbally rise to the occasion at key junctures. But hosts with unique yet complimentary styles are also essential. Listeners need to instantly distinguish one Host from the other and to know what they can consistently expect from each of them. Audiences get all that from Cam & Bob. If the Oilers didn’t already have a multi-year contract with Cam Moon, they should now. You might look long and hard before you find a fit that close to Jack & Bob again. Meanwhile, the venerable pair will call all Oilers games on radio in the 2021 playoffs."

The Edmonton Oilers are going to the Stanley Cup Playoff dance with the goalie who got them here: 9 Things | Edmonton Journal

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad