Oilers battle out a greasy win 3-1!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Need a true #1 or even a #2 Dman to make deft outlet passes. Think back to Pronger and how he could make a great pass within 2 seconds of grabbing the puck, and it would be on the tape and almost never intercepted or turned over by him directly. A trade for Yandle or someone similar would be a God send.

I agree, I still say a deal based around Yandle and Yakupov would be good for both teams as much as posters here won't like it.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Don't know if I agree with the outplayed badly.

Ottawa isn't a very good team either. Agreed there was too much traffic in front of the net, but it is slowly getting better.

Just wish Nuge would learn how to take a faceoff.

You'd think Gordon and Arcobello could drill it into him eventually. They should take an hour a day and just plow it into him.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
MPS was a 4th liner last night. Of course did nothing. Haha, have fun with him, Hitchcock!

Perron probably laid more hits tonight then MPS will all season--it's just not in his game. Not to mention Perron's grittyness. AND he has the talent to be a top 6 guy. Just an awesome, awesome trade. We got SOOO lucky.

I officially have a man-crush on Perron, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :sarcasm:

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
no, nothing medical at all.... i'm just not freaking blind, and can see when a players leg bends the wrong way and he loses all stability in it.... but yeah, i have no authority whatsoever to make this claim, no doubt about that

Im guessing charlie horse, out 7-10 days

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree, I still say a deal based around Yandle and Yakupov would be good for both teams as much as posters here won't like it.

With Eberle back in 'God mode,' I would most certainly pull of a deal involving Yakupov to get Yandle. He would be GREAT for this team, and we'd be moving up the ice from the D-zone a lot sooner in a lot of situations, and have more offensive chances and shots. It all starts in the defensive zone for the most part.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty solid assessment from Joanne Ireland about Dubnyk's game.

What they got in this game was a 35-save performance from goaltender Devan Dubnyk, who shook off some early jitters to lock things down in the net. It was his second notable performance after struggling mightily to start the season.

I'll be interested to see Willis' assessment of Doobie's game. Probably a 7 or an 8. Depends how much he factors in the 'early jitters'.

A lot of positives to take from this game. I don't know if there was anyone I would say played brutal bad. Am I missing someone? :sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll take the W but I have lots of concerns. Zero killer instinct on this club and simply without a clue how to close a game out. PP after PP and two full periods with a 2-0 lead and can't get the 3 goal lead. Worst 5-3 execution I've ever seen in my life.

Dubs is the only reason we're counting a W here.

Going to resist the conventional wisdom here that Nuge played any sort of great game. Don't necessarily agree.
He was largely responsible for the 5 on 3 being **** and how on Earth does an NHL player have their head down entering zone on a 5 on 3 and not even noting he's running directly into the only 3 Sens skaters on the ice. Somebody explain that play to me. Nuge also had two brutal giveaways in while on a different PP. Twice he played the puck up high, it got intercepted and led to Sens scoring chances.

I like Nuges confidence offensively this year, and showing some swagger, but his GA this year is looming large and not entirely by accident.

This team has to learn to seal the deal.

RNH's league worst minus is not an accident. Other than the first game, he has been brutal.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
How was Yak?

Improving. I wouldn't say he was great, but I also wouldn't say he was bad. Pretty solid, over all. He seems to be buying in more to the system, which is good news. I don't recall any bad turnovers, and in the third, instead of trying to beat guys with the puck, he made the smart play and got the puck in deep when there wasn't much time left. Definitely a sign he's buying in, which is certainly good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Don't know if I agree with the outplayed badly.

Ottawa isn't a very good team either. Agreed there was too much traffic in front of the net, but it is slowly getting better.

Just wish Nuge would learn how to take a faceoff.

They were outshot 36-21, outhit 32-16, dominated on the faceoff dot 34-24, the PP was atrocious. Not sure what game you were watching. With a little puck luck, and Dubnyk not playing incredibly, this one is over after the 2nd period. After the same time of game against the Islanders, the overall team play if regressing, no getting better. The only difference in this one was the goaltending and some puck luck. Let's see what happens n Montreal before saying things are getting better.

Koto

May 3, 2011
to my eye yak was a lot better before being scratched...he looks afraid to play now, trying to be so careful.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Bleh.

The only way I deal one of the kids is for a top pairing defenseman who's forte is first and foremost, defense.

Strike Yandle, pursue OEL.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Yeah, but you were advocating moving RNH a few months ago as well. No offense, but I'll take your opinion about trading any of the big 5 with a grain of salt.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He played well, but 'unbelievable' is a bit much. The Senators were almost as sloppy and they had an equally brutal PP.

I agree. The shot totals don't look good, but it's not like we gave them a lot of great chances. I can't recall ONE grade "A" chance Ottawa got in the third to score a goal. All of their shots were perimeter or point shots. Not taking anything away from Dooby; he stopped what he had to. But we didn't give Ottawa too many great scoring chances AT ALL, so he didn't have to be especially brilliant. But he was there to stop all he had to (except that fluke which I don't fault him for), so it was definitely a great performance by him. Hopefully this is a confidence builder for him; I think it has to be; he has to feel good about this one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's noticeably better defensively. Coming back into the zone, making sure the puck gets out over the line instead turning over the puck.

To me, Yak looks like he's being over tentative. Staying way back and not getting involved much in forechecking or pushing the play, especially after the first period when they got the 2-0 lead. I want him to play both ways, but this is just looking forced now, and not good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'll take the 2 points and run. I don't care how sloppy we played, I'm just glad to win. Loving Perron right now, and glad Dubnyk had a good outing.

I'll take the 2 points as well, but I disagree after that. I DO care whether we play sloppy or not, because if it becomes a habit, the scores will eventually reflect that.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I know some people feel that we played terribly, but I liked our defensive effort in terms of physicality and second effort on turnovers. We didn't leave Dubnyk out to dry as much as usual.

Totally agree. Sens had a lot of shots, yes, but NOT a lot of good scoring opportunities--in fact, almost ZERO in the third. I'll take that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nice to finally win, but man, we have to be one of the lowest hockey I.Q. teams in the league. The powerplay is beyond atrocious.

RNH could have had two more points from assists though, even though he's looking shaky at times, he had a good game.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
2 day break before the next game. Hopefully one of those days is purely a special teams practice.

Looking ahead to Tuesday, I think Jones will slot in irregardless of anyone we call up. I'd put Jones with Gordon and mix Smyth or Hemsky with the Top-6. Grebs comes out, Nick Schultz back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad