Oilers battle out a greasy win 3-1!

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Exactly, and I think the most overhyped guy was RNH. Guys were comparing him to Gretzky for frick sakes. Would have been nice if we could of had a core of Eberle, Tavares, Hall, RNH, Trouba and just started the rebuild a year earlier but hind sight is 20-20 and how we're we supposed to know at the time?

Yeah, 52p in 62 games in his rookie season = overhyped. :help: The guy is coming off shoulder surgery. Give him some time to get up to speed for gods sake.

Seriously, posts like these are so lame. Their stats show they're doing fine compared with other top picks. Management and coaching have just done a crappy job at supporting these players is all.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
good win, although we were outplayed.

but hey.... when we outplayed the other team, we lost those games, so I'm not complaining.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I felt that Edmonton actually did a good job managing traffic in front of Dubnyk. Seemed like Dubnyk had a pretty clear sight line on a lot of shots, and the odd rebound he did let out was quickly steered to the boards.

Dubnyk deserved a shutout this afternoon, honestly. Was very sharp, looked calm in net.

Once Doobie became more comfortable his positioning improved. Agreed that Edmonton's D played better. For me when a goalie 'steals' a game there are a couple 'how the hell did he stop that' plays. There wasn't a need to do that today.

Willis gave him an 8 for his grade today, which is fair IMO. Stealing a game is a 9 or a 10.

Don't get me wrong though. Doobie plays like this every game and this is a playoff team that can win a round. Hopefully it's a good long stretch until we see Dubnykov again!

Doobie definitely got lucky in the first period. But sometimes you gotta be lucky to be good.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, 52p in 62 games in his rookie season = overhyped. :help: The guy is coming off shoulder surgery. Give him some time to get up to speed for gods sake.

Seriously, posts like these are so lame. Their stats show they're doing fine compared with other top picks. Management and coaching have just done a crappy job at supporting these players is all.

It is when guys are comparing him to Gretzky or even a Gretzky light. Guys are expecting RNH to be 100 point center and I don't think they realize how hard it is to do in this league now.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
invisible

Uhm? 1st goal of the game he is on a 2 on 1 with Eberle and draws out the defender to him giving Eberle pretty much a breakaway. 2nd goal Eberle passes him the puck Yakupov walks in to the slot takes a wicked wrister that leads to a rebound for Nuge to bury. Please tell me how that is playing invisible?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
23rd in the league and all the teams below us are from the East... Granted most of them have games in hand on us, but that's still pretty bad.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
23rd in the league and all the teams below us are from the East... Granted most of them have games in hand on us, but that's still pretty bad.

Need to string some wins together and hopefully play lights out against the west the rest of the way out.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Move RNH? Ok...as if the YAK for Yandle post wasn't dumb enuff. I couldn't let this one slide. Step away from the pipe my buddy.

Haha go propose Bergeron+Boychuk for RNH on the main boards and we'll see who's smoking a pipe!

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It is when guys are comparing him to Gretzky or even a Gretzky light. Guys are expecting RNH to be 100 point center and I don't think they realize how hard it is to do in this league now.

It was an Oilers scout who compared RNH's vision with Gretzky's at the draft iirc. Silly either way and I don't think anyone really took that comparison seriously. The more realistic ones were Sakic and Datsyuk. Expecting RNH to be a ppg, 2-way centerman is definitely fair imo. Expecting any of our players to hit 100 would definitely be pushing it, though, I agree.

Conkanen*

Haha go propose Bergeron+Boychuk for RNH on the main boards and we'll see who's smoking a pipe!

What are talking about man? SHEESH. 100 pts? Gretzky? Can't match up with Crosby in the playoffs? Make no wonder you don't like RNH.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It was an Oilers scout who compared RNH's vision with Gretzky's at the draft iirc. Silly either way and I don't think anyone really took that comparison seriously. The more realistic ones were Sakic and Datsyuk. Expecting RNH to be a ppg, 2-way centerman is definitely fair imo. Expecting any of our players to hit 100 would definitely be pushing it, though, I agree.

This I agree with, I see him as an 80-90 point Center in his prime although I don't know if Id classify him as a two way center more of a playmaker who's great defensively. I think a two way center should be a minimum 55% on the dot.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
What are talking about man? SHEESH. 100 pts? Gretzky? Can't match up with Crosby in the playoffs? Make no wonder you don't like RNH.

So RNH wasn't compared to Gretzky coming out of the draft? People weren't calling him a 100 point center while I was saying he'd be an 80 point center? And do you think we can win a cup with our two top centers being RNH and Gagner? It's not that I don't like RNH, its that I want what's best for the team. And that I want to see this team win a cup not just challenge for the playoffs and get booted in the 1st or second round every year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Exactly, and I think the most overhyped guy was RNH. Guys were comparing him to Gretzky for frick sakes. Would have been nice if we could of had a core of Eberle, Tavares, Hall, RNH, Trouba and just started the rebuild a year earlier but hind sight is 20-20 and how we're we supposed to know at the time?

RNH has really great vision on the ice and produced at an extremely high level when not bothered by a shoulder injury.

Hall + Yakupov I think are the weaker links given they were no.1 overall picks. Hockey I.Q. is definitely lacking with these two.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
RNH has really great vision on the ice and produced at an extremely high level when not bothered by a shoulder injury.

Hall + Yakupov I think are the weaker links given they were no.1 overall picks. Hockey I.Q. is definitely lacking with these two.

I have no doubt that all our 1st overalls are going to be good players. But in saying that I have no problem moving any of them if the return is right.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have no doubt that all our 1st overalls are going to be good players. But in saying that I have no problem moving any of them if the return is right.

I move Hall and Yakupov before RNH.

Simply put a deal even like Yakupov + Hemsky for Couturier + Simmonds addresses a lot of needs.

But people are really obsessed with "balance" ... I think we still lack high end talent. None of our kids are a Tavares/Stamkos level player, though at his peak I think RNH will be the closest.

He can control/change the game with his vision and has the most room to grow because physically he's only going to get stronger each of the next three years.

Even today IMO he won us the game, whereas Hall/Yakupov haven't been able to win us a game, he easily could've had another 2 points if Smyth and Hemsky could've finished the beauty feeds he set them up with.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I move Hall and Yakupov before RNH.

Simply put a deal even like Yakupov + Hemsky for Couturier + Simmonds addresses a lot of needs.

But people are really obsessed with "balance" ... I think we still lack high end talent. None of our kids are a Tavares/Stamkos level player, though at his peak I think RNH will be the closest.

He can control/change the game with his vision and has the most room to grow because physically he's only going to get stronger each of the next three years.

I see the exact opposite, Hall is the one who will take over games and score at will and RNH is a more cerebral player who will put up a bunch of points but doesn't make any huge plays similar to Thornton in San Jose. To me my order of moving guys goes like this Yakupov(Least developed), RNH(Good Player will cost a lot), Eberle(Kid can play with anyone), Hall (to much determination to trade him, kind of guy who wins you cups)

Conkanen*

So RNH wasn't compared to Gretzky coming out of the draft? People weren't calling him a 100 point center while I was saying he'd be an 80 point center? And do you think we can win a cup with our two top centers being RNH and Gagner? It's not that I don't like RNH, its that I want what's best for the team. And that I want to see this team win a cup not just challenge for the playoffs and get booted in the 1st or second round every year.

So if you think the majority were comparing him to Gretzky then I don't know what to tell you. I heard the words "remind" or "sees the ice like" or "skates like" but with the unanimous caveat that HE IS NOT GRETZKY.

You think the Black Hawks would be happy with Gagner as a 2nd line Center?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see the exact opposite, Hall is the who will take over games and score at will and RNH is a more cerebral player who will put up a bunch of points but doesn't make any huge plays similar to Thornton in San Jose. To me my order of moving guys goes like this Yakupov(Least developed), RNH(Good Player will cost a lot), Eberle(Kid can play with anyone), Hall (to much determination to trade him, kind of guy who wins you cups)

For all the "Hall can take over the game" I just don't see it often enough. Yes, he makes a big "fuss" on the ice with his skating, but his hands IMO leave something to be desired. Doesn't have an elite shot and keeps doing that stupid toe drag move that works like 1/50 times. Turn over machine too.

Colorado, I hate to say it, is turning into what we were hoping to be I think. They are going to be the next great "young guns" team in the NHL it looks like.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

It does, but I don't feel its enough. I'm weary over Couturier about his untapped offensive potential. I just dunno about that. He's a solid checker and a big body down the middle, but jury is out whether his offense is strictly potential or bubbling under. Just not convinced.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So if you think the majority were comparing him to Gretzky then I don't know what to tell you. I heard the words "remind" or "sees the ice like" or "skates like" but with the unanimous caveat that HE IS NOT GRETZKY.

You think the Black Hawks would be happy with Gagner as a 2nd line Center?

Do you think RNH could outplay Toews in a 7 game series?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you think RNH outplay Toews in a 7 game series?

In 3-4 years when he's 15 pounds heavier, considerably stronger, and more seasoned?

Depends on the team around him, but I wouldn't be that shocked.

Conkanen*

For all the "Hall can take over the game" I just don't see it often enough. Yes, he makes a big "fuss" on the ice with his skating, but his hands IMO leave something to be desired. Doesn't have an elite shot and keeps doing that stupid toe drag move that works like 1/50 times. Turn over machine too.

Colorado, I hate to say it, is turning into what we were hoping to be I think. They are going to be the next great "young guns" team in the NHL it looks like.

Couldn't agree more with all that.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'll take the W but I have lots of concerns. Zero killer instinct on this club and simply without a clue how to close a game out. PP after PP and two full periods with a 2-0 lead and can't get the 3 goal lead. Worst 5-3 execution I've ever seen in my life.

Dubs is the only reason we're counting a W here.

Going to resist the conventional wisdom here that Nuge played any sort of great game. Don't necessarily agree.
He was largely responsible for the 5 on 3 being **** and how on Earth does an NHL player have their head down entering zone on a 5 on 3 and not even noting he's running directly into the only 3 Sens skaters on the ice. Somebody explain that play to me. Nuge also had two brutal giveaways in while on a different PP. Twice he played the puck up high, it got intercepted and led to Sens scoring chances.

I like Nuges confidence offensively this year, and showing some swagger, but his GA this year is looming large and not entirely by accident.

This team has to learn to seal the deal.

Against my better judgement, I agree with you. RNH was the weak link on most of our PPs, and had a number of turn-overs.

The Oilers didn't deserve this win, but Dubnyk stole it for us.

Eberle was by far the best player not in net... an absolute phenom out there. Perron really adding something to the team that didn't exist before... love him.

Yak still looks lazy. There is absolutely no drive to get the puck unless it's passed to him... he needs motivation. I am also really worried about what's going on behind the scenes. After Eberle scored, Yak went in for the hug and Eberle didn't even look at him - instead waiting for RNH to join... After RNH scored, Yak wasn't even in the celebration, and he had to tap RNH on the back to congratulate him, as RNH skated back to the bench with a minor look of acknowledgement. This, coupled with Hall's little vent on Yak last game, makes me wonder if I'm looking into this too much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad