Oilers battle out a greasy win 3-1!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nope.

Over the last two seasons our power play always performed better when Horcoff was in the lineup and the lack of a solid net presence has really hurt it this year.

This is textbook false attribution. Horcoff in recent incarnations had next to nothing to do with a successful PP. Even the term "net presence" is misleading here.

In fact the only year I can think of where Horcoff was doing this much was last year where Krueger apparently disliked Smyth enough to give Horc the assignment. Horc wasn't too good at it either.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
well Ryan Smyth is still around... I'm sure even in his old age he still provides "net presence"...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You should watch over some highlights of our power play goals from the last two seasons and count how many of the goals involved Horcoff screening the goalie or tying up a defenceman to create space for our other forwards to work down low.

He was quite effective.

What good is screening a goalie if you only get 4 shots on 6 PP's? Not saying Horcoff>Gordon or Gordon>Horcoff on the PP, but simply put 4 shots is unacceptable.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Willis and Dellow were saying on twitter they think the PP is fine, Oilers are just snakebitten right now. In terms of shots generated during the PP, things are going well, we're just not putting them in.

The PK is a different problem.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Willis and Dellow were saying on twitter they think the PP is fine, Oilers are just snakebitten right now. In terms of shots generated during the PP, things are going well, we're just not putting them in.

:facepalm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

They must not have watched the 5 on 3 last game which illustrates perfectly well everything wrong with out pk from tentative play to struggles gaining the zone, to taking weak probability shots, (when we even take shots) and not getting anything in front of net and not often challenging to get in the dangerous areas. SOG were 1-1 during that full 5 on 3 PP. Unbelievable.

Our PP is not only boring its looking for the same cross ice passes all the time that every club in the league know we do incessantly. I think it possible out PP may be a secretly designed foil to make the opponent fall asleep, or bend over laughing. ;)

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
What good is screening a goalie if you only get 4 shots on 6 PP's? Not saying Horcoff>Gordon or Gordon>Horcoff on the PP, but simply put 4 shots is unacceptable.

I personally think battling a d-man, who doesn't want you screening the goalie, is just as important as the actual screen. It breaks down the perfect square, tires defenders out more than them just drifting back and forth watching passes, gives you a better chance to win a corner race, gives you a guy there ready to battle for the puck if it does make it, and doesn't rely on perfect pass after perfect pass to create the space.

Note: Definitely not saying that having Horcoff is what would make us better in this situation, but someone would be battle there.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
They must not have watched the 5 on 3 last game which illustrates perfectly well everything wrong with out pk from tentative play to struggles gaining the zone, to taking weak probability shots, (when we even take shots) and not getting anything in front of net and not often challenging to get in the dangerous areas. SOG were 1-1 during that full 5 on 3 PP. Unbelievable.

Our PP is not only boring its looking for the same cross ice passes all the time that every club in the league know we do incessantly. I think it possible out PP may be a secretly designed foil to make the opponent fall asleep, or bend over laughing. ;)

Sorry I think they said other than the Ottawa game. Dellow said he went back and watched video from all the other games and it wasn't bad, just wasn't scoring.

I think everyone agrees the 5-on-3 was laughably bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad