Oilers battle out a greasy win 3-1!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, but you were advocating moving RNH a few months ago as well. No offense, but I'll take your opinion about trading any of the big 5 with a grain of salt.

With the way RNH is playing I wouldn't be spouting off about keeping him. And I've said the whole time that we need to move one of RNH or Gagner if we're keeping all our wingers. If we move Yakupov I wouldn't move RNH, and only consider moving Gagner if we can't find a more physical winger. Also I said I would only move RNH for a gross overpayment like Bergeron+Boychuk or Shattenkirk+Berglund because I felt that would help the team more then moving Gagner for a lesser return especially when we can have Perron-Eberle-Hall-Yakupov as our top 4 wingers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Send down: Grebs, Brown

Call up: Pitlick, Eager, Omark

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Omark
Smyth-Arcobello-Hemsky
Eager-Pitlick-Jones
Acton/Gazdic

Send Omark down when Hall is back

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
LOL, Eakins admits they haven't spent enough time practising the PP and it was probably a mistake to not have them work on it in the last practise.

Gee ... ya think? :laugh:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Don't know if I agree with the outplayed badly.

Ottawa isn't a very good team either. Agreed there was too much traffic in front of the net, but it is slowly getting better.

Just wish Nuge would learn how to take a faceoff.

I felt that Edmonton actually did a good job managing traffic in front of Dubnyk. Seemed like Dubnyk had a pretty clear sight line on a lot of shots, and the odd rebound he did let out was quickly steered to the boards.

Dubnyk deserved a shutout this afternoon, honestly. Was very sharp, looked calm in net.

The PP was obviously the worst part of the Oilers game. That two minute 5-on-3 was particularly brutal. Just tried to get cute, didn't have speed entering the zone and failed to make tape to tape passes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With the way RNH is playing I wouldn't be spouting off about keeping him. And I've said the whole time that we need to move one of RNH or Gagner if we're keeping all our wingers. If we move Yakupov I wouldn't move RNH, and only think consider moving Gagner if we can't find a more physical winger. Also I said I would only move RNH for a gross overpayment like Bergeron+Boychuk or Shattenkirk+Berglund because I felt that would help the team more then moving Gagner for a lesser return especially when we can have Perron-Eberle-Hall-Yakupov as our top 4 wingers.

RNH is the franchise player IMO (not Hall). Not open at all to dealing him unless a superstar center who is under the age of 28 is coming back.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nice to finally win, but man, we have to be one of the lowest hockey I.Q. teams in the league. The powerplay is beyond atrocious.

RNH could have had two more points from assists though, even though he's looking shaky at times, he had a good game.

I think it might actually be the opposite. Sometimes very smart people tend to over think things, instead of just going with the flow and their gut instinct. I think this could be the case. Eakins has to tell them to keep it simple, go with their gut; it's usually right, anyway.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Honestly, what does Brown bring to this team, other than skating real fast in a straight line and having a really cool mustache?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
With the way RNH is playing I wouldn't be spouting off about keeping him. And I've said the whole time that we need to move one of RNH or Gagner if we're keeping all our wingers. If we move Yakupov I wouldn't move RNH, and only consider moving Gagner if we can't find a more physical winger. Also I said I would only move RNH for a gross overpayment like Bergeron+Boychuk or Shattenkirk+Berglund because I felt that would help the team more then moving Gagner for a lesser return especially when we can have Perron-Eberle-Hall-Yakupov as our top 4 wingers.

That is such a terrible thing to do.

It's always fantasy trades. Nothing more, nothing else.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That is such a terrible thing to do.

It's always fantasy trades. Nothing more, nothing else.

I don't see why people can't see the value in trading him if its a gross overpayment given what he's shown so far. I think he's going to be a special player but I'm worried he won't be able to handle the elite players in the playoffs.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Honestly, what does Brown bring to this team, other than skating real fast in a straight line and having a really cool mustache?

Besides the odd hit, absolutely nothing. Hard to believe he's in the NHL. I think I'd rather have Omark in his spot, and give that line a little bit of offense, and I'm not even an Omark fan! But Brown is pretty brutal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're just going to insert Jones back into the lineup until Hall is back. I think that's the only change.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
The HFBoard servers must love it when the Oilers win. If we had lost this game, this PGT would have 3x as many posts by now.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think he's going to be a special player but I'm worried he won't be able to handle the elite players in the playoffs.

Obviously you don't think he's all that special if you have concerns he couldn't match up against other elite players down the line.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Obviously you don't think he's all that special if you have concerns he couldn't match up against other elite players down the line.

Not in the next 5 years when we need to be winning cups. I think he'll put up a ton of points but I don't know if I want him going head to head against Kopitar or Toews or Crosby, etc... Right now. Also don't see Gagner doing it so we need to move one in the next year or two for a guy with less offence but more shutdown capabilities. JMO

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Not in the next 5 years when we need to be winning cups. I think he'll put up a ton of points but I don't know if I want him going head to head against Kopitar or Toews or Crosby, etc... Right now. Also don't see Gagner doing it so we need to move one in the next year or two for a guy with less offence but more shutdown capabilities. JMO

you also wanted Tyler Bozak to replace Gagner :laugh:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
-All those penalties really took away from the game.
-Too bad Dubnyk didn't get shutout because of that fluke goal.
-Hopefully Hall's injury isn't too serious.
-The Senators broadcast is as bad as Vancouver's. Very happy I don't have to hear it, hopefully for a long time.
-These road games have had very quiet arenas despite more animosity than most inter conference games have

The arena was loud, The Sens didn't give the fans much to cheer for. in my section (306) there were leafs suck, go oilers, go sens and alfie chants alone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

LOL, lets just make the playoffs first shall we before wondering about fantasy scenarios of matching up against Crosby. We're a ways away.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
LOL, lets just make the playoffs first shall we before wondering about fantasy scenarios of matching up against Crosby. We're a ways away.

Haha that's the problem I have a hard time seeing us making the playoffs with this team in the next couple years. Need to balance the core one way or another and move a kid for a top pairing d or young top 4 with potential as a #1. People want the upgrades just don't want to move anyone of value of get them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Haha that's the problem I have a hard time seeing us making the playoffs with this team in the next couple years. Need to balance the core one way or another and move a kid for a top pairing d or young top 4 with potential as a #1. People want the upgrades just don't want to move anyone of value of get them.

We picked a crappy time to tank, we're just not as good as I think we've been hyped to be.

We may get there eventually it may just take a lot of time. If any one of the core guys is dealt it'll be Yakupov IMO. RNH/Hall/Eberle are not gonna be moved, unless it's like Tavares/Karlsson/Stamkos or something ridiculous coming back.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
you also wanted Tyler Bozak to replace Gagner :laugh:

Yea wanting the guy playing on the 1st line on the 2nd place team in the East makes me look bad? :help: not to mention 5 points in 8 games playing 21 minutes a night in all situations. Same goes for Franson, where's all the Franson haters now that he's looking lights out in TO?

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
LOL, Eakins admits they haven't spent enough time practising the PP and it was probably a mistake to not have them work on it in the last practise.

Gee ... ya think? :laugh:

like i heard on the NJ game... Chico Resch and his PBP guy mentioned that Eakin's said he didnt implement a lot of his system yet and it would have to "wait until a long break (olympics?)"... paraphrased...

pretty bad admissions here from such a fitness tyrant to have your machine executing your program like garbage.

not really a fan of this dude but i'll live with it for now. obviously not a Pat Quinn dufus... yet.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We picked a crappy time to tank, we're just not as good as I think we've been hyped to be.

We may get there eventually it may just take a lot of time. If any one of the core guys is dealt it'll be Yakupov IMO. RNH/Hall/Eberle are not gonna be moved, unless it's like Tavares/Karlsson/Stamkos or something ridiculous coming back.

Exactly, and I think the most overhyped guy was RNH. Guys were comparing him to Gretzky for frick sakes. Would have been nice if we could of had a core of Eberle, Tavares, Hall, RNH, Trouba and just started the rebuild a year earlier but hind sight is 20-20 and how we're we supposed to know at the time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad