Oilers battle out a greasy win 3-1!

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
pretty good game. my prediction happened exactly in reverse: 3-1 with an empty netter... but the OILERS winning instead. i'll take it!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Good assessment from 3000 miles away and on a television set.:laugh:

There was hardly any mechanism on that play. It's not like they were skating at top speed and collided head on. Does Hall have a history of Knee injuries that I don't know about?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Nuge has already matched his goal output from last season

There was hardly any mechanism on that play. It's not like they were skating at top speed and collided head on. Does Hall have a history of Knee injuries that I don't know about?

He hurt the same knee when he took out Clutterbuck last year, he missed 1 or 2 games after his suspension to heal up, I don't know how bad it was though.

edit : Just looked back, apparently it was a hamstring injury.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'll take the 2 points and run. I don't care how sloppy we played, I'm just glad to win. Loving Perron right now, and glad Dubnyk had a good outing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
no, nothing medical at all.... i'm just not freaking blind, and can see when a players leg bends the wrong way and he loses all stability in it.... but yeah, i have no authority whatsoever to make this claim, no doubt about that

No, you really don't. You're just jumping to conclusions and throwing out the worst case scenario based on a hunch.
It could very well be a long term injury but there's no way you can tell how bad it is based on some clips you saw on TV.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll take the W but I have lots of concerns. Zero killer instinct on this club and simply without a clue how to close a game out. PP after PP and two full periods with a 2-0 lead and can't get the 3 goal lead. Worst 5-3 execution I've ever seen in my life.

Dubs is the only reason we're counting a W here.

Going to resist the conventional wisdom here that Nuge played any sort of great game. Don't necessarily agree.
He was largely responsible for the 5 on 3 being **** and how on Earth does an NHL player have their head down entering zone on a 5 on 3 and not even noting he's running directly into the only 3 Sens skaters on the ice. Somebody explain that play to me. Nuge also had two brutal giveaways in while on a different PP. Twice he played the puck up high, it got intercepted and led to Sens scoring chances.

I like Nuges confidence offensively this year, and showing some swagger, but his GA this year is looming large and not entirely by accident.

This team has to learn to seal the deal.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
A few guys took a step in the right direction tonight, RNH, Petry, J Schultz and Yak were noticeably better than usual

Oct 30, 2011
I know some people feel that we played terribly, but I liked our defensive effort in terms of physicality and second effort on turnovers. We didn't leave Dubnyk out to dry as much as usual.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
its almost like one of the guys works for the team and wants to limit the speculation and is searching for a positive and one guy has no ties to the team and just reports what he sees, lol

i essentially never believe anything coming from an oilers employee regarding injuries, as they try and downplay them EVERY... FREAKING... TIME

Looking at the twitter accounts Gene looks like the one who is much more in touch...

I'm not sure why you're so adamant that Hall is going to be out longterm. It could happen but it's not guaranteed.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nuge has already matched his goal output from last season

He hurt the same knee when he took out Clutterbuck last year, he missed 1 or 2 games after his suspension to heal up, I don't know how bad it was though.

That was a charlie horse if I remember correctly?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Perron bad?

What?

He caused a lot of trouble, and was by the net a lot tonight. I didn't mind his game at all.

I loved when he grabbed Karlsson with about 3:30 to go, to try to sucker him into taking a penalty, and therefore off the ice for 2 important minutes. In the end it didn't matter, but it was a smart, veteran-like move to try.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Time to climb the mountain.

Our special teams haven't been horrible the past few years and now this year they're atrocious. PK didn't give up a goal but a lot of chances.

Dubnyk was great. Stole it, won it, about time. Thanks.

I'm usually hard on Jeff Petry but he was amazing tonight. Justin Schultz was less terrible defensively than usual tonight. Having to rely on them for half the game though just shows how bad our D core is.

Nice to see Yak get a point and maybe move things in the right direction for him tonight. He had some nice plays all over the ice at times tonight.

I can't wait until Gagner's back so Will Acton can get shipped down to the A. Arcobello wins faceoffs too, plays defense and at least can move the puck a bit. He can be the 4th line C and see spot duty elsewhere. Acton is a statue out their and our 4th line constantly gets owned in our own end.

Nick Schultz benched? Christmas came early for me. And of course it resulted in a win. In a chippy game like this he would have been good for at least 2 stupid penalties.

I wish we could have made Ottawa pay a little more for their goonery tonight. Our PP was awful.

I don't know if this team needs more bodies but I wish we could draft big vats of guts, confidence and composure because this team has none of it. I'm tired of watching PPs and defensive zone play where you can watch guys shaking on TV. It would be nice to watch this team play like men for 60 minutes just once. Haven't seen it in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I know some people feel that we played terribly, but I liked our defensive effort in terms of physicality and second effort on turnovers. We didn't leave Dubnyk out to dry as much as usual.

We were outshot, outhit, outplayed badly and left a lot of traffic in front of Dubs most of the night.

Not a recipe for wins here. If Dubs doesn't bag a shutout most of the way, and Sens are not plain awful trying to score goals we don't get a W here. Sens have about the worst popgun offense in the league in my books. Ryan should help but never much liked the Sens offensively.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think there is any other team in the NHL that deserves a greasy win more than Edmonton because of how much we've been robbed so far this season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No, you really don't. You're just jumping to conclusions and throwing out the worst case scenario based on a hunch.
It could very well be a long term injury but there's no way you can tell how bad it is based on some clips you saw on TV.

Exactly hope for the best look for the worst. From what I seen just based on the mechanism I'm not overly worried. In saying that I haven't assessed him thoroughly, so he may very well have a long term injury but if there's a lot of swelling it'll be a day or two before we know anything for sure.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So the question is...

How can we go back to getting outshooting the opponent by 10 but still get good goaltending?

Need a true #1 or even a #2 Dman to make deft outlet passes. Think back to Pronger and how he could make a great pass within 2 seconds of grabbing the puck, and it would be on the tape and almost never intercepted or turned over by him directly. A trade for Yandle or someone similar would be a God send.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We were outshot, outhit, outplayed badly and left a lot of traffic in front of Dubs most of the night.

Not a recipe for wins here. If Dubs doesn't bag a shutout most of the way, and Sens are not plain awful trying to score goals we don't get a W here. Sens have about the worst popgun offense in the league in my books. Ryan should help but never much liked the Sens offensively.

Well outplaying other teams didn't seem to work. ;)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 31s
Taylor Hall just walked out of Edmonton dressing room.Not a doctor but no major limp and didn't seem to be overly favouring his left knee. Good news!

Thank God! I hope this is true.

Please, God. Let Hall's need be okay! I will sacrifice a lamb if need be.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Don't know if I agree with the outplayed badly.

Ottawa isn't a very good team either. Agreed there was too much traffic in front of the net, but it is slowly getting better.

Just wish Nuge would learn how to take a faceoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad